Quotes, Quotes and more Quotes

Wait what? Geography teaches you demography?
Oh and @phantomgoth sorry for the derailing. Anyways to follow up and finish the main idea, basically the first qorld countries also happen to be supporting third world ones with not only releif efforts but economic interactivity.

Without first world countries society would most likely regress to the state at which third world countries would be in, which would be worse off at that point than before. And then I assume no one would be left to operate nukes, so assuming they were never dropped then the threat of nukes would disappear and the fragile peace holding the entire world in a ceasefire would evaporate due to the idea that no longer can your country have chunks of it instantly die.

Why would it not? Geography is mostly about societies and how they develop instead of whay always seems to come to mind.

Neat subject, still dropping it the moment I get a chance.

I suppose thats true, I just dont remember how deep they go into demography and sociology

(Social-ethical rant ahead):

But those problems would not necessarily be on such a large scale. Since the 19th century, we (the first world countries) have essentially created climate change, while mostly everyone else has been following in our footsteps. Of course I want everyone to be well off, healthy and have access to technology. And this could be (or at least could have been) realized in a reasonable way, if our living standards (in terms of energy consumption, use of plastic products and speed of buying new products not essential to living, for example) would not have skyrocketed to what was considered a luxury 50 years ago is now only left for the “poor”. Our planet can’t handle this development. During this very century, some major cities will be permanently flooded, countless more species will go extinct, and many highly populated parts of the world will become permanently uninhabitable, leading to an immigration crisis we hardly can even imagine. And most of this can no longer be even prevented, only the scale of its impact can be lessened (which I doubt will happen fast enough). I wonder what will be left of us in the end. This, along with some obviously unfair history behind it all, is why I hate the division of first-, second- and third world countries.

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
― Neil Gaiman

Got to love Neil Gaiman.

Speaking of dragons, there’s a pretty ironic story I’d like to share. It was told by my private pupil (and I should remind you to understand the full irony of the situation, I study and teach Maths), and I like it much. Sorry for pretty rough translation, neither my memory nor my English is good enough to make it into a proper fairy tale. Nethertheless…

One person dreamt of defeating a dragon. He found himself a teacher who seemed to be the only person in the whole world who knew how to beat one. After years of exhausting training young warrior finally left in search for his destiny.

More years passed. Young warrior became adult, then old, but he never found a dragon to fight during his travels. After years of wandering around the world, dissapointed and frustrated he returned to his former teacher.

– Why did you do this to me? – he asked. – I was young and silly, you should have told me there’re no dragons in this world! I wasted years on searching for one, years being trained to fight one. What use do I have of all these skills you taught me? What should I do now?

– Now? – the teacher replied. – Now you should teach someone how to fight dragons.

I didn’t know how to reply to this story when my pupil told it to me :slight_smile:

I enjoyed that very much.

I still wonder if there’s any morale hidden behind irony. I have my assumptions, but I’m not sure.

Behind irony in general?..or in this story particularly?

This story in particular.

Ah. Well, I think there is certainly a lesson in the story.

The positive view:

The choices we make in life…the paths we choose…can seem useless. However, there is still a chance for us to be useful to anyone who wants to choose the same paths.

The negative view:

We all can’t be winners in life. You can still salvage some meaning for yourself by taking advantage of someone else.

Depending on the math, your student may have felt like it would not be that useful for the future at times, (idk, just assuming) so maybe the story related to how one may feel some things are useless, but they could come in handy. (Or just the concept that certain math isnt useful except to teach it to others)

this reminds me of kevins and their adventures in life.

if you ever decide to enter in there do beware that you’ll be shocked at the things people can do/say/believe sometimes

That not every story needs a sappy moral?

indeed, not every story has one but every story has something that you’ll learn that may/may not influence your life.

But if you think about it, much of what we really do (the “mark” we leave) in life is what we pass on to next generations. Sure, we can do some great things, even really useful things. But as time goes on, the (apparent) utility of many traditions begins to decrease. What’s left is an old way of doing things, a cultural memory so to speak. That can have meaning in itself. So, I think it’s a clever story :slight_smile:

Wow, nice one! :slight_smile:

That was quite obvious. My pupil sucked at Maths, and was going to become a philosopher. But in my country every school graduate has to pass exams on Russian and Maths regardless of what they are going to do in future.

He didn’t want to offend me, I knew his attitude to what I teached him, so we both laughed. Actually, teaching Maths to a dedicated Human science enthusiast was very interesting. Very refreshing experience, so to speak. He also taught me much.

@miguelosz, I like your version also.

My versions are:

1. If you can help other people to pursue their dreams, maybe your life is not completely wasted. Regardless of what dreams you’re helping to achieve and whether they are achievable at all.

2. Did the fact that he hasn’t found any dragons mean that they are non-existent? Or maybe some generations later someone will be finally able to find and beat one? If so then the story is about preserving knowledge on the scale of humanity, about science itself. Lots of seemingly useless knowledge became useful through the course of history of science, I can name a couple of examples. And maybe not only science… This one is pretty close to @miguelosz as I see now.

3. And a negative one. There’s a saying. The one who doesn’t do things teaches them. Meaning, the teacher is by definition a loser. But I don’t like this one :slight_smile:

The main question as always… What meaning did the original author put in this story? :slight_smile:

Yes, point 2 is also what I had in mind but I chose to not include it in my reply to keep it short :slight_smile:

And human sciences and maths are by no means exclusive, I combine them all the time in my work (although some may not consider statistics real maths :grin:) Even in philosophy there are fields which combine the two.

“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche