Fan Card Design Hub: Discussion (+Card Design Contest Discussion)

No. Also,

Songhai: Umbramancer
5 mana 4/4:
Your Bloodbound spell becomes Mist Walk.

That’s actually pretty interesting. Would be cool to have a deck that consisted of constantly changing your BBS, in fact Noa needs to tell the designer team to make an expansion around this.

As for your minion, I would probably suggest bringing the cost down to 4 as 5 mana makes it unplayable. In addition, I would also give it either a +0/+1 or +1/+0, the latter would be better.

Although if this card came into existence, I can’t help but feel it might be OP.

Plus 1 attack would be better? :facepalm:

Yeah, you would want the minion to hold some weight itself since the BBS only lets you run whereas geomancer can at least give you PF to clear things with. It would still be just as good with 4/4 I suppose, just a suggestion.

4/5 is much better than 5/4 in any situation, except maybe if it said opening gambit: “deal damage to an enemy equal to this minions attack”
Or something similar. Its just insanely sticky and can make the difference between getting 8 damage off it or 4 damage. Or 12 damage over 8 damage.
5/4 is (except for a few fringe cases) strictly worse

4/5 is better, but some many people would complain about hai having such a sticky minion, besides you would probably only play this card in artihai to run away in which case the extra health would be meaningless.

@galaxydueler with your submission, eggs already have the ability to attack/counterattack if they have an attack value.

I didn’t know they could counterattack :thonk:

Yep, they can (although in most cases they have 0 attack, so they usually aren’t able to deal damage by counterattacking). I still think your card is well designed, although i think you can afford reducing its cost to 3 (maybe even 2 mana, but that might be pushing it) and removing the “can counterattack” text.

@cloudfrog
Am I missing something or did you ignore the prompt of the Card Design Contest with your submission? I don’t see how it has anything to do with counterattacking :thinking:

sorry, i didn’t follow the strict duelyst terminology where the unit attacks back when someone attacks it. Instead i made a card that lets someone regain tempo by hitting everything that attacked last turn(so as to counterattack).

disqualify it if you think it should be.

You can try changing your card.

Maybe when your friendly minions counterattack the next turn you cast this spell something happens? Something so powerfull that your opponent will have to decide to either kill the minion he wants to attack or leave it be if he cant finish it of.

all i could think when i saw this card was
“yesss, yesss, grow fat on my wraithlings for tonight you betray your master”

Here are some (hopefully) cool card ideas I came up with, one per faction (yes, I even designed one for the Abyssian scum). Check 'em out and give me feedback, not that it matters in the slightest, but why not?

Astral Priestess (3)
Rare Neutral Minion [2/4]
-When you replace a card, reduce its cost by 1. Minions replaced this way get +1/+1.

Panddo Assassin (2)
Rare Songhai Minion [0/2]
-Backstab (2)
-Cannot be attacked. Can attack with 0 Attack.

Pharaoh’s Arch (3)
Epic Vetruvian Structure [0/6]
-Friendly minions that move through this gain +2/+2 and a random keyword.

Ironcliffe Plate (3)
Rare Lyonar Artifact
-Your General gains +3 Attack and Provoke.
-When this breaks, restore 10 Health to your General.

Blade of Broken Promises (2)
Epic Abyssian Artifact
-Your General gains +1 Attack.
-Whenever you skip an Opening Gambit, add a Betrayal to your hand.

Yggdra, Heart of Winter (4)
Legendary Vanar Structure [0/10]
-Your tokens have Invulnerable while there is a stunned minion on the battlefield.

NOTE: This is a structure because it is a tree. Clearly, Yggdra refers to the World Tree Yggdrasil from Norse mythology (and Vanar has treefolk).

Explosive Broodmother (5)
Legendary Magmar Minion [3/7]
-Your eggs have “Dying Wish: This deals 2 damage to all nearby enemies.”

Astral Priestess: Functions similarly to Crusader, and Crusader kinda flopped as a card, this would as well, neat replace synergy but you are too unlikely to get any real value from it.

Panddo Assassin: Neat card, cool concept. Pretty solid :ok_hand:

Iron Pyramid: This is actually a net nerf to Obelysk strategies, The idea is kinda cool in that if its a stalemate situation you can just plop this down, and now you are slowly building a giant board. That said, giving up wind dervishes is a pretty awful thing for Obelysks, neat design, but wouldn’t be anything other than incredibly niche.

Lionheart Plate: technically cool in theory, but awful, awful, awful in practice. Duelyst deals with loss of health very differently than other games, if you lose whatever is boosting your hp, the damage you’ve been dealt is applied to your main hp. In this instance it is effectively only giving +3 attack and provoke for 3 mana, which in itself isn’t awful, but the actual +10 hp, does nothing once the artifact breaks.

Blade of Broken Promises: Very neat design, no reason for the Betrayals to be cheaper though, without that cost reduction this is actually a very cool premise :ok_hand:

Yyggdra: Assuming Yggdra itself isn’t a token, this is pretty cool actually, not sure I get the intertwined effects presented here, like it feels like alot of designs smushed together, so its definitely not clean, but its neat at least and seems fun :slight_smile:

Broodmother: Neat card, like it alot :ok_hand:

I gave it +1 Attack, and I think it would now find a place in replace decks, and possibly even Mantra decks as well.

Thanks! This is something I have always wanted in Songhai…

You were very right about that. I changed it to heal 10 health when it breaks, which makes it much more appealing. I think that counteracts the Provoke (it also works with Healyonar) now.

True enough.

Yggdra’s disciple has to do with tokens and stun, and so does this.

I do think you are wrong here. I see your point, that it makes Obelysks very slow, but this card can actually make useless Obelysks (on the other side of the battlefield or teleported to a corner, as often happens) into army factories that must be removed.

it might get too powerful or painful by doing this, but why not simply have it transform all wind dervises (or even more powerful, all minions with rush) into iron dervishes. so it even affects your opponents minions. it nerfs the rush based clear and aggro strats but buffs board based strategies like the oasis swarm decks.

So you’re saying it might be too powerful… so make it more powerful?

Wanted to comment on two parts here.

For Yggdras disciple it does not have much at all to actually do with tokens. It becomes a token yes, but thats a byproduct of its effect and is not core to its design. Its core design is> thing gets stunned, Disciple becomes big scary monster, when big scary monster when things get stunned it heals.
Anything else like token synergy is just a byproduct of it transforming.

As far as the Pyramids go, if you want to maintain the same style of design, but keep it strong, have the Obelysk make Wind Dervishes lose Ephemeral. It accomplishes the same overall thing you were looking to do, but still lets little rush dudes be little rush dudes. And helps to create dramatic tension because if the Obelysk dies/gets dispelled, their Ephemeral will return and 1000 units may cry out in unison as they don’t feel so good and vanish.

I think I fixed Yggdra (now the effects are more connected):

And as for the Pyramid, I’m not sure what you are referring to… :wink: