Edit: Added all the “Purpose” flavortext.
Hey what up guys, its ya boi @thefirstgokun here, bringing you another tasty set of card concepts. I was feeling a little burnt out on everything, so to shake things up around here I decided to design a full expansion and see how hard it is to fill space in a symmetrical release.
This expansion introduces 2 new mechanics, distributed amongst the factions like the past two expacs did. For size, this expac boasts 39 new cards, matching the Bloodborn style expansion model.
Now, I introduce you to…
The Gates of Vermillion
Fortify: You may play Artifacts on this minion. If you do, this minion gains the effects of the Artifact (instead of your General) and activates an effect.
Earthbound Caracara / Magmar / Legendary Minion / 5 Mana / (3/10)
Fortify: Deal damage to all nearby enemies equal to the original cost of the Artifact.
- Purpose: Incentivizes higher cost Artifact decks, since Magmar’s got a good spread of utility and damage Artifacts. Great in a deck with Adamantine Claws, Morin Khur, and two of the upcoming cards.
Shatterdome / Magmar / Rare Minion / 4 Mana / (2/3)
Rush, Fortify: The next minion this minion attacks is destroyed instantly.
- Purpose: A single target removal Rush minion. Can also push a tiny bit of face damage (or a lot, if you can stack Magmar’s heavier Artifacts), but is generally more helpful as a spell-on-legs.
Dactyl / Magmar / Common Minion / 3 Mana / (2/4)
Fortify: Your General gains “Grow: +1/+1.”
- Purpose: A weird little way to Grow your General faster. Can polarize a match: decks with dispel will have an easy time dealing with this ability, while decks without will struggle to close the game quickly.
Gargantuan Greaves / Magmar / Epic Artifact / 4 Mana
Your General gains +2 Attack. Your General cannot be counterattacked by enemies with less Attack.
- Purpose: A fantastic late game Artifact for Vaath, perfect for trading up with your opponent’s blockers and provoke minions, keeping your Artifacts healthy, and pushing face damage.
Volcanic Forge / Magmar / Rare Spell / 5 Mana
Draw 2 Artifacts from your deck and reduce their cost by 2 each.
- Purpose: The discount on the Artifacts and tutoring can make this card evil in the late game. Great fuel for Fortify/Artifact decks, as well as for Smash Vaath in the late game. Makes it easier to curve expensive Artifacts, but does nothing to board the turn you play it.
Runecarved Terrorpin / Magmar / Epic Minion / 5 Mana / (3/5)
Rebirth, Friendly Rebirth minions cannot be targeted by spells.
- Purpose: A heavy Rebirth minion, extremely sticky in the face of spell based removal. Might push Egg decks over the edge. I included this in the set because Rebirth minions could share a list with my favorite Magmar Artifact, Morin Khur.
Opus / Vetruvian / Legendary Minion / 6 Mana / (6/8)
Opening Gambit: Grant all friendly minions “Fortify: Place a copy of the Artifact in your Action Bar.”
- Purpose: Abuses Vetruvian’s token spam to turn Artifacts like Oblivion Sickle and Staff of Y’kir into game enders.
Appraising Syr / Vetruvian / Rare Minion / 3 Mana / (1/5)
Fortify: Restore Health to your General equal to the original cost of the Artifact.
- Purpose: Vetruvian sports a number of high cost, low impact Artifacts. This minion will carry those Artifacts on a half decent body and heal your General, providing much needed sustain to Sajj lists.
Y'kir's Guard / Vetruvian / Common Minion / 3 Mana / (2/4)
Provoke, Fortify: Equip a Staff of Y’kir to your General.
- Purpose: A strong controlling minion for Artifact decks. Can help trades or stall enemies. Very versatile.
Sword of Creation / Vetruvian / Epic Artifact / 2 Mana
Your General has +1 Attack. At the start of your turn, place a Sword of Creation in your Action Bar.
- Purpose: Vetruvians benefit from having many Artifacts available to them, as do their Fortify minions. Here is an Artifact that takes a little protecting but can also net a lot of value, both in card draw and in proccing Fortify or Aurora’s Tears.
Y'kir's Blessing / Vetruvian / Rare Spell / 4 Mana
Equip a Staff of Y’kir to each General and friendly minion with Fortify.
- Purpose: This spell can be deadly on a board with Opus. All your Fortify minions are already solid bodies with good effects, and this spell gives them all +2 Attack and procs their abilities. Potential game ender with any sort of board.
