Ryan's Deck Labs: Desperation -- Sajj Midrange

Introduction:

Hey guys, I’m not gonna post a legal disclaimer here, nor am I going to say anything about how viable it is going to S-rank, because that’s all for the climb next month (February). If you’re new, there are definitely better factions than Vetruvian at the moment, so just keep that in mind.

The name is RegalHawk, aka my smurf account I use to do dumb shit, add me as a friend on there. I won’t be streaming cos my PC is crap.

Hypothesis

So as we all know, Vetruvian is in the dumps right now (relatively), and Sajj is just totally shafted. We can all trace this back to the Siphon Energy nerf, where CP decided range wasn’t going to be part of Vetruvian’s faction identity anymore (but Blast is?). Anyways, I’ve tried very hard to make a serious Sajj that will hopefully do good.

The Deck:

Card Explanations:

1 Cost: Miscellaneous Tools.

Bloodtear Alchemist is actually even more important in Sajj than anything else, since sometimes you might be off by one damage when trying to kill a minion, and that matters a lot. Do not open with this minion T1 if possible.

Blindscorch will be extremely useful in Sajj. Think about it: you’re using your General as a beating stick, which means you are taking lots of damage no matter what. This helps alleviate that issue slightly, so you can feel better about punching that 13/10 Ironcliffe Guardian. Also consider this a cheaper alternative to Falcius, and in desperate situations, use it to prevent an enemy minion from attacking for one turn.

Scion’s First Wish is an obvious faction staple, boost a minion’s survivability, attack / trade range, etc; even more useful however is its cycle.

2 Cost: Opening Plays + Utility Tools.

Ephemeral Shroud is our Dispel replacement for Siphon. You’ll need this, so do not open with this minion T1 at all. It is better to play nothing at all than waste this minion.

Healing Mystic will keep you and your minions alive. It also helps with minion trades so there’s that too. Usually, you will be opening with this minion T1 and that’s OK.

Primus Fist helps with minion trades, especially with boosting your minions’ attack to punch above their weight. Again, you will usually be playing this minion on T1, and that’s OK.

Rasha’s Curse is a staple here, since if you haven’t noticed we don’t have much out of hand damage. This means without this spell, Arclyte Regalia and Ghost Azalea become a massive pain in the ass. But thankfully, we do.

Staff of Y’kir is insurance for in case your Falcius doesn’t show up and you need minions gone right now. Can also be used to secure lethal, which is always fun.

3 Cost: Falcius.

That’s it. It’s just Falcius.

So obviously, Falcius + your BBS is a killer combo (literally), since there aren’t many minions above 8 Health in this game. Besides that, use this to gain a 3/3 Body (not bad) and kill minions for free. Overall, a solid card to say the least.

4 Cost: Spelljammer + Sunsteel Defender (optional).

Spelljammer is our only form of card draw here, since most of the card draws in this game are either bad or too slow.

Sojourner: slow, prone to dispel.

Divine Spark: 3 mana to cycle and draw a card? Really?

Void Hunter / Wind Shrike / Necroseer: Too slow, I need cards by next turn.

Also, Sunsteel Defender is mentioned here even though it isn’t on the deck. If you want, substitute Nimbus for this. Obviously, the main advantage here is that with Forcefield, you can kill minions for free and remain a perpetual pain in the ass for the opponent. You are losing the Soulburn Obelysks however, which could be a useful asset. But then again, Nimbus might be a bit slow for your tastes. Up to you!

5 Cost: Star’s Fury + Sunset Paragon + Nimbus or Scarab.

Star’s Fury is our only reliable out of hand damage here, and can make for some pretty interesting lethals if you play your cards right. Also, use this to clear the board and / or reach backline dudes if you’re so inclined.

Nimbus is my default recommendation, simply because the Soulburn Obelysks can generate a ton of value. However, as mentioned earlier, it is prone to dispels and pretty useless without its effect; 3 attack barely kills anything.

Starfire Scarab is your other alternative to Nimbus. Like Sunsteel Defender, if it lives until your next turn, it will start wiping the enemy board like a vacuum cleaner. Consider what you want carefully.

Sunset Paragon staves off Variax’s BBS (for a turn), but also is basically a 3x3 board clear if you play it right. In today’s meta, there aren’t many minions whose health exceed their Attack.

6 Cost: Aymara Healer + Autarch’s Gifts.

Aymara Healer is an obvious staple, especially since we are running a midrange deck. This minion will support you for at least 3 turns by itself, and can get you back in the game with its powerful Dying Wish, which creates a 10 HP health difference between the two of you.

