Days of Duelyst Past Community Voting

Welcome, Duelysts, to Days of Duelyst Past part 2: Community Voting.

The top five entries will be posted here and you will have a single vote to cast towards your favorite entry :smiley:

This portion of the contest will run from 12:00 EST 08/26/2016- 12:00 EST 08/30/2016

Prizing:
1st - 10 Shimzar Orbs
2nd - 5 Shimzar Orbs
2 random entries - 1 Shimzar Orb

It was a blast to read all your entries, everyone has some really amazing stories from their Duelyst pasts, thank you all a ton for participating and good luck to our final entries. The random orb winners will be announced at the end of this portion of the contest.

1.Lyvern

"This is from a tournament, from ages past. As always, I’m playing Magmar, in this game, a control variant. This was back before a lot of changes, so Vindicator still gave rush, Meta was 5 mana, Plasma was 4, and so on. So far back that replays weren’t in the game, and I was streaming my own tournament matches.

Match one was a good game, a proper fight against my abyssian opponent. Match two, I have a dominating lead. Everything is going great. I have lethal lined up, and it’s a perfect, easy win. I flash in Vindicator, click on my elder from my hand, and… Place it in the wrong spot! “Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck,” I say, on stream, immediately noticing my failure.

My opponent takes this opportunity to punish me, Tracering away to another corner. He proceeds to make a full comeback, winning the game, and then taking the next in the bo3 for his second win, knocking me out.

Yomamafied still makes fun of me about it to this day."

2.Qeltar

This will be a bit different because it’s not about a specific game. It’s about my overall experience here and the community. If that’s not what I was supposed to post, well, I guess I won’t win any orbs. But it is what came to mind.

I’ve been around Duelyst for about a month. I was looking for a new option after a bad experience in another game I won’t mention.

I started playing this game having almost no experience in CCGs, I had started the Well Known Game That Shall Remain Unmentioned just 4 days before that. I heard about this game in the subreddit for That Game, downloaded it, and fell in love with it immediately.

On the main Duelyst site I found a link to the Discord chat. I went to it and was immediately astonished. There were something like 700 people logged in! I watched the banter. I went to #new_player and asked questions. Everyone was so friendly. Veterans took time to help me with one dumb question after another.

Then I noticed the red names. The previous game I played, getting a developer to answer a question required an Act of God. Here there were always 5-10 developers online, many interacting directly with players, answering questions.

The first time I did Gauntlet I had no idea what I was doing. One of the best players in the game – a name you would recognize – messaged me and said “Hey, why don’t you share your screen with me, I will walk you through it”. He took an hour and a half out of his day just to show me how to do Gauntlet, without my even asking. I was floored.

I found these forums when they opened, and they too were a breath of fresh air. Virtually no arguing or acrimony. Lots of positive vibes and help. Even to the extent of people posting tournament-winning decks. Amazing stuff.

My newbie status also extended to streaming. I had never used Twitch, didn’t know anything about streaming, nothing. Despite this, on my 3rd day of playing, I decided to start a stream, encouraged by a positive email I got after contacting Counterplay on their streamer email. This has been such an amazing experience as well – I’ve met so many fun people and found something I enjoy probably as much as the game itself. While my stream is still tiny, I already have a few people who join me almost every night, forming a growing “subcommunity” that I have come to really appreciate.

Anyway, this probably sounds like a big suck-up post, but it’s not. I’ve been a gamer since before most of you reading this were born – I mean, I literally go back to Pong on black-and-white TVs. And I knew within a few days that Duelyst and Counterplay really had something special here. I hope it continues to evolve and grow and get better, but no matter what happens., those early memories will stick with me always.

3.Vim

Gather 'round the deathfire, and let me tell you a harrowing tale of darkness, monsters, and garbage. Stuffed with so much luck and stupidity that this game could’ve been successfully simplified to a coin flip, and crampacked with horror and agony with each turn! Grab some snacks and huddle close, hellspawn, as I tell you the thrilling adventure of Last Afternoon: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Paddo.

It was standard protocol for the midday in Shar; kill some lizards, die a few times; the routine was wearing down on me as a 400-year-old child of destruction. Heading back to my magnificent and morbid abode I was met by a peddler of sorts, touting that his powders and salves invigorate mind and body alike. Tired of conventional extravagance, I took his entire stock and left his writhing corpse on the wayside, a testament to my vicious nature and empty wallet.