Solar Wingshield / Vetruvian / Epic Minion / 3 Mana / (1/3)
Flying, Opening Gambit: Reduce the cost of each Artifact in your Action Bar by 1.
- Purpose: With all the support for full hands of Artifacts in this set, I decided Artifact acceleration would be important. The body is also incidentally quite helpful with any Vetruvian buff or Opus.
Heavy Arms Dealer / Lyonar / Legendary Minion / 4 Mana / (3/5)
Celerity, Fortify: Equip the Artifact to this minion again.
- Purpose: A Celerity minion that takes Artifact “buffs” twice. High priority threat and slightly stickier than Lysian Brawler.
Forgemaster Prefect / Lyonar / Rare Minion / 3 Mana / (2/3)
Airdrop, Fortify: Draw an Artifact.
- Purpose: Good synergy with cheap Artifacts like Sunstone Bracer, especially for tutoring Regalias in an Artifact deck.
Sunstone Buccaneer / Lyonar / Common Minion / 2 Mana / (3/2)
Fortify: Gain +1/+1.
- Purpose: The most basic Fortify design. Lyonar is just really basic.
Pristine Buckler / Lyonar / Epic Artifact / 1 Mana
Your Artifacts are immune to non-combat effects.
- Purpose: Great card for Artifact decks alongside Regalia and Dawn’s Eye. You can also place this on a Fortify minion in the backline to protect your General’s tools, allowing you an additional Artifact slot.
Tithe Collection / Lyonar / Rare Spell / 1 Mana
Steal 1 health from each of your minions. Draw a card.
- Purpose: One of a number of cards I drafted after CPG made it clear the “Steal” keyword was here to stay. Cantrips and helps facilitate multiple heal procs in a turn.
Sanctum Mother / Lyonar / Epic Minion / 3 Mana / (3/6)
At the end of your turn, steal 2 health from this minion.
- Purpose: A minion that facilitates heal procs for Healyonar. Rather basic, but a useful body, especially on top of Hallowed Ground.
Elude: You may summon a friendly minion from your action bar on this minion’s space. If you do, return this minion to your action bar and activate an effect.
Smokereader / Songhai / Legendary Minion / 4 Mana / (3/4)
Backstab(2), Elude: If the next minion has Backstab, give it Rush.
- Purpose: A game ender in the right decks. Facilitates the chaining of multiple Backstabs, synergizes with Shadow Waltz, essentially doubles the number of Inner Focuses you can have in a deck, and is a hefty threat on its own.
Starstriker / Songhai / Rare Minion / 3 Mana / (2/1)
Ranged, Elude: Deal 3 damage to the closest enemy in front of this minion.
- Purpose: A reusable Phoenix Fire that is also a Ranged threat, but the body is vulnerable to ping. Best used for the Elude effect, which is overpriced but helps with hand size.
Roofrunner / Songhai / Common Minion / 1 Mana / (3/1)
Elude: Move the next minion behind the enemy General.
- Purpose: A 1 mana threat that trades up incredibly well and attracts pings like a flame attracts moths. Can assist Backstab decks or Onyx Jaguar decks.
Cobrafang Dagger / Songhai / Epic Artifact / 3 Mana
Your General gains +1 Attack this turn each time the enemy General takes damage.
- Purpose: Crazy combo artifact with Cyclone Mask, Bangle of Blinding Strikes or Mask of Shadows. Pretty deadly in the late game, especially in a ping heavy deck with Four Winds Magi and Bloodrage Mask.
Befuddle / Songhai / Rare Spell / 4 Mana
Equip a Befuddling Scroll to your opponent.
(Befuddling Scroll: Your General acts like a Battlepet.")
- Purpose: Deadly in a heavy minion deck, particularly with Backstab minions or Hamon Bladeseeker. A cheaper Grandmaster Zendo effect without the body.
Kaido Mentor / Songhai / Epic Minion / 3 Mana / (2/2)
Opening Gambit: Give all minions in your Action Bar “Backstab(1)”.
- Purpose: Synergizes well with Shadow Waltz, Killing Edge, and Smokereader (see above).
Shadow Shamanist / Abyssian / Legendary Minion / 7 Mana / (7/5)
Elude: Summon 1/1 Wraithlings in all nearby spaces.
- Purpose: A board refiller for the ages. Most interesting when played with Furiosa or Deepfire Devourer, but great with any cheap minion. Can turn a Swarm Abyssian game very quickly, and defies most forms of board clear.
