I Made Some Cards

Aye, hello there. I’m Jones, an unrenowned player of this very lovely card game, and while I could start singing its praises, the title of this thread suggests that I’ve made it for a very different reason. Which is to say, that I made some cards. A terrible idea, probably, but the idea of keeping them hidden in a text document where the only person who will be examining it is yours truly seemed unpleasant. So I figured, why not share them with you?

One thing to note is that these are just ideas, nothing to take too seriously. I’m not spitballing concepts for future cards for CPG to create or draw inspiration from, nor is the presence of this thread to suggest that I think that any of them should be in the game. A “What-If”, I suppose.They are just personal ideas that I figured I’d share with those that would bother to look. With that in mind, let’s have a look-see at the things I’ve made, starting with my favorite faction.

(WARNING: There are a lot of words to be read from here on out, so if you find gross amounts of text disturbing, you might not want to continue to partake of this thread.)

Lyonar

Sun's Protection (Lyonar Spell, Common)

3 mana: Restore 2 Health to a friendly minion or General and give them Forcefield until the end of your turn.

Silverguard Exemplar (Lyonar Minion, Common)

4 mana: 3/3 Opening Gambit: Summon a Silverguard Squire on a nearby tile.

Luminous Gift (Lyonar Spell, Rare)

5 mana: Give a friendly minion “Zeal: Gains Forcefield”. If it was damaged, restore it to full health.

[details=Sunlight Patron (Lyonar Minion, Rare)]2 mana 2/3: The first friendly minion to lose their Forcefield has it replaced.
*The minion with Forcefield most recently played is affected in the case of AoEs.[/details]

[details=Setting Sun (Lyonar Minion, Epic)]5 mana: 3/5 Provoke Forcefield, Whenever a nearby friendly minion or General takes damage, prevent it and deal it to this one instead.
*Does not affect Frenzy in any way.[/details]

Songhai

Malevolent Shadow (Songhai Minion, Common)

2 mana: 4/1 Summon this minion behind ANY enemy.

Taurus Rage Seal (Songhai Spell, Common)

3 mana: Give a friendly minion “After it attacks a nearby enemy, gain +2 Attack”.

[details=Songstress of Storms (Songhai Minion, Rare)]1 mana: 1/3 Double all effects that trigger when you cast spells that deal damage.
*Example: Storm Kage gives you two copies of Kage Lightning, Storm Sister gives +2 Spell Damage, etc.[/details]

Orb Seamstress (Songhai Minion, Rare)

3 mana: 4/2 Frenzy, Enemy minions damaged by this one cannot move next turn.

Devastating Strike (Songhai Spell, Epic)

3 mana: Spells you cast this turn that deal damage, upon killing an enemy minion, deal 3 damage to the enemy General.

Vetruvian

Sandstone Golem (Vetruvian Minion, Common)

7 mana Golem: 8/9 Opening Gambit: If you have more golems than your opponent in play, all friendly golems can move an additional space.

Dune Golem (Vetruvian Minion, Common)

1 mana Golem: 2/1 Opening Gambit: Summon a 0/1 Golem on a nearby space.

Formidable Presence (Vetruvian Spell, Rare)

4 mana: If you have more Golems than your opponent in play, all enemies are Stunned.

Golem Artificer (Vetruvian Minion, Rare)

5 mana: 4/5 At the end of your turn, give a random friendly Golem +1 Attack.

[details=Ephemeral Caricature (Vetruvian Spell, Legendary)]7 mana: Summon a Golem with Rush on a random space nearby your General that has your current attack, health, and effects. It dies at the end of your next turn.
*Effects are in reference to the abilities of equipped Artifacts.[/details]

Magmar

Karmic Exchange (Magmar Spell, Common)

3 mana: Deal 2 damage to a friendly AND enemy minion.

Errant Ragebeast (Magmar Minion, Common)

5 mana: 3/6 If this minion becomes damaged, gain +2 Attack and Frenzy.

Retributor (Magmar Minion, Rare)

3 mana: 3/1 If this minion is nearby a friendly damaged minion, deal 2 damage to a nearby enemy at the end of your turn.

Adrenal Surge (Magmar Spell, Rare)

4 mana: All damaged minions gain +2 attack and can move an additional space until the end of your next turn.

[details=Wrathful Arbiter (Magmar Minion, Epic)]6 mana: 4/5 Opening Gambit: Destroy a nearby friendly damaged minion AND nearby enemy minion.
*The enemy minion does not need to be damaged[/details]

The next post will be my own thoughts on ‘why I made this card’ and such.

As you may have noticed, most of the cards here focus on a certain theme depending on the faction they are a part of. I also experimented with the ideas of cards with temporary effects that last for more than a single turn, as well.

Lyonar

Inspired by Hearthstone’s Divine Shield mechanic and how it was favored by the Paladin class, I decided to impose a very similar idea onto the Lyonar.

Sun's Protection (Lyonar Spell, Common)

There isn’t much to say about this one other than that I wanted to help Healyonar while also pushing the Forcefield-Lyonar theme. It’s not as effective as some other forms of healing that the faction has, but makes up for it by bolstering the target’s defense and opening up favorable trade options that wouldn’t have been possible before.

Silverguard Exemplar (Lyonar Minion, Common)

This card was inspired by two things: My fond memories of playing Silverguard Squire (even before BBS existed) and of a favorite Hearthstone card of mine, the Silver Hand Knight. The end result is a card that helps decks that wish to dominate the board and promotes War Surge. A perfect world, however, would be one in which more people played Silverguard Squire in their Lyonar decks.

[details=Luminous Gift (Lyonar Spell, Rare)]Right off the bat, I knew I wanted to make a card that gave a minion Forcefield. The problem behind this was that I understood that making a card that freely gave Forcefield to anything was very scary. The last thing we want is an Inquisitor Kron with Forcefield, yes? I shudder at the thought.

So I came to a middle ground of sorts. I’d make it a Zeal effect, a card that would hopefully encourage and reward people who pay attention to positioning. You’d also notice that its a global spell, meaning that any minion, even those that are not close enough to benefit from its primary effect, would at least be fully healed if they happened to be damaged, thus another means of helping Healyonar.[/details]

Sunlight Patron (Lyonar Minion, Rare)

While it does not have Forcefield itself, it does assist those that are with it, greatly I imagine. Originally a 2/1 and 2/2, I finally decided on a 2/3 when I realized that Lyonar generally had very good minions that were easily accessible in terms of mana cost and decided that anything less would probably go against that idea as well as harm the card’s playability considering its competition. At the very least, it’s a solid play for your first turn.

Setting Sun (Lyonar Minion, Epic)

Setting Sun was an idea I just couldn’t pass up when I thought of it. Lyonar definitely seems like the faction that would have a card like this, a most noble and loyal soldier willing to set down their own life to save that of their General’s or fellow man’s. The Forcefield effect only makes it that much more viable. I dream of there being more defensive cards in Duelyst’s, so here’s to hoping, aye?

Songhai

Of all the factions, the cards I made for Songhai have the least amount that share a common theme. This is mostly because the one I had in mind, “If you cast spells that deal damage”, already had some weight behind it.

Malevolent Shadow (Songhai Minion, Common)

Inspired by a passing comment a friend of mine made when he said he wanted Songhai to have a vanilla 4/1. I just added the ability onto it. I decided against giving it Backstab since it already seemed like a pressing enough threat for its cost, and I admittedly don’t enjoy the sight of Backstab too much. Damn Killing Edge shenanigans.

Taurus Rage Seal (Songhai Spell, Common)

Inspired by the Seal buffs Songhai has. I noticed there wan’t one in the style of everyone’s favorite bull-man, so I put it upon myself to make one. Redesigned to prevent Ranged minions from giving people serious aneurysms.

Songstress of Storms (Songhai Minion, Rare)

Another friend of mine loves Storm Kage to death, and while I don’t have it in me to tell him it’s bad (despite the unjustly amounts of success he’s had with it), I decided to make this card as result.

Orb Seamstress (Songhai Minion, Rare)

Although Spiders are likely not very relevant to the spirit animal theme Songhai abides by, I decided to make a card about them anyways. Very obviously made to not be used in conjunction with Inner Focus, because that seemed annoying. Interacts strongly with the many options Songhai has for mobility. Warbeast, I’m told, does not like this card.

Devastating Strike (Songhai Spell, Epic)

Created to feed the “If you cast spells that deal damage” theme. A card that favors Control archetypes, even though I’m confident it wouldn’t see play even in those.

Vetruvian

The theme I’ve chosen for Vetruvian might strike you as odd. After all, what do Golems have to do with Vetruvians? Well, correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember having read in the Codex that the Vetruvians actually crafted the Golems, at least at first, so when I decided to create my own cards, this seemed like the go-to theme. I’m probably wrong, but I regret nothing.

Sandstone Golem (Vetruvian Minion, Common)

I like playing big minions, but unfortunately Duelyst is very short on those. I also like playing big minions with interesting stat-lines, even if they are worse compared to other cards. This card was mostly inspired by the Eldrazi Devastator of MTG, just without as aggressive of an effect.

Dune Golem (Vetruvian Minion, Common)

Obviously bears relation to Gloomchaser and more distantly Helm of Mechaz0r. It is mostly to help you start your Golem army and to benefit from the unique effects that come with having more golems than your opponent. Plus, with as many buffs that Vetruvian has, I’m certain they can make use of a 0/1.

