Duelyst Conspiracies

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now, and I finally got around to it today. Well anyway, I’ve noticed a few rather interesting, and somewhat subtle references in Duelyst. Thought I’d compile them all in one thread. Know any more? Tell me!

If I’ve got something wrong, or done something else to mess up, just let me know. I’m all up for correcting stuff.

Neutrals

Bloodtear Alchemist

may be a reference to the game fate/grand order, where bloodstone tear is a drop you can get. May be coincidence as well.

Prophet of the white palm

Guesswork tells me that it’s either referring to a canadian online weed store, or its a deep reference to Desert of Desolation, an adventure module composed for Dungeons and Dragons(the board game), which includes a previously published module called Oasis of the white palm.

Amu

Amu was the nineteenth and last pharaoh of the Hyksos Sixteenth dynasty of Egypt

Araki Headhunter

Araki is a japanese name, that occurs quite a few times. The fact that the author of Jojo’s Bizarre adventures is Hirohiko Araki may or may not be significant. It cements my belief in the whole anime reference thing, but you could choose to pass it off as a coincidence as well. Or it may even be something I completely missed.

Araras Prophet

Araras means macaw in Portugese.

Carcynus

Referring to the giant crab of greek mythology from the legend of hercules known as Karkinos, or carcinus.

Flameblood

The second time Path of Exile pops up on this list. Flame is a bloodline modifier for monsters.

Metaltooth

A hearthstone mech card apparently. https://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/12254-metaltooth-leaper

Komodo Charger and Hunter

Komodo dragon’s are a type of large unfriendly carnivorous lizards that live in exotic places were you will likely never meet them. They share no physical resemblance with Komodo Chargers or HUnters, thus allowing us to make the assumption that these are distant cousins of the Komodo Dragon, more likely related to the pangolin. Especially since the charger’s are often hunted to extinction by scarzigs.

Bluetip Scorpion

In the board game pathfinder, a species of sea scorpions(actual scientific name euryperids) knows as blue tip eurypterids exist. There is of course the possibility that the devs may be referencing pathfinder via this, seeing as this isn’t the only reference.

Planar Scout

Planar Scouts are a type of class in the board game pathfinder. This particular class hops around planes, possibly just in the same way that planar scout can be airdropped.
https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Ranger%20Planar%20Scout

Recombobulus

From the root word recombobulate

Alcuin Loremaster

Loremaster is terribly interesting in that it’s design basically just calls out to pyramid head from the Silent Hill franchise. Alcuin by the way, was was an English scholar, clergyman, poet and teacher from York, Northumbria. Which presumably inspired the whole keeper of knowledge theme.(@excogitator here you go)

Shiro puppydragon

It’s also a reference to japanese culture(according to @miguelosz )

Rock Pulverizer

A pangolin-esque creature that also seems to share plenty of similarities in its sprite with that of Golem (the pokemon.)

Sol

From sol’s sprite we can gather that it is a musical reference. Upon further research, it refers to In music, solfège (UK: /ˈsɒlfɛdʒ/,[1] US: /sɒlˈfɛʒ/; French: [sɔlfɛʒ]) or solfeggio (/sɒlˈfɛdʒioʊ/; Italian: [solˈfeddʒo]), also called sol-fa , solfa , solfeo , among many names, which is a method of teaching in music theory. Basically “do re mi fa so la ti do”

Vale Hunter

A WoW(world of warcraft) NPC. Is it a possible reference? I dunno. It could be honestly, seeing as there is another possible WoW reference. Besides it could be very likely that one of the devs played or plays WoW. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Vale_Hunter

Owlbeast Sage

Another Possible WoW reference. Owlbeasts are a type of enemy in WoW, that you can battle. They’re a type of kin. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Owlbeast

Spriggin

Spriggin is clearly an elf. Spriggin’s summons are called kin. What’re the chances that this may be another WoW reference? Quite high. The dark elves in WoW consider the wildkin as staunch allies. Possibly another reference. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Wildkin
On that note, the owlbeasts are a subtype of wildkin. But like sorta different.

Songhai

Spiral Technique

Now the Songhai have quite a few interesting Naruto references actually, and spiral technique, while somewhat less obvious, stood out a bit to me. As it turns out, the japanese word for spiral, is Uzumaki. Uzumaki is Naruto’s first/last name(whatever). Now that was wholly assumption, and could be pure coincidence or merely a reference to asian culture in general, instead of specifically naruto.

