DeathsAdvocate’s Master Thread: Trials of Mythron

It certainly can work, and its been awhile since I tried. I fear it will have similar issues to Xor decks of just being to slow. However it just may have the tools it needs to be a good deck again, the meta is a bit slow, you can pack enough healing to deal with burn/aggro, enough control to have an answer to anything, and HOPEFULLY Variax can compete with the recent lategame monsters of Wanderer, Finality, Titan, and Stratageos.

One big thing is you will notice I am not including anything beyond six mana in the deck, even going for bender over EMP, because you always want to be able to play and BBS. Course EMP is strong enough to never be a bad pick either, but IDK if it fits here.

Your list is on the rigtht track but its a bit messy with a lot of 2ofs and not enough two drops. But something like this could really have some potential:

http://www.bagoum.com/deckbuilder#MTozMDEsMzoyMDA1OSwzOjIwMjcyLDM6MTEwODQsMzoyMDA0OSwzOjM2MywzOjEwOTgxLDM6MjAwNTcsMzozNDEsMzoxMDMwNiwzOjExMTE1LDM6MzAwMzksMzoyMDIyNywzOjMzMw==

Thanks for polishing the concept. Do you feel that desolators lose some of their usual value in a list like this? The part of their opening gambit where they deal two damage might as well not exist for this deck, since it’s win with Variax or lose. For a similar reason, what about emerald rejuvenators? The healing they give to the opponent is largely a nonissue here, and a 4/4 for four who heals your general for four sounds like an amazing deal on paper.

Also, what would come out to cram spheres of darkness in for Unlimited? The gibbets?

Desolators are still just to good, and will usualy result in more healing over a long game then anything else. Plus the artifact ping/card advantage is important. This is not like Doom or something where damage does not matter, especially considering Variax is not the lategame monster it once was as there is a lot of other scary stuff now. Plus winning off of chakram and mid game is certainly possible.

As for rejuv this is definitely the type of deck he can really excel in. But that’s a bit of a meta call, I think there’s is currently enough healing to play the sustain game, but if the meta moved in more of a burn direction Rejuv could be perfect, but I do not currently see anything I would want to cut for it, but it’s certainly not a bad pick if you want to try and fit it.

As for Sphere inklin, Gibbet, or going to 2x on stuff are all options.

Done some testing. Stands up well to aggro, burn, vet, strat, most wanderer…but it sort of rolls over and dies to Reva in general as heartseekers, particularly wander variants, are just rough on us. And I suspect Vaath and titan would be similarly brutal.

Trying out a maev Version:

http://www.bagoum.com/deckbuilder#MTozNTUsMzoyMDA1OSwzOjExMDg0LDM6MTkwNTAsMzoyMDA0OSwzOjM2MywzOjEwOTgxLDM6MTAwMTYsMzoxMDk4MiwzOjM0MSwzOjExMTE1LDM6MTEwMzAsMzoxMTA5MywzOjMzMw==

Bleh, maev version just isnt good.

Just lost to this a while ago, gg! Been a while since I encountered a Variax list, and I vastly underestimated Gibbet and Chakram. Lightbender was also a surprise that I didn’t plan for. Keep up the great work!

How does the Variax end game fare against the recent Destinies? I have a feeling that Underlord Xor’Xuul beats Variax, Wanderer can possibly be dealt with, but no idea about the others. What do you think?

I think DFS + Variax on 6 mana is the only way for Variax to work currently

Its possible to make Variax work without DFS in gold at least. Was playing around with it near the end of last season. The trouble is the ability to survive and heal through the midgame which pre-nerf Kalaino use to do quite well. But now the only real option is Munch for acting as a heal and removal, which often doesn’t do the same amount of work that Kalaino did. With the lack of good creep generators, also makes it hard to pull off.

It’s decent, but there is some real tough competition. Early darkfires are key.

I tried it in my lilithe wanderer list, but found running it was much too slow. The tempo loss is too much imo for an effect that doesnt happen or affect board in any way immediately, and dfs is really best as a one of in wanderer and is always used FOR wanderer.

So while I think variax is usable in stronger control decks, but it loses easily to combo and aggro, and most all late oriented decks are have strong finishers that come out and finish from the gate.
If the meta slows down or combo becomes less viable (there are various ways this can happen) then I see variax being a powerful possible niche, especially with shadow creeps loss of a reliable finisher in ghost azalea and obliterate.

Yep Variax has never been bad, it’s just that all meta decks have wincons that (almost) always come out way earlier than an on-curve Variax and bbs next turn. We’ll see how it turns out when the meta shifts.

Thing is even though stuff like oblit was awesome and comes down as late if not later than v is because they always had immediate effect.

An example of why galaxy dueler will always be sad

@deathsadvocate will there be a zir’an tab coming any time in the future?

If it happens it won’t be for sometime. I have just never really liked her and often find I can just take a Deck I would play with her and perform better with one of the other generals.

That is not to say she is not good, I have seen her do some terrifying things, but it’s just an archtype I’ve never quite wrapped my head around. Ziran healnar is just so different then any other deck. I’d recommend chatting with Pow or Kieran for advice on it.

My priorities for deck building: Everything else > Vet > Lyonar > Wanderer > Songhai/Unlimted/Ziran