Sir Althur’s Abyssian lists; Volume II

Introduction

Hello and welcome to the second installment of my Abyssian decklists, this time exclusively featuring budget lists!

For those who have never of me, I am known as Althur in game and I am exclusively an Abyssian player.
I got into Duelyst back in January and since April I consistently hit S rank every season. As of now (13/10) I currently possess 18 Abyssian ribbons.

Somewhat recently I wrote a guide featuring Abyssian decklists I created to take and use in S rank. Since I received several requests for budget versions for people who cannot afford all those legendary heavy lists and players new to Duelyst.

I decided to dedicate this volume for the broke and the noob alike :smile_cat:

Here I present before you a few lists that can get you started;

Decklists

[details=Budget Lily]

• Intro to Lilith

Lilith is a powerful general who believes there’s strength in numbers.
Her BBS produces a value of 2/2 for 1 mana split into two separate bodies.
This allows her to easily flood the board and thus to always have board presence. That means Lilith always has something to buff!

Given the nature of her BBS she is more inclined to the wraithling and swarm aspects of Abyssian.

The deck I present before you plays on her strengths - the ability to flood the board and buff it.

If you are new to the game, the first lesson you must learn is how to board control. Using your resources to clear enemy minions by effectively trading and pressuring your opponent with your own threats is how you generate tempo, which eventually wins you the game.

This deck requires you to learn how to do just that effectively by getting as much value as possible with the resources at your disposal.

Generally speaking, I recommend Lilith for new players as she is easier to build a deck around and is stronger than Cassy in a budget format.

• Game Plan

Each deck has to follow a game plan to reach that win condition for a sweet lethal.

The idea here is to establish a buffable board presence to effectively trade and board control. With the various buffs available to us, we can clear enemy minions with ease and push for face damage.

Tigers + Shadow Reflection make a nice budget finisher as well as some form of Void Steal gang up. Dancer can also win us the game one wraithling at the time with her chip face damage burn.

• How Do You Function?!

So we start of with a 2 drop, preferably Shiro as player 1 which we want to summon diagonally so it can reach the mana spring the next turn and allow us to play a 4 drop. For that reason we want to keep a 2 drop and a 4 drop in our opening hand.

As player 2 we either want to open with two 2 drops or walk diagonally forward and summon a Sojourner also diagonally so it can reach the mana spring the next turn and allow us some kind of 5 mana play.

Blood Siren, Primus Fist and Void Steal all allow us to make efficient trades with the former letting us hit the enemy general for free without losing any board.

Sphere, Lure and Gaze give us the option to ping minions from afar for 1 and 2 damage respectively.

Ritual Banishing, Lure and Void Steal along with Shroud and once again Gaze offer us removal and Grasp for AoE removal.

Sojourner, Sphere and Gaze keep our hand full with the latter two functioning like cycles.

Tigers can be used for removal in a pinch but their place in the deck is reserved to synergise with Shadow Reflection, Void Steal or the less often Primus Fist for face damage.

Shadow Dancer is a strong support card which heals us and damages the enemy general. Note that while being a support card she still has a 4/4 body which can be further buffed and used to hit the enemy general’s face during the late game when positioned correctly.

Void Steal is often gonna be replaced early and kept late game for a potential burst gang up.

Positioning is key with this deck and the better you get at it the more trophies you will see on that match history. :trophy:

• Important Synergies

Lure + Grasp for an easy board clear.

Sphere + Gaze for 3 damage and a double cycle.

Shiro + Shiro for 2/4 bodies which constantly buff each other and everything around them.

Tiger + Reflection for 8 damage burst.

Lure + Void Steal to get a perfect buffing position and get rid of the threat.

Void Steal + Void Steal = tons of damage!!! :scream_cat:

[/details]

Which digivolves upgrades into…

[details=Upgraded Lily]

[/details]

Or…

If you want to take this one step further I encourage you to check out my Blood Wraiths list from Volume I, which utilises more deathwatch mechanics and Baronette combos.

[details=Budget Cass]

• Intro to Cassyva

Cass is a master tactician and a control freak who likes to force the enemy to step on landmines.
Her BBS pings for 1 damage and creates a Shadow Creep tile when killing a minion. This allows her to always have 1 extra damage up her sleeve for board control as well a way to consistently generate creep at all stages of the game.

Given the nature of her BBS she is more inclined to the creep and control aspects of Abyssian.

The deck I present before you plays on her strengths - to utilise creep for board control.

If you are new to the game, the first lesson you must learn is how to board control. Using your resources to clear enemy minions by effectively trading and pressuring your opponent with your own threats is how you get ahead in tempo, which eventually wins you the game.

While generally Cass requires the very expensive Obliterate and/or Ghost Azalea as her pay off cards and finishers to enable and forward the creep strategy, I managed to create a version that takes advantage of creep for board control and tempo using various dispositioning tactics and still have enough burst for closing the game without the use of legendaries.
The list however runs 1 very crucial epic being Rite of The Undervault which fuels our hand during the late game and helps find those last pieces of damage.

Cassy is less recommended for newer players as she is weaker than Lilith in a budget format, requiring the expensive stuff to really shine. However this list can still perform well up to diamond.

• Game Plan

Each deck has to follow a game plan to reach that win condition for a sweet lethal.

The idea behind this list is to generate creep tiles and use Lure and Repulsor Beast to reposition enemy minions on said tiles. This allows very efficient trades and board clear along with our BBS and Grasp of The Agony.

Juggernauts are the only payoff card available to us and yet they pose quite a huge threat as early as the first few turns as well as later in the late game.
For that reason they usually either eat up removal, trade very efficiently or simply win us the game.

