Duelyst Forums

Soviet Crankers for Vanar S Rankers

Greetings comrade, tis I: Josephstalin69 here with a compendium of frosty decks fresh from Soviet gulag.

Consider this thread a formal launching point for vanar deckbuilding.

My lists thus far:

https://www.bagoum.com/deckbuilder#MTo1MjcsMToxOTA1MiwxOjIwMzI0LDE6MjAxNDQsMToxMTA4NCwxOjExMDk4LDE6MjAxMzQsMTo1MDYsMToyMDE0NywxOjIwMTYwLDE6MTA5ODEsMTo1MTcsMToxMTAxNCwxOjEwOTc5LDE6MTkwMzcsMToxOTAyNiwxOjExMDQ2LDE6MTExNDIsMToxMTEyNSwxOjEwOTg3LDE6MTAwMTYsMToxMTEwNSwxOjExMDQzLDE6MTA5NzYsMToxMTE1MSwxOjE5MDQyLDE6MTAzMDYsMTo1NjEsMToxOTAyNywxOjUxMywxOjU2MCwxOjExMDY0LDE6MTExMTIsMToyMDI3NiwxOjExMDMwLDE6MTEwMjMsMToxMDk2MywxOjExMTQ5LDE6MTEwOTMsMToxMTE0Mw==
edit: picture below, courtesy of your beloved motherland:

1. Wanderer Kara

Buns of ice and thicc AF to boot, this merciless babushka is latest breakthrough in proud line of soviet engineering. Previous version of deck hit s in 63 wins, and this deck is only better.

+1/+1 wandering punches hit strong like wolf’s milk, so we at soviet gulag figured logical next step following night in with vodka: why not +2/+2? Glorious!

Deck tips:

• early game generally has three lines of play: flood, tempo, or ramp. Key to mastering deck is knowing when to pull each.

Cards to hold for notable matchups:

Vetruvian:

• maw
  • frostbone naga (particularly powerful vs dreamgazer starts)
  • malicious wisp (esp. as p2)
  • lightbender
  • walls

Faie:

• malicious wisp (vanar removal has nothing for it)
  • provokes (cycle bone reaper in opening hands, cycle kron if p1 and no ramp)
  • healing
  • token generators
  • focus on hand dumps to minimize power of hailstone prison, hold dispel if two turn lethal is in sight due to rising popularity of shroud.

Songhai

• chromatic cold
  • tempo OG minions
  • dispel (if arcanyst)
  • aer pridebeak, provokes, healing if mantra
  • hold 1 hard removal if aggressive mantra in anticipation of marauder. Never hit face like wimpy capitalist dog, lest fiery spells melt your siberian winter
  • cloudcaller is particularly powerful if playing as p2 vs kaleos. Always position around flamewreath and painter. Mulligan hard for removal and dispel as p2; scroll bandit seizes our means of production.

Vaath:

• any wall, any provoke.
  • position around random silhouette tracer and you should win if you be russian dat wanderer out (HA! Laugh with leader or siberian gulag for you).

Ragnora:

• pings
  • provokes
  • note malicious wisp is particularly weak in this mu unless you are facing a fellow wanderer. Then it wins you the game unless they draw lance.

Starhorn

• hold heal for burst combos
  • focus on dropping provokes and larger minions, horn lacks removal is comrades hold. Be wary of natural selection
  • hold hard removal for nukes like visionar and vindicator (dispel works here)

Ziran

• back up, play larger minions
  • hold dispel for the hurrdurr cleric play
  • win like bolshevik mofo.

General tips:

• wanderer -> curve into jax + bbs

• master razorback; do not be afraid to play him for tempo. Big late game combos are useless if you dead.

• tigress and kron are mvps. If backlined, they outvalue any other wanderer list.

• be wary of handsize. Deck is designed to tempo out early, as wanderer boosts generally do not relinquish a hard-won board.

• grav well + tahr go together like glorious shoe and shoelace: One is meaningless without the other (cue Soviet National anthem).

• if against aggro, hold your heals for one turn, as you have a better chance of throwing of their lethal calcs

• lady lock + 2x two drop on 7 is magical.

• cycle saberspine alpha unless a two turn lethal is in the cards.

• avoid punching face in general.

Weak matchups:

• creep cassyva (rare, luckily)
  • burn horn

Techs to consider:
-for backline threats: aspect of shim’zar, freeblade
-for artifacts: rokadoptera, rust crawler

• for stuff that out-tempos you: rokadoptera, dancing blades,deathblighter
  • for hurrdurr aggro: rescue RX, woodwen
  • for the hand size-challenged: l’kian, circulus (combos well with locke), blue conjuror (too slow to maindeck imo)
  • for those who play aggressively: gtfo. Faie is a thing.

More decks to come, but too tired from Borsche food coma. Till next time, comrades.

Coming soon: Tigress tempo faie

14 Likes

It’s Borscht! You’re not real Stalin!

On topic. Deck picture would be nice.

6 Likes

Surprised that Creep Cass has the upper edge against the Mighty Wanderer… Any reason why?

0 Likes

removal spam + board ignoring wincon ruins minioned-based board-winning deck :frowning:

0 Likes

American lies. To the gulag with you.

Updated to include imgur picture.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sick capitalist propaganda. Siberia will seize your means of production with the force of a thousand Baba Yagas.

3 Likes

I see. Hundreds of war tractors are already crossing my borders.

5 Likes

In Soviet Russia, your means of production seize you

7 Likes

I should put a trademark on any locke combo XD

3 Likes

My trademark is already on Locke Shadowstalk though :stuck_out_tongue: But you can have the rest.

2 Likes

I take Locke Priestess then. A bit slow, but much funnier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edit: trademark on any locke within the vanar borders.
Mostly - walls and vespyrs XD

1 Like

4 Likes

Epic rap battle of history :heart:

4 Likes

Have you tried Firestarter? I figure it’d be quite good, but then again you don’t run too many spells, so I’m not sure.

1 Like

Starter is ok, the spell requirement threw me off.

Definitely worth re-test, however, as I barely played with it.

0 Likes

Yeah, your spell count is pretty low, so it’s probably too weak, but even as a 6 mana 5/7 that summons a 3/3 rush it doesn’t sound too bad.

The other thing I was thinking about, and I genuinely hope it’s bad, is Bloodsworn Gambler. 4/5 ranged with… that ability.

3 Likes

You should update your tech with Mirkblood Devourer ASAP and make it a proper +3/+3.

2 Likes

I added the deck to the wiki! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like