[details=Formidable Presence (Vetruvian Spell, Rare)]An AoE Vetruvian card that stays true to the style of other AoE Vetruvian cards. If you’re playing a Golem Vetruvian deck, the odds of you having more Golems than your opponent is probably 99.89%. You could mention how a card as specific as this probably shouldn’t exist, but to that I say “Scion’s Third Wish”. Whether or not it’s more playable is for you to decide.

I’d like to think that it is very versatile in that you can use it to buy yourself valuable time to make a comeback or simply help put more pressure on your opponent. The only thing keeping this card back is the fact that it has a specific condition.[/details]

Golem Artificer (Vetruvian Minion, Rare)

Originally a 3-4 mana 3/4, I changed its stats and cost when I realized it contested with a lot of popular Vetruvian 3 to 4 drops. Honestly, this card is probably too slow to exist even in a Golem Vetruvian deck, but other than that I can’t think of much else to say about this one.

Ephemeral Caricature (Vetruvian Spell, Legendary)

My favorite card of those I’ve designed. Honestly, this card was created more to help Artifact Vetruvian than push a Golem theme. That deck archetype doesn’t seem to have a real win-condition besides playing a bunch of Artifacts, so this is something that was made to alleviate that problem. Hypothetically, anyways.

Magmar

The next theme attempts to push the idea of harming your minions for greater effectiveness. These cards were actually very fun to design, to the point where acknowledging that they don’t exist in-game made me kind-of disappointed and very glad at the same time.

Karmic Exchange (Magmar Spell, Common)

A removal option and trigger for damaged effects. Originally went by the name of Blood for Blood, then Karmic Retribution, before finally settling onto Karmic Exchange. It still seems ill-fitting, but I am unable to think of a better name.

Errant Ragebeast (Magmar Minion, Common)

Relative to the beloved Makantor Warbeast. I decided on the ’Errant’ prefix because I did not want to assume titles and names of things without really understanding what they were other than that, for instance, Makantor seemed to be a location. Designed to combat aggressive or Swarm deck archetypes, though very likely pales in comparison to (in terms of effectiveness) Blistering Skorn.

Retributor (Magmar Minion, Rare)

A vengeful ally that swears the blood of his comrade/s shall be paid in kind, though is incredibly unlikely to be able to benefit from damaged effects itself. I’m too intimidated to increase this minion’s health because of Primordial Gazer and/or Greater Fortitude. This is very likely unjustified, but a precaution I feel should be taken nonetheless.

Adrenal Surge (Magmar Spell, Rare)

I actually find it tough to talk about this one. It’s simply an AoE buff that could be used to great effectiveness, though perhaps should not be played recklessly and is very dependent on the situation. Bears similarity to Kinetic Equilibrium, but with potentially a far less impactful downside and is only held back by a (easily manipulatable) condition.

Wrathful Arbiter (Magmar Minion, Epic)

This card focuses on the more control oriented side of Magmar. With good stats relative to its effect and cost (or so I think), this card seems viable. Perhaps too viable, but I can’t bring myself to lower its stats without losing the mighty Magmar feel.

You likely noticed that not every faction has been covered. That’s because I haven’t made cards for them, at least yet. If people care enough about this thread, I’ll update it with the new completely hypothetical and nonexistent cards I cooked up in that mental kitchen of mine.

Assuming I haven’t made a grave mistake in posting this thread, that is. Which I am pretty sure I have (since that kind of thing happens to me frequently apparently), but I digress. So, how well do you think these cards would mesh with the already existent stuff of Duelyst, and what is your opinion on them in general?

I’m sure your voice would be very welcomed at the Fan Card Design Hub - if you post this stuff there, you’ll probably get more input.

There’s also the Monthly Card Design Contest, which awards prizes to the top entries in a curated poll at the end of the month. This month’s theme is hand interaction.

I don’t want to seem like I’m ignoring your designs - I think some of them are pretty cool - I just think it’s good to keep things in the right threads, so I won’t comment on them here specifically.

While I’m afraid I’ve little input on the design of the cards, given I’ve little card sense myself, I’m intrigued by the varied and interesting effects you’ve mustered here. Will be sure to keep an eye on these cool effects. :wink:

My 2 cents, Sun’s Protection isn’t good enough for it’s cost, not even in my beloved Healyonar, to compete with the likes of divine bond and afterblaze. Maybe if it restored more health, or the forcefield effect were permanent, it would be good enough, or maybe even if it costed 1 less mana, and even then it has to compete with Lucent Beam, Lightchasers, Windblades, Healing Mystics & Fiz. But overall I really like your ideas and the themes you’re trying to push.

For me the shongai devastating strike is a little bit too cheap, I’l rise the cost to 4/5 even the cost of the songstress of the strorms to 2.
Anyway awesome cards!!