Faction concept: Polani fleet

Overview
Howdy y’all, I guess it’s my turn to try my hand at making a new faction. Without further ado, here’s the Polani fleet

Lore

Due to the vast distance between the fleet and Mythron, the Polani cannot directly interact with the land of Mythron. The otherworldly terrors we see around us are but a shadow cast by their vast interstellar fleet. All the factions of Mythron can hope to do against this force is disrupt their navigational technology, to delay, or even prevent, Polani invasion. Even a loose assortment of probes has the military might of an entire nation, what chance does Mythron stand in the event of a full invasion?

With the impending invasion, some Mythron inhabitants worship the Polani as gods. A certain sect of the Alcuin go as far as to believe that they were the ones who sent the star seed to Mythron to grant it mana. Still others aim to reverse-engineer Polani technology to creat weapons capable of damaging the main fleet.

Visuals

Due to the nature of this faction, no Polani individuals have been sighted. Polani probes usually take the form of geometric cores surrounded by a gelatainous forcefield. As the game progresses, the Polani May feel the need to pull in greater components of their fleet. These stronger vessels are composed of a silvery metal, with concentrated, solid force fields.

Keywords

Phasing
Cannot be counterattacked or provoked. Moves through units. Nice and simple movement based ability.

Charge:
The Polani employ structures with subtype beacon that have a third stat called charge

• Charge increases by one at the start of your turn.
  • Charge appears in the same bubble as attack would have
  • Charge cannot be used to attack or counterattack, but acts as attack for all other purposes (plasma storm, grapnel paragon)
  • Discharging sets Charge to zero to activate an effect, with X being equal to current charge.

Discard:
Some Polani cards allow you to discard other cards for some added effect. Discard always happens on our own turn. You may choose which card(s) you discard

Probes:
The probe tribe has very poor stats, but extremely strong synergies to make up for it. The tribe tag is so strong, that even a vanilla 1/1 probe can wreck a lot of havoc.

Late game focus:
In the late game, the Polani send in more resources from their fleet, with many overwhelmingly powerful threats.

Generals

Explaination
As the Polani invasion advanced, the Polani tasked with overseeing probes sent to Mythron gradually started adopting the Mythronian culture, and even discussing preserving Mythron life. It is unknown whether this was done as an attempt of integration, or a show of force, but the Polani has sent champions to compete in the tournaments of Eyos. These champions are constructs controlled by high-ranking Polani. To appear more familliar, the Polani gave their champions what they believe are “normal” mythronian names.

In fact, many of the Polani spells and units appear to be (poorly) renamed to fit with Mythronian languages.

Jieke, Tower holder
Bloodborn Spell: Electric Eye Draw a card. Discard a card.

Explaination

A great card filtering Bloodborn Spell that has synergy with cards that benefit from discard. A “jack of all trades” general that happens to have a bit of discard synergy.

Qoa’lang, Seed Elder
Bloodborn Spell: Distort: Give a friendly character +1 move.

Explaination

A powerful repositioning tool. An excellent defensive ability for your general if you stack it up. Overall, this is a late game defensive payoff ability that allow you to survive and use he Polani’s powerful lategame.

Basic

Planar probe
2 mana, probe
1/1
Phasing

Ringing Crescent
4 mana
3/3
Damage delt to this minion is reduced to one

Null fabricator
6 mana
0/1/8 beacon
Discharge: summon an 3X/3X hologram with provoke

Maelstrom pulse
5 mana spell
Deal 5 damage to the first enemy in front of your general, and 2 to all enemies around it.

Voidstorm
2 mana spell
Deal 1 damage to all enemies. If you discard this, cast it for free.

Ecological cycling
1 mana
Draw 2 cards. When you play or replace one, discard the other.

Beam me up
1 mana
Return an friendly minion to your hand. It costs 2 less.

Fusion engine
1 mana artifact
Phasing

Core

The core set lays down the groundwork of the Polani Fleet, with powerful Probe synergies, discard support, and lategame powerhouses that reward patience. Discard cycling ensures that the Polani excel at getting a combo together. However, I chose to keep the focus of the core set on support of the core mechanics, and leave the powerful combos for later expansions.

Common

Silent Bell
3 mana, probe
1/1
Flying, Forcefield

Charge coil
2 mana, beacon
0/0/3
Discharge: deal 2X damage to the nearest enemy

Holothuria
5 mana, minion
4/4
Opening Gambit: put two probe that died this game into your hand.

Cnetos
4 mana minion
3/5
Forcefield, Provoke, Opening Gambit, discard a card.

Death ray
4 mana spell
Deal 6 damage to a minion. If that kills it, deal the remaining damage to the enemy general.

Redeploy
2 mana spell
Summon all friendly probes that died since your last turn. Draw a card.

Nullspace
2 mana spell
Reduce the attack of all enemy minions to 1.

Rare

Phylliroe
4 mana probe
7/1

Tower of Joy
3 mana beacon
0/8/8
Discharge: Draw a card that costs X. That card cannot be replaced.

Phaseblade
3 mana minion
2/5
Phasing Deals 3 damage to enemies this phases through.

Cephalon
5 mana minion
4/3
Forcefield. Whenever this attacks or is attacked, all friendly beacons Charge

Positron flow
4 mana spell
Steal 3 health from target enemy and all connected enemies. Discard 2 cards.

