Welcome, one and all, to the first monthly Word-to-Card Contest! The rules are simple: I give you a word, and you design a card that relates to that word!
This month’s word is: PACIFIST
- Design a card that relates to the word of the month in any way
- You may only submit one card
- It is highly recommended that you submit your card in the correct format
- Try to choose the most relevant piece of Duelyst art for your card, but don’t worry – that is not judged
- Don’t make an obviously overpowered or underpowered card
- Don’t copy cards other people have posted or cards from other card games
- You can’t make up your own keywords (there is no need for a single card), but you can invent special tiles and tokens
- Jury members cannot submit cards for the competition or vote for the top 10
- This thread is ONLY for card submissions; discuss cards on one of the two custom card threads
Make a card on this website and upload it here, then write an explanation under it. At minimum, this explanation should explain how your card relates to the word of the month. You may also add any balance/design thoughts behind the card, and if your card is a different faction than the art you chose, make sure to state that.
Explanation: This card relates to the word of the month “gratitude” because you thank the sun for slanting through the roof of a broken castle and lighting up your world. Although healing your General to full health seems overpowered, you have to play this card thrice in a game with no effect the first two times, and with a total mana cost of 15.
Every month there will be three different jury members who will look through every submitted card and choose three of them to nominate. I will nominate one card as well. These top ten cards will be put into a poll for the community to vote on. Here is how the jury members and I will evaluate cards:
Formality (5 points): Is the wording of the card up to Duelyst standards (the way the majority of cards are written, ignoring aberrations such as “pull some things to this” and “a cub joins the pack”)? Can you clearly understand how the card works?
Flavor (10 points): How well does the card relate to the word of the month? Do the name and rarity seem fitting for the card’s abilities?
Balance (15 points): How fair would the card be in the current meta?
Originality (20 points): How unique are the card’s name and abilities?
A big thanks to @yaviey for granting me my request for codes!
1st place: 5 Core Orbs, place in the jury next month
2nd place: 4 Core Orbs, place in the jury next month
3rd place: 3 Core Orbs, place in the jury next month
This Month’s Jury
Since there was obviously no competition last month, you may be wondering if I will greedily grab all the power and be judge, jury, and executioner for this first competition. You would be right… unless the winners of my [Totally Official] Panddo Card Design Contest decide to step up for democracy’s sake. Here they are:
October 15 – Submissions close (jury members cannot nominate cards posted after the 14th), jury nominations begin
October 22 – Jury nominations end (any jury member who is laggardly will be removed from office at this point and I shall take over his/her nominations), public voting begins
October 31 – Public voting ends, winners are honored
Soon™ After – Prizes are given out to the top three winners
How do you turn a word into a card, you ask? The answer is: by using a cord or a ward.
- Yes! How clever! [gives self a pat on the back]
- No… [goes and sulks in a corner]