Void Steal offers both removal and burst, allowing us to remove threats while creating our own.

Tiger + Reflection combo makes an appearance once more as a budget finisher of 8 out of hand damage.

As our win condition are quite limited, we often have to rely on value to win our games when reaching late game.

• How Do You Function?!

As player 1 we’d like to open either with an OOz, positioned right in front of us, or another 2 drop (non pet) summoned diagonally so it can reach the mana spring the next turn, allowing us to play a 4 drop.

As player 2 we have a few options depending on our hand.
We can play two 2 drops, a 2 drop and Lure or walk diagonally forward and summon a Sojourner also diagonally so it can reach the mana spring the next turn and allow us some kind of 5 mana play.

Spheres and OOz generate creep as early as turn 1, feeding our Juggers and giving us room to work with for our dispositioning tactics.

Healing Mystics provide us with well… healing… which is much required in such an aggressive meta and hopefully it’s going to be enough.

Sojourners, Spheres and the single Rite are going to fill and cycle our hand while we try to play on curve.

Lure and Repulsor can not only send threats off from harm’s way but also throw them on creep tiles for effective removal.
Joining them, Dark Transformation, Shroud and Dancing Blades as well as Grasp and Void Steal enable additional removal to keep the board clean and creepy :smiling_imp:

Juggers are going to be our biggest threats and will force removal or some desperate play from the opponent. We try to drop him when we have at least 3 creep tiles on board as less than that is easier to remove.

Tigers can be used for removal in a pinch but their place in the deck is specifically reserved to synergise with Shadow Reflection or Void Steal for face damage. Do not waste them early as you are going to need them as finishers in the late game.

Finally a few words about Void Steal.
It may seem out of place in Cass, however make note that it can be used as removal by crippling an enemy minion and more than often buffing at least one friendly minion which forces the opponent to… deal with it! :sunglasses:
That being said you usually want to replace/mulligan it and only keep when an opportunity arises, which happens often enough.

• Important Synergies

Sphere + BBS for 2 damage.

Lure + Grasp for an easy board clear.

Repulsor + Grasp for an easy board clear.

Sphere + Repulser for a ping.

Sphere/Creep + Lure for a 2 damage ping.

Dark Transformation + Grasp for removing smaller threats circling a big one.

Tiger + Reflection for 8 damage burst.

Lure + Void Steal to get a perfect buffing position and get rid of the threat.

Void Steal + Void Steal = tons of damage!!! :scream_cat:

[/details]

Which digivolves upgrades into…

[details=Upgraded Cass]

[/details]

Or…

If you want to take this one step further I encourage you to check out my Oblivion Sphere list from Volume I, which utilises more control tactics for high level plays.

History & Changes

Last Update; [13/10]

[9/10 ; post created]

[13/10 ; updated Budget Cass decklist]

That is everything ladies and gentleman.

Hopefully these guides are helpful and easy to understand.
If you appreciate my write up please leave a like and spread the word :smile_cat:
As always feel free to review, criticise and ask questions in the comments.

In due time I will add more Abyssian budget variants for more diversity in playstyle. Meanwhile please enjoy the current ones and improve as you go.

Check out my other Volumes for more tealicious :tea: Abyssian lists;

Farewell,
Sir Althur ;3

Gold rank: need help w/my abyssian swarm deck
New player, join the fun and laugh at his deck!
Hello! newbie here

Why aren’t you using any Bloodmoon Priestesses? They’re usually quite good in the lower ranks against any one not running Plasma Storm or Frostburn.

i’m pretty sure he has his reasons. i mean he is an abyssian only player that has hit s rank multiple times though i would actually like to hear his thoughts on no bloodmoon priestess as well

@johnbob78 Bloodmoon Priestess requires a prior board setup to work effectively. Her 3/3 body is vulnerable to many forms of removal and for her to stick you need to establish a threatening board that will force the opponent into a tough decision.

I believe she works best in a deck which can have strong board presence pre 4 mana turn.

Dropping her early can often be a weak play and late game our BBS does the job about just as well. At the end of the day she is more of a support card…

I chose to include Shieldmaster and Sunsteel instead because they are simply stronger 4 drops, arguably the best ones.
Summoning and buffing one or another only puts you ahead in tempo and applies additional pressure requiring several resources to be removed, unlike Priestess who usually takes very little to remove and at times can even be ignored.

The lists are structured to handle the upper ranks as well as the lower ranks, taking you about as far as diamond at the very least.

If you want to run Priestess then Blood Wraiths from my first volume is a good example of a list where she can work without tempo loss as she interacts with various buffs within the deck quite effectively.

Cheers ;3

Did a quick update on the Budget Cass list.

-3 Crawlers, +1 Reflection, +1 Tiger, +1 Rite.
The Crawlers offer very little to our strategy as we don’t really need that much creep generation in this variant. Added another set of Tiger+Reflection to make the combo more consistent. Also added Rite because Cass is a spoiled brat and she likes the expensive shit - but really because otherwise we run out of steam late game and and die, this give us an out.

Why Void Steal in your cass list? Also I have healing mystics instead of void pulse. Thoughts on that?

@dwerfy I believe I already explained that in the description.
Void steal works both as removal and burst - it helps by neutralizing enemy minions while making big threats of your own. Just hitting a Sojourner alone is great, giving you a 4/5 body which draws cards on hit.
The added burst helps to synergise with the tigers as well.

If you are playing the Budget list then Mystics are better. However in the upgraded list I favour Pulses because they synergise with Kelaino, can be played on 6 mana after Rite and are useful as a face ping.

Hope that helps,
Cheers ;3