Recharge
2 mana spell
Charge all friendly beacons. Draw a card.

Vacuum Energy
3 mana spell
Draw 3 cards. At the start of each of your next 3 turns, discard a card.

Epic

Extinction Chime
7 mana minion
5/7
Opening Gambit: Summon all friendly probes played this game.

Mirror Entity
4 mana minions
0/9
Provoke. When this is attacked, counter with an identical attack.

Abduction
5 mana spell
Put target minion into your action bar

Starless void
0 mana spell
Discard your hand.

Radiation drive
2 mana artifact
Ranged, Flying, At the start of your turn, discard a card.

Legendary

The Tower
9 mana minion
0/0
Can only be played if you discarded 9 or more cards this game. Invulnerable. You May play cards from your opponent’s hand.

The Seed
8 mana minion
0/0
Invulnerable. At the end you turn, deal 5 damage to the nearest enemy and summon a planar probe

Starmother Pleione
4 mana minion
4/5
When you discard a spell, you may cast it if you pay its mana cost.

Alternate timeline
5 mana spell
Return the game to the start of your last turn, except this card is a random Polani minion.

Punica Curse
3 mana spell
Add an Oracle Seed to your hand

Oracle Seed

0 mana spell
When this is discarded, return it to your hand and restore 1 health.

Singularity drive
3 mana artifact

• 3 attack. Spells only affect characters and tiles within their caster’s movement range.

Shim’zar

After drifting through space for so long, the Polani are in awe at the freedom that life enjoys within the confines of Mythron’s gravity. Living samples were a rare luxury, and many Polani were eager to pay large sums to get their hands on a Mythron pet. In the hull of Polani ships, evolution took hold, and twisted the descendants of these creatures to reflect the void they call home

Common

Ada
1 mana battlepet
2/2
If you discard this minion, summon it

Etherial Comb
2 mana minion
1/2
When you discard a card, gain +1/+1

Galaxy in a Bottle
4 mana spell
Add 3 random Polani spells to your hand. They cannot be replaced.

Probe Dive
2 mana spell
Deal 2 damage. Summon a copy of target friendly probe.

Rare

IAU
2 mana battlepet
3/3
Flying. moves to and attacks the furthest enemy instead of the closest.

Gabriel’s Horn
4 mana probe
2/1
At the end of each turn, deal 1 damage to all enemy minions.

Supermembrane
3 mana spell
Choose a space. This turn, friendly characters may fly to that space.

Epic

Overseer
4 mana minion
4/3
At the end of your turn, summon all probes that died this turn.

Riftia
7 mana beacon
0/1/9
Charges whenever your opponent turns replaces a card. Discharge: deal X damage to target enemy. Summon X Planar probes.

Chromatic Sphere
4 mana spell
When you draw this, transform it into a coloured sphere

Red Sphere

4 mana spell
Deal 3 damage. Add a random coloured sphere to your hand.

Blue Sphere

4 mana spell
Summon a 3/3 hologram with provoke. Add a random coloured sphere to your hand.

Green sphere

4 mana spell
Restore 6 health. Add a random Coloured sphere to your hand.

Legendary

Caelum
6 mana minion
5/5
Provoke Dying wish: take control of the enemy minion with the most health.

Mirror universe
8 mana spell
During your opponent’s next turn, whenever they play a card, play a copy of that card (targets of Opening Gambits, Spells, and Discards chosen randomly)

Curvature Drive
7 mana artifact
Friendly characters may pass through the edges of the board. If they do, they permanently gain +2 attack, +1 movement range, and Phasing

So lore wise the polani fleet is just every gainax ending ever

You should make it Polanyi, in honor of the economist and the philosopher of science.

I like this. Phasing is a neat keyword, and it’s nice that there’s a lot of movement-based effects in this faction overall. Discard was initially underwhelming, but cards like Voidstorm and Chromatic Sphere really made it interesting. (I don’t know if the Duelyst UI allows you to target a card in your hand though.) Probes are nice, but I feel like you can get a little more creative with them. It’ll be cool to see the Probes being transformed into something stronger, or assemble themselves into one giant robot, or something like that.

he could if the cards are random on discard, and then add a card or two that have effects that make them the target of discard effects. :>

also from the read everything looks nice so far, look forward to seeing more stuff in the future.

Seems like @halcyon98 and me are driving this meme trend pretty far. As he said, I too love the high movement-based mobility instead of effect based mobility, which Duelyst already is in abundance of. I am in wait of more powerful Probe support and some wacky combos in the future. The one big thing you, my awesome creator, did right, is that this faction is EXTREMELY simple in concept. Exactly what a Faction should be based off. I am proud of the legacy the forefathers of the Fanfaction Fever have created, may our journey walk along history.

Thanks for the feedback y’all!

@loliconartist let’s hope we don’t get another End of Evangelion ending. I don’t have the yogurt to spare!

@winsome they are named after the word for “night sky” in the Hawaiian language. Making it a double-pun does seem like a good idea, and adding a “y” is the Duelyst way.

@halcyon98 @limango hoooOOOooooOOOooo boi! you don’t even wanna know what I have planned for drone support! It won’t be a Duelyst faction (even a fan made one) if there wasn’t an under-supported mechanic in there.

@cold52 I know targeted discards would require changing the UI, but I prefer my MTG discards to my hearthstone ones. Just personal preference.

Starting work on Bloodbound Ancients!

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.