Mechanics that may be interesting

The new expansion is soon upon us. I am a bit excited as to what is coming. I wonder what new things are in store. That said, I was wondering if we will ever see some of the other interesting mechanic from other game maybe in the future of Duelyst. For example:

Kicker (from MTG): Maybe minion or spell that when cast will empty the mana pool and the effect will be variable based on how much extra mana was emptied.

e.g. Iceburn Naga 3/3 (4) Kicker / Opening gambit: Deal X damage to nearby generals / minions per kicker cost.

[So if you cast it with 5 mana still in your pool, it will be 3/3 dealing 1 damage to all nearby general / minion. If you cast it with max 9 mana in your pool, it will be 3/3 dealing 5 damage to all nearby general / minion]

e.g. Diamond Rejuvenator 4/4 (4) Kicker / Opening gambit: Restore X health to your general per kicker cost.

[So, at 4 mana, it does nothing. but at Max mana, he can potentially restore 5 health]

What do you guys think? Of course, it need to be balanced, but this will provide card option that can be relevant until end game.

I think that would be super cool. It would definitely add a bit more variety to the game.

I suggested the “kicker” idea on a previous thread, calling it Decadence. Here is the link: Suggest new Keywords or abilities

I want Buyback.

Nah dude. Cascade :wink:

Counterspells would be nice.

Your minions have rush.

Cascade, cascade.

Cumulative Upkeep is where it’s at!

In all seriousness, I think that Banding, a horrible keyword in MTG can be interesting in Duelyst. Many times, I find myself wanting to have two of my minions occupy the same space. Perhaps an altered version of this effect could be fun in Duelyst:

Banding: You may summon other units of a certain type on the same space as this unit. If you do, this unit gains the stats and abilities of the unit summoned this way.

Zealous Aggregate
Lyonar minion
4 mana, 0/5
Cannot attack. At the end of each turn, restore health to your general equal to this minion’s attack. Banding: Lyonar minions

The Ostracon.
Vetruvian structure
5 mana 0/9
Cannot be targeted by spells or effects. Summon dervish. Banding: structures

Flaming Horde.
Magmar minion
4 mana, 0/3
Rush, Frenzy, Banding: All minions.

Nice. I was not sure if somebody would have suggested something like kicker… but I guess it make sense.

As buyback, what about spell or minion that get copied back in hand if cast with certain condition. For example:

Take that back (ala capsize) (4CC): Buyback (if this is the only spell you cast this turn - create a copy of this card in your hand)

There is a lack of interaction in duelyst during opponent turn (ala counterspell) another cardgame which I played, that is SolForge has one mechanism called ambush. The effect get triggered if your opponent do something during their turn. For example:

Combo Hater 3/4 Flying (4CC): Ambush (if your opponent play more than two cards in his turn - replace this card and summon a copy of it nearby your general)

Control Guard 1/3 Provoke (2CC): Ambush (if your opponent deal more than 6 damage to your general in his turn - replace this card and summon a copy of it nearby your general)

Zombie Man 5/4 (5CC): Ambush (if more than 2 of your minion was destroyed in your opponent turn - replace this card and summon a copy of it nearby your general)

For a less powerful version, make the card be discarded instead of being replaced.

I think this will help counter certain meta if needed. Of course, card design wise, can be more interesting, just want to show example of the mechanics.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.