Now, before anyone reads something into this thread it’s not:
- I know 2 matches means nothing in terms of general capability of a faction, nor am I going to make a statement about the general status of Vetruvian.
- Rather, I am asking about what others think about the status.
- I am also asking for ways to cope with situations like these.
Until yesterday I didn’t have a big problem with the Siphon nerf, in a lot of matches I played it was inconvenient but solved with 3rd wish or some other stuff. It wasn’t that much of a deal really. I also don’t play Vetruvian that much btw.
But yesterday… oh my!
I have to now admit that Vetruvian can feel truly helpless now in certain match-ups without ‘global control spells’ (and again, not saying those situations are common or anything!).
I played against a Lilith Abyssian player the other day who put his general in a corner of the map with his bloodmoon priestess besides it and making sure with BBS and some kills that turn they were enveloped/covered in wraithlings.
It was at the start of the game and there was nothing I could do, with that deck.
Nothing at all.
I had entropic decay, 3rd wish, astral phasing, siphon energy and lightbender in my deck, maybe even an ephemeral scout. None of that works, at all.
I was seriously desperate and the match was not fun at all, I couldn’t do anything, even though I was at full health I could do nothing but wait for him to develop and kill me, or hope he’d make a mistake.
After the match I checked to see what I could have put in the deck to deal with the BMP in such a location (and by ‘deal with’, I mean a solution in the form of a single card solving it the same turn).
- Circle of Desiccation
The soft-solves (meaning more than a turn or more than 1 card or a specific board situation needed):
- Starfire Scarab (and next turn hopefully blast the BMP)
- Blast artifact + 2 turns OR a general attack buff OR Time Warp
- 2 Bone Swarms (only works if the general is next to the BMP, it was in my situation though)
- Blindscorch + Psychic Conduit and some board state that can kill it off
- Repulsor Beast (and move in with something big ebough to kill BMP) (also Ghost Lynx and Paddo, I guess)
- Dust Wailer (only when the BMP is at the ‘right side’ of the board)
- Ironclad (when it dies)
- 3x Skorn in a row, 3x Bloodtear Alchemist in a row or a combination of the two
- Ranged minions, and them living long enough to shoot it
That seems pretty bad. Did I miss anything?
So, what are people’s conclusions? Is that just the one matchup where you have to do everything in your power to prevent that situation, or is there more?
And what would you all do in this situation?
I am just curious… and tempted to now run 2x CoD in every Vetruvian deck, although the guy had that situation at the latest at 5 mana cores, so it would be very painful to just have to wait 3 turn for the 8 mana.
Maybe I should add some ranged neutrals? Or just not care because the situation is rare? What do you think?