Eight Gates

Another Naruto reference. Eight gates refers to the eight taijutst gates you can open up, in naruto. Again not necessary, but what I believe.

Ghost Lightning

Another naruto reference? idk. Maybe this is their homage to the chidori. Possible.

Gotatsu

A kotatsu (Japanese: 炬燵) is a low, wooden table frame covered by a futon , or heavy blanket, upon which a table top sits. Of course it could also be that CPG just yolo’d the name, or they wanted it to be symbolic of how this is the basic spell upon which the deck rests.

Joseki

In go and shōgi , a jōseki or jouseki ( kanji characters 定石 for go , 定跡 for shōgi ) is the studied sequences of moves for which the result is considered balanced for both black and white sides
Alright that was surprisingly, deep and unexpected of CPG. they know their shit for sure. plus symbolically it means how both players get a card= net no gain. Unless you happen to be playing, i dunno, wanderer reva, and I dunno… you steal a flash? whoops.

Katara

I don’t know who, but one of the CPG devs is a huge, huge anime fan. Katara of course is from the last airbender. A fairly important waterbender character. Katars are also a type of push dagger, from South Asia. Most famous type of Indian dagger apparently. Usualy ceremonial purposes, and origiates from Tamil Nadu(indian state) or near south india. However Katara’s sprite holds sais, somewhat in contrast. Sais by the way, are another type of dagger that originated from Okinawa, Japan.

Mist dragon seal

dunno what I expected when I googled it, but here it is. Another tribute to their origins I guess. Just overlook the copyright violation.

Mist dragon is a MTG card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=mist+dragon Gives a somewhat similar effect in that it hands a mist dragon flying I think. But idk. Never played MTG before.somebody experienced tell me what it does.

Suzumebachi

Another goddamn anime reference. This weeb… ok well whatever, its a reference to a bleach character; manifested spirit of Suì-Fēng’s Zanpakutō.
To the uninitiated, a zanpakuto is a sword spirit thingy everybody happens to conveniently have to kill each other, in bleach.
It also referes to a family of true wasps, because uhh thats sorta the design for the zanpakuto, and the absolutely terrifying asian giant hornet is also called a suzumebachi. And stuff. look it up for more details.

Xho

It’s either referring to a type 2 restriction enzyme, or Jalabar Xho from game of thrones. I’m inclined to favour the latter, since there are other references to GoT characters as well.

the Kaido lot

The whole lot of Kaido cards actually, are a huge reference to One-Piece’s(another popular anime) kaido, the yonkou for those who know what I’m talking bout. Uncoincidentally, kaido also controls the whole Japanese martial world island group and the shogunate thingy in One Piece.

Mind-cage oni

mind-cage refers to a whole group of helmets in path of exile, a videogame i dunno bout and don’t play. Not the first time a relatively obscure game has come up, so I won’t be suprised if this was intended. An oni means demon in japanese. (@excogitator here you go)

Mizuchi

The Mizuchi 蛟 is a type of Japanese dragon or legendary serpent-like creature, either found in aquatic habitat or otherwise connected to water. the design couldn’t be further from this, inspiring me to believe that this is either irony coming from someone with an IQ over 9000, or the work of an idiot using a random japanese generator. I dunno. You tell me.

Orizuru

A folded paper crance. Yes THE PAPER CRANE. its called an orizuru. “The orizuru (折鶴 ori- “folded,” tsuru “crane”), or paper crane, is a design that is considered to be the most classic of all Japanese origami.” This surely can’t be coincidental as orizuru is a crane type flying minion.

Penumbraxx

Real obvious. Penumbra. Partial shadow. Intended to either be oP. or just trash. on that note, if you have a timekeeper and a penumbraxx, can you get a pseudo-rush OTK because you backstab, umbraxx becomes a building, and then one-turn becomes 0 turns, and it gets built again, and then you backstab again, and on and on, until you win?

sparrowhawk

An eurasian bird. Can fly. You get mist-dragon seal. your minion flies. Flying thunderhorn kill everybody. yay. Fun. calls for midrange kaleos to be nerfed Oh and sparrowhawk is also a kung fu style. No surprise there.

bakezori

one eyed demon. “A Bakezōri is a fictitious being from Japanese folklore belonging to the group of Yōkais.” bakezori too is a one-eyed demon. nice. “The Bakezōri is described as a wandering sandal with two arms and two legs, but only one eye. He is said to spook inhabited households during the night, running around and continuously chanting” Bakezori likes to move about a lot. oh and another possible reference here is to Nura and the rise of the Yokai clan, which is a somewhat obscure anime title that you may or may not have seen. It has a bakezori in it if I’m right, though its been a while since I watched it.

