Now that we’ve had a month to acclimate to Shim’zar, I’d like to get the community’s thoughts on how the Gauntlet experience has changed, and what (if anything) should be done to address these changes. That said, three major topics come to mind:
1. Rarity Balancing
- This is relatively straightforward. Essentially, which cards do you think should receive an increase or decrease in rarity (and therefore an increase or decrease in Gauntlet prevalence)?
- Here’s a non-exhaustive list of some card rarities that I find problematic:
- Falcius --> Rare, if not Epic (the card is absurd; essentially a 3-mana Entropic Decay with a 3/3 body)
- Pax --> Epic (obvious)
- Astral Flood --> Rare
- Wind Slicer --> Common
- Obliterate --> Rare (this may single handedly resurrect Cassyva)
- Ghost Azalea --> Epic (same as Obliterate)
- Mandrake --> Epic (obvious)
- Moloki Huntress --> Rare (perhaps this would be too good?)
- Sunforge Lancer --> Rare (similar to Obliterate, ressurect Zir’an)
- Altered Beast --> Rare (Vanar already have Aspect; they don’t need even more efficient removal options)
- Frostburn --> Epic (Again, Vanar is already top-tier, they have plenty of removals, and they don’t need a board-shifting AoE)
- Wailing Overdrive --> Rare (I have won so many games with this nonsense; Faei doesn’t need even more burst)
- Iceblade Dryad --> Rare (why not push Vespyr synergy?)
- Lightning Blitz --> Rare (perhaps not?)
- Hydrax --> Rare (Honestly, why not? It’d make drafting Battle Pets a little more bearable)
2. General Balancing
- The general consensus seems to hold that Zi’ran, Cassyva, Starhorn, and Kaleos all pale in comparison to their other generals (both between and with-in faction). Zelda’s (fantastic) Gauntlet guide is also corroborative.
- On this point, how should CPG (if at all) go about increasing the viability of bottom-tier generals? Two options come to mind (and I’ll include a poll below):
- (1) Make new cards to heavily-support said Generals (e.g. Visionar, Onyx Jaguar, Abyssal Juggernaut).
- (2) Have General selection be first pick, and then have “occurrence bonuses” tailored to each general (e.g. Obliterate and Ghost Azalea ‘X’ times more likely to be offered to Cassyva, Sunriser ‘X’ times more likely to be offered to Zir’an).
- CPG should design new cards (in future monthlies and/or expansions) to help support bottom-tier Generals.
- CPG should implement a new system in which Generals are the first pick, and then a specific “occurrence bonus” is tailored to that General (e.g. Obliterate is 3x as likely to be offered for Cassyva).
- Other (please elaborate in a reply or PM).
3. Card Restriction Balancing (e.g. Hearthstone’s Approach)
- Again, personally and from conversations with other Gauntlet vets, I think a consensus has formed that Shim’zar has had an overall dilutive impact on the Gauntlet experience.
- In particular, Battle Pets (e.g. Sol, Ion, Ace, Rae, Gor, Z0r), when offered, effectively reduce the decision-making to 2 cards.
- Additionally, high synergy/combo cards (e.g. Zukong, Hydrax, Winter’s Wake, Corpse Combustion, Night Fiend, Shadow Nova, Pantheran, Whispers of the Wind, Blood Baronette, Calculator, etc etc etc.) only compound the dilution further.
- Ultimately, should CPG consider removing certain cards (those that would never see play outside of constructed decks) from being offered in Gauntlet? I will include a poll below.
- CPG should implement a system that removes ALL Battle Pets and certain high combo/synergy-dependent cards.
- CPG should implement a system that removes SOME Battle Pets and certain high combo/synergy-dependent cards.
- CPG should implement a system that removes certain high combo/synergy-dependent cards.
- CPG should not implement a removal system.
Lastly, I have some questions of clarification. @Ryvirath is there an “occurrence bonus” for Shim’zar cards (e.g. Inquisitor Kron 2x as likely to be offered than Pandora or other core legendaries)? Also, is there any method or pattern to rarity or card type offerings, and have they been modified with the release of Shim’zar?
All right, now that I’ve gotten that mountain of text down, I’d love to hear what you all think (and don’t forget to vote in the polls above)!
Edit: Also, I realize that in discussions of balance, there is a heightened potential for “unconstructive” discussion. Please do not derail any of the discussions here with condescension or ad hominem. If you feel strongly about certain claims, then please try to communicate them in a calm and clear manner so the discussion can grow and more perspectives can be heard. Thank you!