Shadow Creep nerf - Old player wants it gone

Ok, so I haven’t played Duelyst for a few years, and I come back to my worst nightmare. I used to play an Abyssian Shadow Creep deck, and loved it, but now it’s been nerfed so heavily it almost seems as if it’s no longer worth playing. So, to make it clear, the most likely thing that will keep me playing this time is if Shadow Creep goes back to how it was: Each tile does 1 damage per tile of Shadow Creep. You can even nerf it a little and make it 0.5 or 0.25, as I understand there were a few people complaining about it being ‘op’. The truth is, it was never anywhere near op, since the amount of time, mana and cards you had to invest into it made countering it incredibly easy.

So yeah, bring back the old Shadow Creep. It was the most fun and unique part of the game.

More options are available to Creep Cassy now. If they were to bring back old creep, then they’d have to completely obliterate most of the already existing cards. Also, if its been nerfed as heavily as you say, and Creep Cassy is currently the best deck in the meta, then we would have an absolute monster on our hands.

You’d find more support if Creep Cassyva wasn’t one of the top three decks in the game at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

I was pretty upset when I logged in and found that Shadow Creep didn’t work any more… I posted on the old forum

"Oh well. Now I’ve definitely got to learn to play a new faction.

I was just doing a quick game and I cast what I thought was Breath of the Unborn - because, 4 mana spell - and I had a WTF moment when it spawned shadowcreep. So, I used Daemonic Lure to drag an enemy minion onto it… and it only did 1 damage.

1 damage shadowcreep is probably more balanced but it does gut all the bits I liked about Abyssian gameplay; using the space on the board defensively with shadowcreep and bloodmoon priestesses to keep the enemy away from my general."

but I’ve gotten used to it. The shadow creep nerf opened up the design space; Ooz and Sphere of Darkness couldn’t exist with the old shadow creep. Shadow creep may not deal much damage by itself anymore, but that feeling of a growing threat taking over the board is still there, and it buffs Abyssal Juggernaut now, and Ghost Azalea, and Obliterate, and Variax… You need to look up Variax.

Abyssian is in a good place right now. Give it a try. You won’t want to go back.

cheeky
15characters

See what I did there?

you can always use darkspine elemental though, as it multiplies the damage done by creep tile 2 times and it’s multiplicative, meaning that if you managed to get 3 darkspine stick on the board, then your creep tile just become a spiral technique as it deals 8 damage.

We can’t reliably destroy shadow creep and Cass can get creep out pretty early. I’ve had game where three turns in Cass had 4 creep out in old creep that’s 4 damage on each tile. You might have enjoyed cheering us with death tiles but us players who don’t just play Cass DIDN’T LIKE IT.

These changes were for the better… Now they they could make a card that turns a creep tile so it does the damage of all the creep on th r board but it can’t be a permanent effect imo

As @bickel said, the change to shadow creep was needed in order to open design space. The old shadow nova was a broken card, but, without many creep producers, wasn’t played. Now, creep has become its own archetype, and any form of ramping damage would be outright stupid. This is because of cards like klaxon being able to spawn 6 shadow creep by itself. Furthermore, ooz spawns creep under enemies, which is a problem in itself. Lastly, the number of tile dispels in the game is severely lacking, despite the huge increase in creep generators.

Hell and No…Old creep was spell version of Varaix .It was unstoppable win condition that only skill involved was drawing it your hand.They added to much good creep generation tools to ever revert those changes.The new creep still has room for new creatures to made,Old creep was ridiculous broken and you couldn’t add more creatures.

I miss many things of old duelyst too, but this is just idiotic. You have no idea what you are talking about for one, secondly don’t you think it’s absurd to come back to a game and say ‘yeah so I will play your game for you again, but then you have to make the game the way I want it, okay’. It’s blackmail, and the sad thing is, blackmail that no-one in the world finds remotely threatening or to be taken seriously.

Maybe you didn’t notice that there are a ton of new cards interacting with creeps now. You are not using them for the 1 damage, but to get synergies with other cards. It’s an extremely strong mechanic.

We can tell you more if interested

Nice one.
First of all, welcome back. Second of all, you should play more.
I don’t really understand how anyone would think it was not broken and how anyone would find that deck fun to play with or against.

