I joined the game back when it was officially released out of the beta. I played it a lot, but mostly left about a year ago, playing it off and on every once in a while. I finally felt like getting back into the game about a week ago, and now this announcement drops.
I understand why you stopped developing the game and I understand why you’ll have to shut it down.
But here’s what I don’t understand;
- why did you guys keep up radio silence for so long, to then break it with about as vague of a statement you could muster, the only useful part was about the servers staying up, only to then enter radio silence again until now, to once again come out with a very brief statement that gives us no info outside of a shutdown date.
- why did you tell us “There are no plans for future expansions until Godfall is released.”? did you really plan to come back to the game, and if so, what made you change your mind? it’s not like there have been unforseen events and costs attached to maintaining it so you would’ve been able to make the financial calculations 2 years ago
- again, why is even your goodbye statement so terrible? it doesn’t give us anything to go with. no info, no explanations, no nothing.
- why make orbs cheap instead of free, or just unlocking everyone’s collections? you’re not selling diamonds anymore, you’re not earning any money off the game and you’re not going to ruin future prospects, since those aren’t there anymore. I don’t have any diamonds on my account because I spent all the ones I bought ages ago and I’m sure the majority of people are like this.
- I’m not an expert on this, but I’m pretty sure it’d be relatively easy to just dump all assets,code and licences into the public domain in a somewhat coherent way that allows for people to start really going to town on the game. you never know when someone decides to set up a private server for it to run on, make mods for it and other such things. it’s not like you have anything to lose from this since you’re probably never booting up duelyst again or making a follow-up card game (you know that would incite a mob of rightfully angry people whose card collections you will have deleted)
Basically, the usual. why have you become so fucking horrible at communicating? you used to be very open about things, but then you seem to have decided that we weren’t worthy of discussing your higher purpose with anymore.
You keep us in the dark for months, the few statements that you do put out range from little-to-no substance to full on misleading future prospects, you decide to make orbs cheap instead of just giving people all the cards (which would actually make for a very enjoyable last month for a lot of people and would probably convince many people to come back just to screw around with fun decks for the last month) and to top it all off, the game will just be gone, there’ll be no way to ever play it again unless someone invests years of his time to rebuild it from scratch. no mods, no private servers, no local playing, no nothing.