Wildfire Tenketsu

Another naruto reference. tenketsu is this whole pressure point thing where you smack somebody in their pressure point and boom they either die, explode, or scream NANIIIIII.

Alkyone

In Greek mythology, Alcyone or Alkyone was the daughter of Aeolus, either by Enarete or Aegiale. She married Ceyx, son of Eosphorus the Morning Star. So all the seven sisters are inspired by characters like this.

Hamon Bladeseeker

Hamon may refer to:

• Hamon (swordsmithing), the visual result of the tempering process used in much of Japanese swordsmithing
  • Hamon, the Japanese practice of excommunication from a dojo or apprenticeship
  • Hamon, the name for ham in Filipino cuisine

Something tells me its probably just ham, but thats probably cuz I havn’t had anything to eat in a while. You tell me which one it is. (hint: from the huge ass sword thats worth two damage a turn, you can tell its all about kicking kids out the dojo, or maybe just about how sexy that sword looks. tempering reminds me of tempura for some reason. lol)

Zendo

Zendō (禅堂) (Chinese: Chántáng) or senbutsu-jō (選仏場) is a Japanesemeditation hall”. In Zen Buddhism, the zen-dō is a spiritual dōjō where zazen (sitting meditation) is practiced.

yeah so its either that, or

Zendo is a game of inductive logic designed by Kory Heath in which one player (the “Master”) creates a rule for structures (“koans”) to follow, and the other players (the “Students”) try to discover it by building and studying various koans which follow or break the rule.

Seeing the whole Koan of horn thing actually, I’m not sur which one it is. Honestly speaking it could be both. And thats cool. Its both japanese inspired too. though its more likely to be from the second, the second one is inspired by the first. So all’s chill I guess.

Koan of horns

A reference to the game of zendo. All the koans follow the master. Quick somebody check this out. Is there a discoverable interaction if you play a zendo followed by a koan? this could be it guys.

Koans are also questions/statements used in zen buddhism; a paradoxical anecdote or riddle without a solution, used in Zen Buddhism to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and provoke enlightenment. (credit to @anjosustrakr for correcting that.)

Kensho vortex

Kenshō [note 1] (見性) is a Japanese term from the Zen tradition. Ken means “seeing,” shō means “nature, essence”.[4][2] It is usually translated as “seeing one’s (true) nature,” that is, the Buddha-nature.

yes. thats real. Quite interesting inspiration honestly. I’m actually surprised by the depth of this game at times.

Magmar: ak giant cow of doom, plus roman kung fu

Kujata

Believe it or not, Kujata is actually a mythical cosmic bull of doom. In Islam. Don’t see all that in the card, but my favourite meme dancer is now a cow. Yay.

Rancour

Rancour is legit a word. No kidding.

ˈraŋkə/

noun

1. bitterness or resentfulness, especially when long standing.

Just like the way I hate this card and wish it survived longer. And just like the way I hate it when I get triple flameblood dance of meme kujata’s with a rancour to smack face later.

Phalanxar

ya gotta be an idiot not to get it. Root word Phalanx. The irony is in that a phalanx is a super tight hyper defensive squad of people. Maybe you don’t have to be an idiot after all.

Silithar

I’m talking bout all of 'em. Either it comes from the root latin, which hints towards something like snake or serpent or something. Or somebody was a hardcore lotro fan and knows what the hell an adamant is. And a silithar was one of those adamants. I sound like a conspiracy theorist now.

Moloki Huntress

Moloki means good person in uhh… Northern Sotho? Is that a language? idk. but here have a north sothoian quote. ‘Bao ba sa tsebego wena ga ba tsebe moloki’, which roughly translates to: “go look it up.” oh and also, moloki is a place in Hawaii. guess one of the devs spent some time there or something. Moloki also means the reproductive organs of male fish in russian. which is highly likely to be the true referent here. (credit to @alplod for the last one)

Thraex

Thraex is a gladiator fighting style representing the Thracian enemies of Rome. Well, this style was no doubt very shit, seeing how long this minion manages to last.