While we are at it, why not bring back Third Wish + Star’s Fury combo? I used to love that deck, but now, they nerfed it so much it is not worth playing. Speaking of which, why not bring back Lantern Fox OTK? I have fond memories of OKTing my opponents from no board, and there is nothing like it today. Oh, while we’re at it, why not bring back Golem Magmar? Everyone loves Golem Magmar right? So easy to counter!

It used to be a matter of strategizing the placement of the tiles, and stalling until they could do their job. The problem at the time was that everyone started playing Vanar to get the multi-square dispel. It was incredibly difficult to win with the deck, both because people tended to avoid the Creep tiles in general, and because once you put down one tile they would start countering you at every move because of how obvious your strategy was. It was still fun to play though just because the mechanic of board control was so unique.
I’m happy to learn that my beloved deck is in the meta now, but that just further proves my point. Back then, no-one played Shadow Creep because it was an admittedly underrated, but also just not very effective tactic. I won only slightly more games with Shadow Creep than Mechaz0r, but still loved to play them because of how unique the concept was. (that’s another thing, has Mechaz0r been buffed? It feels a lot stronger now for some reason)
Having played more of the new Shadow Creep (and in the process disenchanting everything that wasn’t in my Shadow Creep, Mechaz0r or Songhai decks) I see that Shadow Creep is in fact stronger now, but I still don’t like the direction it’s gone. It used to be completely strategy-based where you trick your opponent into ignoring a minion instead of a tile, or vice versa. Now it’s just gone the mainstream route where synergy is key, and there’s not anywhere near as much deck variety.

Finally, I realise how dumb it is to actually expect anything to change just because I got nostalgic over it, I was simply expressing how I feel, and as such used exaggeration and emotive language.

P.S. I love how the first few replies were respectful and helpful and all of a sudden they turned into a toxic salt-fest XD

P.P.S. This post helps explain what I’m talking about a little: Is the problem creep or ourselves?

Maybe you were gone for so long that you missed the period where Creep was truly overpowered.

During the summer of 2016, shadow creep was the dominant deck in the meta. It made it so that the opponent had to defeat you before 7 mana, or you will keep throwing Burst damage in their face. Essentially, the strategy boiled down to survive to 7 mana, then drop a Revenant or a Nova each turn, completely ignoring your opponent’s board or positioning. Cassyva and Keliano especially, pushed this playstyle immensely by making the deck far more versatile in the early game. Tile placement did not matter for that deck, only that you made in to 7 mana with enough health to chunk a large percentage of your opponent’s HP each turn. Maybe the Shadow creep you remember playing was different than this, but the shadow creep of summer 2016 was more about Burst than careful board positioning. That was why it was reworked.

Maybe you missed the period where shadow creep was truly oppressive, but the past version was far from healthy during that period of time.

excogitator
8m

Maybe you were gone for so long that you missed the period where Creep was truly overpowered.
During the summer of 2016, shadow creep was the dominant deck in the meta. It made it so that the opponent had to defeat you before 7 mana, or you will keep throwing Burst damage in their face. Essentially, the strategy boiled down to survive to 7 mana, then drop a Revenant or a Nova each turn, completely ignoring your opponent’s board or positioning. Cassyva and Keliano especially, pushed this playstyle immensely by making the deck far more versatile in the early game. Tile placement did not matter for that deck, only that you made in to 7 mana with enough health to chunk a large percentage of your opponent’s HP each turn. Maybe the Shadow creep you remember playing was different than this, but the shadow creep of summer 2016 was more about Burst than careful board positioning. That was why it was reworked.
Maybe you missed the period where shadow creep was truest oppressive, but the past version was far from health during that period of time.

Yeah, maybe. I was only really playing from early April (maybe late march) to mid May 2016. I got into it from watching Slaydra’s videos, but ran out of time in the day to play.

pre-Cassy shadow creep was my favorite deck ever.

ok, your faction got “nerfed” and is still one of the best decks to play right now. as a vet main i’ll just sit here and play the worlds smallest fiddle for you.

Hahaha I can just imagine what your opponent was thinking when he watched your turn play out!:grin:

Jokes aside myself and almost everyone else prefer the new creep so much more. Maybe the old one was more fun to play, but that garbage was not fun to play against at all. I was trying to play control decks with a very small collection and most of the time I would literally be chasing Cass in circles around her creep tiles for a few turns hoping that she wouldn’t draw anymore Novas. I called it Ring Around the Rosey. Chasing a little girl around life threatening terrain that she is immune to, while being bombarded by random minions.