Autarch’s Gifts. Cast it, pray for Spinecleaver / Hexblade and Ankh , because those are your best pulls. Fortunately, that’s a 60% probability, so you’ll get that combo 6 out of 10 times.

7 Cost: Meltdown or Nosh-Rak?

Officially, on the deck it says run Grandmaster Nosh-Rak. This is best when you’re running stuff like Sunsteel Defender or Starfire Scarab (for that sweet 8 damage). Also remember, this minion has Flying AND Blast, so you can gamble by dropping it, praying the enemy has no dispels, then go ham on them. If you’re really creative, use Aymara Healer’s Dying Wish with Nosh-Rak for surprising results.

Meltdown would be a better choice if you want to stick to your guns all the way until the end. The 7 damage can really help with clearing the board, or flat out killing the enemy. Consider Meltdown if you’re going to run Nimbus, since both help with the board. That said, if you’re on the fence, Meltdown is always a solid choice regardless.

Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Voice them all below!

Remember, GL and HF. Especially that last bit.

Have Fun.

–RyanH / RegalHawk.

No incinera? She’s so good :c

Been using Nimbus for a while, but then I recognized that it’s too slow and vulnerable, so I switched to Dancing Blades and it’s doing pretty well now :slight_smile:

And now they’ll nerf blast :cry:

I have three questions:

Isn’t the wildfire ankh better in more cases than y’kir’s staff?
there are 8 2-drop (or less), are they enough?
Isn’t the curve a bit too high to play spelljammer? I know it’s the only card draw, but sometimes you can’t play it because of the opponent taking more advantage from it (like songhai and magmar)

Ehm, Autarch’s Gifts pulls 2 artifacts out of a pool of 4, so there are 4!/(2!*2!) = 6 possible combinations, so there’s only a 50% change to pull Ankh.

You can pull:
Ankh + Spinecleaver
Ankh + Hexblade
Ankh + Y’Kir
Spinecleaver + Hexblade
Spinecleaver + Y’Kir
Hexblade + Y’Kir

That’s a 1 in 6 chance to pull a specific pairing. :slight_smile:

@RyanH

I like it. There are so many variations for what works for Sajj right now. I think it’s just what you get matched up against. If the opponent doesn’t play well, and you do, you win. That’s what it boils down to.

Sajj is going to make you work your strategic mind to the core if you want S-Rank.

I think I wanna start playing Sajj after seeing this.

Actually, since you can’t have duplicate artifacts, its more like 2 pools:

Pool 1: Hexblade, Spinecleaver, Ankh, Staff. Here its a 75% of you getting what you want. Let’s say you got Ankh.

Pool 2: Hexblade, Spinecleaver, Staff. Here, its a 66% chance.

(75% + 66%) / 200% = 0.705. = 70.5%

I hope that’s how it works, at least.

Most likely considering it can’t pull duplicates

The chance of pulling Ankh in the first pool is 25%, in this case the chance of pulling Spinecleaver or Hexblade from the second pool is 66%. Second case: You have 50% chance to pull Spinecleaver or Hexblade from the first pool, and 33% chance to pull Ankh from the second pool. So

P = 1/4 × 2/3 + 1/2 × 1/3 = 2/12 + 1/6 = 1/3 = 33%.

Let’s be clear: We’re debating the probability of getting Spinecleaver / Hexblade + Ankh, no matter what order.

I was only using Ankh as an example. It doesn’t matter if I didn’t get Ankh but Spinecleaver, since this is how it would play out:

Pool 1: Hexblade, Spinecleaver, Ankh, Staff. You get Spinecleaver in this case. That was a one in four. However, out of this pool you have 3 items you are happy with. Only if you don’t get Ankh in the first pool, does the 2nd pool’s chances become much more adverse (66% vs 33%).

Since in that 1st pool, you have 3 out of 4 items you want, that’s 75%. Since you didn’t pull Ankh in the first pool:

Pool 2: Hexblade, Ankh, Staff. Ankh is a 33% chance here.

( 75% + 33% ) / 200% = 0.54 = 54%. (This is the probability of getting the items you want, provided you didn’t get Ankh in the first pool.)

( 54% + 70% ) / 200% = 0.62 = 62% (combined percentages of getting Ankh in the 1st pool and Ankh in the 2nd pool)

The formulae you are using just don’t make sense. This is the probability tree (denoting Staff with Y):

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.