Garrotte / Abyssian / Rare Minion / 3 Mana / (4/2)
Elude: Steal 2 Health from the enemy General.
- Purpose: A sustain-oriented minion much like Desolator. An overpriced Void Pulse, but good for keeping both your hand and your General healthy.
Deathfire Prophesier / Abyssian / Common Minion / 3 Mana / (3/3)
Elude: Give the next minion “Deathwatch: Gain +1/+1.”
- Purpose: The worries with this card are its applications with Rush minions, namely Saberspine Tiger. However, Deathfire Crescendo already exists, so there isn’t really much issue with that. A strong, tempo focused body that is best used with good buff targets like Primus Fist and Azure Herald.
Memory Cowl / Abyssian / Epic Artifact / 4 Mana
Your General gains the effects of all friendly Artifacts destroyed this game.
- Purpose: A weirdo Artifact to build a deck around, much like The Releaser. As the game goes on, the bonuses for this Artifact can get really crazy, making multiple Cowls a potential win condition.
Soulreaping / Abyssian / Rare Spell / 3 Mana
Steal 1 Health from each enemy.
- Purpose: A low level aoe and General heal, potentially interesting alongside Punish or Gleameyes (see below).
Gleameyes / Abyssian / Epic Minion / 5 Mana / (3/3)
Opening Gambit and Dying Wish: Give all minions in your opponent’s Action Bar -1/-1. Cannot reduce minions below 1 Health.
- Purpose: One of my favorites of this set’s designs. Great for Dying Wish decks that can resummon their minions, hilarious against swarm (especially alongside aoe like Skorn or Breath of the Unborn).
Prismalyne / Vanar / Legendary Minion / 5 Mana / (6/5)
Elude: Stun all nearby enemy minions.
- Purpose: A permastun card for stalling (much better than the Matron). Requires cheap procs, but with Snowchasers and Crystal Cloakers this should be a breeze.
Snowlurker / Vanar / Rare Minion / Vespyr / 4 Mana / (4/3)
Elude: Summon two 2/1 Snowchasers in random nearby spaces.
- Purpose: Why has God abandoned us.
Snowdrift Monk / Vanar / Common Minion / Arcanyst / 2 Mana / (1/4)
Elude: Place a random Vanar spell in your Action Bar.
- Purpose: An Arcanyst ally aimed at assisting an annoying archetype. Great minion early for the body and late for the card draw.
Tailwind Raiment / Vanar / Epic Artifact / 3 Mana
Whenever a minion returns to its owner’s Action Bar, deal 2 damage to a random enemy.
- Purpose: Sounds weak, but consider the following: Hailstone Prison, Snowchasers, 3 Elude minions (one of which summons more Snowchasers), Owlbeast Caretaker (see below), and Sand Burrower. Consider now that many of Vanar’s Artifacts, such as the Dredger and Lightning Asp, proc on General damage rather than General attack. This is my favorite theorycrafting card for that reason.
Manasurge / Vanar / Rare Spell / 1 Mana
Transform all minions in your Action Bar into random spells of the same cost, and vice versa.
- Purpose: Weirdo card, but potentially hilarious with Circulus and a hand full of Illusions. Note that this card only pulls from your faction’s card pool.
Owlbeast Caretaker / Vanar / Epic Minion / 2 Mana / (3/2)
Opening Gambit: Return a friendly minion to your Action Bar to give it and Owlbeast Caretaker both +1/+1.
- Purpose: More retreating minions, sort of in line with the Elude theme without quite being an Elude minion. Great with high value Opening Gambits like Zyx, Healing Mystic and Ash Mephyt.
Simian / Neutral / Legendary Minion / 5 Mana / (3/7)
Provoke, Whenever this minion takes damage place a random Artifact in your Action Bar.
- Purpose: A big brutish body for filling your Action Bar with Artifacts, useful or otherwise.
Pingas / Neutral / Rare Minion / 4 Mana / (5/3)
Your General takes 1 less damage from all sources.
- Purpose: An Artifact card that doesn’t say anything about Artifacts. This card reduces the chance of getting rekt by a Bloodrage Mask, Four Winds Magi, or swarm of Wraithlings.
Emerald Squire / Neutral / Common Minion / 3 Mana / (2/4)
Opening Gambit: Return a friendly minion to your Action Bar to restore 3 Health to your General.
- Purpose: Similar synergies with Owlbeast Caretaker, with the added bonus of extending the lives of Control decks.