Even though there will always be decks referred to as “meta” just because it’s very strong. When it isn’t it’s usually called “gimmick”.
Though in my experience with duelyst, the gimmick decks always tend to be the more fun ones! For many reasons like diversity, combo’s and great looking cards. I realize that it’s also nice feeling unique with your deck but if the balance would switch then the previous meta cards will become unique. That’s not what I’m trying to discuss for now
I haven’t played Duelyst religiously so I don’t have a whole lot of knowledge about older patches. Just tell me where I’m wrong
- Astral Crusader: Awesome looking card, one of the more unique themes and the ability suits him well. Has been strong in some Vetruvian decks with card draw (before the 1-card-draw-per-turn change).
- Black Locust: Just a really, really awesome card. Think of the possibilities! HP buffing, songhai copy, old Vindicator with rush… I think this was strong in one or two patches but other than that it has been garbage.
- Decimator: Exciting effect, cool card but pretty gimmick unless you’re running Starhorn with some Blaze Hounds etc. but even then it’s bound to be mediocre at best.
- Night Watcher: Didn’t try to play much with this card but damn does it look great. I haven’t seen anyone play it in gold/diamond since it was released. Maybe it’s stronger in tournaments because you anticipate a specific deck?
- All the old 7 mana neutral legendaries. Way back then they were played pretty often, Paddo got some hype, Pandora was played in Vanar and a Zureal was found here and there in Abyssian. When is the last time I saw these? A loooooong time ago…
- TheScientist: Now, TheScientist has disappeared from Earth but I believe he is a bit of a legendary, iconic figure/spokesman/poster boy for Duelyst. I’ve never, ever seen this card in any deck so I think it needs some love.
I could go on for a long time but all I’m saying is that the “meta” cards are way more often really boring and straightforward. Ephemeral Shroud, Bloodtear Alchemist, Dancing Blades, Primus Shieldmaster, Emerald Rejuvenator, Saberspine Tiger, Healing Mystic, Makantor, Ironcliffe Guardian, Chromatic Cold…
It could be that I have too little knowledge about how Digital TCG their development process works, how balance works or their view of a happy customer. But I do know my friends and I all feel the same way about how boring a meta is destined to be.