Hey guys, quick intro to me and this series:
Something I’ve noticed is that is that the forums are often used by people to discuss or more often complain about certain cards (Notably Divine Bond, Sister Taygete, etc). One of the problems that I have is that people often just complain about these cards bringing pitchforks and torches, trying to rally people to nerf the cards they deem “overpowered” without fixing them. The other problem is that these discussions happen rarely, and only on one or two cards/topics, when there are many cards that need to be fixed and balanced. The purpose of this new series I’m starting “Let’s Talk” will hopefully bring regular discussion to the forums and will cover other cards outside of the popularly disliked cards. I would also like to say in advance that I am not the most experienced player, I am no professional, and I don’t know everything about card game design. I’m Diamond rank, and I’ve played for 5, going on 6 months now, and although I believe this gives me a good understanding of the game, i don’t want people to think that i am the voice of reason, or that i am always right, if you think i’m wrong about something, I’d love to hear what your opinion on the topic is, after all, that is the intended purpose of this new series. Enough of me rambling and onto our first topic.
So I absolutely love the idea surrounding Mechaz0r. He, or rather “It” is one of those great cards that with some work, and after building a deck around it instantly puts your opponent in a bad situation, and immediately sets you up to win the game by your next turn. That being said I believe that he is a bit too powerful and lenient.
- ANY 5 Mechs will build Mechaz0r, considering their cheap cost, Mechaz0r can be summoned by the end of your second turn
- Mechaz0r has almost every keyword ability in the game, and has a base stat line of 8/8, which is hard to kill as is, aside from the fact that he can’t be targeted by spells
- Mechaz0r can be placed anywhere, and can’t be targeted by spells, making him nearly impossible to remove
Now, people will probably say well, that 5 mechs is quite alot, and you might even be dead by then, but what i find in most cases that people who play Mechaz0r decks have 3 of each of the mechs in the decks, which puts a total of 15 mechs (about half of your deck). Also, Mechaz0r can be summoned from any 5 of them, which makes him easier to summon and doesn’t really make sense when you think of the nature of Mechaz0r. Playing Mechaz0r seems to be a mindless endeavor and a cheap way to secure a win that requires little no strategy or experience.
Ways to fix these problems
Two ideas come to mind
- Require Mechaz0r to be built by all 5 mech units
- As i stated earlier, any 5 mechs can be used to construct Mechaz0r, which makes him far to easy to summon, and demotes strategy and deck diversity. This means that players would have to survive more than 2 or 3 turns in order to summon each one ofthe mechs. After all, it makes sense conceptually too, as you could not produce a completely constructed Mechaz0r with 3 cannons and 2 sets of wings (atleast I think), you would need a head, chasis and sword.
- Mechaz0r’s abilities will be based on those used to construct him
- This is an alternative to the first proposition above. If Mechaz0r is constructed with 3 cannons and 2 sets of wings as my example states above, it would make sense that Mechaz0r would only have Airdrop and Ranged, but would then miss out on Frenzy and being “untargetable by ANY spells”. I think would be an even better change because this would promote a new level of strategy and planning ahead to Mechaz0r decks. If you want Mechaz0r to have every keyword, then you’ll need each piece to achieve this, if you only care about Spell immunity, ranged and airdrop, then just summon those 3 and 2 extras of the same kind. The new card text for mechs could read “Progresses Mechaz0r build by 20%, and gives him (Keyword ability)”. This would also open the door for other mech units that could give Mechaz0r other abilities, such as Blast, Celebrity and Flying, which again, would diversify his playstyle and would added another level of strategy and reward to Mechaz0r, rather than the current one being :survive for a few turns and draw/replace cards mindlessly until you have summoned 5 mech units.
I’d love to see the mechs have a use outside of Mechaz0r. Mechs are one of the few neutral groups or tribes of units, yet theres no reason for them to be specified as “mechs” I’d like to see cards like "opening gambit: give all other mechs +1/+1, or “opening gambit: draw a mech from your deck”
I love the concept of a large game winning and game defining like Mechaz0r. What bothers me is the lack of strategy in playing him when there is so much potential, and that he is one of the only cards that you can solely build a deck around, and then use to win in one or two turns. I love concepts like these, but playing him seems to be mindless and frustrating to play against. I personally wouldn’t mind being destroyed by Mechaz0r decks so long as it seemed like this player actually put forward their strategy and experience to earn it. I don’t think Mechaz0r needs to be nerfed into oblivion so that he never sees the light of day again. Maybe I’m crazy because in actuality Mechaz0r decks are some of the worst ranked decks, and maybe there’s no need to bother because already nobody plays him (which i think would be even worse).
Thanks for reading if anyone actually got this far. This was pretty long…yeah… sorry about that. But i find that there’s no point in complaining about something if you don’t have a way to fix it. That being said, i really wanted to explain everything thoroughly as to avoid confusion. Let me know what you guys think. Am i crazy to think Mechaz0r is too strong? Or is Mechaz0r too easy to summon considering his power? Are my ideas to fix the problem good? Bad? Confusing? Have your own ideas? Let me know. Also, i was hoping to have more thorough conversations about some of the less discussed cards like Mechaz0r somewhat regularly. I have plenty of cards and topics i’d like to discuss(not nearly as long as this one), but if you’d like me to discuss something, let me know.