Adamantite Claws

A shameless ripoff of wolverine. Just like the faction. It removes your shit, heals and then removes you. Sorta like the plots of the X-men and wolverine movies. Or possibly referencing adamant/adamantite or a hoard of other less common names of the unbreakable mythical metal adamantium. Could even be from final Fantasy. However given the design of the claws being so terribly similar to Wolverine’s claws, I personally believe in the first one.

Drogon

Another shameless ripoff. Drogon _coincidentally_is the name of one of the three Dothraki sea dragons in Game of Thrones. Hmmmm…

Taygete

A nymph, one of the Pleiades according to the Bibliotheca (3.10.1) and a companion of Artemis, in her archaic role as potnia theron, “Mistress of the animals”. Well atleast CPG tried over here.

Grimrock

A possible reference to the legend of grimrock. Ancient Videogame published by Almost Human that I don’t know because I’m not 20.

Haruspex

həˈrʌspɛks/

noun

1. (in ancient Rome) a religious official who interpreted omens by inspecting the entrails of sacrificial animals.

what the giant horned duck?

Rizen

Possible reference to uhh The Rizen, a shitty movie nobody cares about. The card is better than the movie. But like the movie, it most definitely is not worth the price.(Unlikely. or atleast i wish it is)

And thats about what I got for Magmar. Turns out this is the roman faction, what the hell. Do you think these are likely? I dunno. You tell me.

ooooooor…

Also, most references to Naruto are the references to Asian culture, mostly Japanese. Cause Naruto is a reference to Japanese culture.

Or would you say that anyone using word “Shinobi” references Naruto?

Other than that a very fun research, thanks :wink:

means reproductive organs of male fish in Russian. I guess it’s the reason :slight_smile:

The amount of cultural ignorance in this post is staggering. Or I just got baited super hard.

both maybe :thinking:

No. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōan

:facepalm: How are these even conspiracies again?

That’s adamantium…
Adamantite is from Terraria. But actually it is just a mythical metal.

No. :wink:

Most of these are just normal Japanese words, doesn‘t have anything to do with Anime, neither has a word from another language to be a reference of any kind. Interesting research regardless.

First time I remember seeing Adamantite used was original Final Fantasy, it’s what you used to create Excalibur. I’m sure it had many uses before that though.

That’s coold, though I happened to miss it. However, Katara appears to carry sais not katars, which confuses me…

@victorious23 I can’t claim to know all of these cultures particularly well. This was just something stupid I did for fun, and I’m sorry if it offended you.

@DefectiveProduct @victorious23
Well an argument could be made in that CPG is a California based game development company, and thus were unlikely to know asian culture in the detail that it take to label some of these minions. This of course is a presumption I made in the pursuit of making these conspiracies. For all I know CPG could have a member who is intimately familiar with asian culture to know it all. Alternately, I offer the explanation that this may also have been done by somebody unfamiliar with asian culture, but familiar with anime and manga, due to the prolieferation of this media form, even in non-asian countries. Of course it is within the realm of possibility for any of these claims, assertions or assumptions of any of us to be true or untrue. We can’t say anything for sure, unless the devs tell us. That being said, I believe it is in the nature of a conspiracy to choose the less obvious, less likely narrative, over something quite dull and most likely true. I didn’t mean to offend anybody though. Sorry if that did happen.

CPG stole a word from the dictionary. Somebody copyright strike them. Puts tinfoil hat back on

How did you talk about Alcuin loremaster and mind cage Oni and not talk about who Alcuin and what an Oni is?

Overall, this post is… a thing I guess??? It’s great to see someone dig into the flavour of the cards, even if we disagree on what they refer to.

Hamon blademaster is obviously a JoJos reference

Sure, I’ll add that up there in a minute. I actually figured that explaining what an oni was… was sorta basic I guess? I dunno. Will add that

I’m surprised that no one bothered proposing that S.I.L.V.E.R doesn’t actually mean anything and is just a troll.

Any thoughts on this @Ryvirath and @ThanatosNoa?

Thanatos actually hinted at it being an acronym for something in his stream with Sylvermyst.

This is reverse psychology

Some posts from Thanny back when S.I.L.V.E.R. got revealed.

Make out of that what you want :stuck_out_tongue:

Scintilla is also based on a real word. Scintillation is a word meaning a flash or sparkle of light. Sirocco is a real word as well, meaning hot wind.

He also mentioned that you’d need a hint from ryv

@Ryvirath Any hints?