I was no beacon of moderation, and I began to consume all the assorted “medicine” inside my unwatered bathtub. Lucid and stoic, I rose out from the bathroom, and felt an overwhelming, unusual happiness pervade through my whole being. Joy turned to confusion and anger, however, as I saw my double laugh menacingly in the middle of my garden. For the first time, I faced an internal conflict with sickle and censer. As I bravely retreated into the bedroom closet, I began to fashion a group of allies willing to rabble-rouse in the name of hallucinations. Where these creatures came from I have not yet discovered, but together we were destined to fight my inner demons and send the vermin back to double hell!

As my other self began barging through my balcony door, I began my perilous assault by summoning a fiercely loyal Jaxi, and subsequently killing him, a classic maneuver. It was not enough, however, as my plan was effectively stifled by my right brain summoning a melange of weak and pitiful monsters all over my kitchen tile and wracking my body with pain! Seeing how I just dusted the countertops not two days ago, I erupted in unholy fury and began to kill and convert her precious minions. Taken aback, she stumbled down into my garage, formulating my demise. Quivering with unrighteous fervor, I exerted by 2/3 full power into summoning a screaming fast warrior with a sexy passion for the number 6. Happy to do anything other than maintenance work, he shambled up my driveway until he felt an unnatural fatigue as his affection for shrouds slowed him down.

Seething with frustration and madness, I began to paint my back lawn a brilliant shade of lavender, so bright and majestic that my twin writhed in agony, not used to any colors lighter than dark purple. With my reasoning stunted, I was actually surprised when my strategy worked. Seeing how we were connected, however, my double prepared her own brand of toxic paint, and threw a heaping gallon of maroon all over my only friend, killing him instantly. My feet backpedaled into the office as I began to recuperate, summoning all manner of healing to de-stress after she subsequently threw a second bucket of paint and made modern art of my favorite Reaper. What I didn’t expect, however, was a third can, hidden away in some realm unknown, and while I was relaxing in the den, checking up on some Shim’zar updates, reverie turned to misery as I saw my couch turn crimson, completely throwing off the feng shui of the entire room. The nerve of me!

Flagellating myself over this stylistic abomination, my mind lay on the verge of collapse, my only solace being that Sharian Law dictates a maximum of three gallons of paint per person. Lurching myself down into the basement, I called upon more healers to feed me ice cream and renew my sanity. Cass 2.0 trembled ever closer, opening my porch door. Soon, she would be upon me. In my feeble desperation, I flung another coat of lavender paint on the exterior wall, but still she moved closer with blinding standard movement. With all options exhausted, I began to pray and kneel to the old gods for assistance, and in my solemn reverence Pandora corporealized all over my 44" TV. As gracious as I was, her crusade proved unstoppable, summoning some of her dirtbag traitorous sisters as a last attempt to shatter my fragile soul. Cornered and broken, in one final attempt to appease the old gods, I called to the heavens to end my torment.

And behold! From the miasmatic skies the clouds did break, as Paddo, in his infinite glory, shoved aside sister New Gods One and Twenty and fell unto my home, causing considerable irreparable structural damage and shoving my hallucination straight into the laundry room. As she shrieked at the lilac painted walls, I rejoiced in my wisdom to splatter bleach all over my dark purple wallpaper. Merciless slaughter of my immediate family filled my heart with dark glee and excitement, as it was taboo to kill your sisters this time of year. Tide turning, my friends and I began to slowly destroy her. After a while, a lesser goddess, known as the Grailmaster, unceremoniously found herself flung into the red paint after she did absolutely nothing like the sack of crap she is.

In the end, myself and I danced the minuet of war all around my house for a few hours. It was my true self reigning over my worse self, it seemed, as she died the slow death that all nemeses eventually do. My inner demons were ground to dust.

Coming to, I found myself lying dazed, broken, smiling, in my bathtub, the last surviving furniture in my smouldering crater of a house, mechanical footsteps abounding on what was my kitchen floor. With a bow and a thanks, I converted to the god of chaos. Paddo lay on his golden, misshapen throne, and in discrete whispers, I could almost feel him rouse a craving I lost hours ago. Just outside, a peddler was searching for customers, selling his exotic powders and salves…
Gather 'round the deathfire, and let me tell you a harrowing tale of darkness, monsters, and garbage. Stuffed with so much luck and stupidity that this game could’ve been successfully simplified to a coin flip, and crampacked with horror and agony with each turn! Grab some snacks and huddle close, hellspawn, as I tell you the thrilling adventure of Last Afternoon: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Paddo.

It was standard protocol for the midday in Shar; kill some lizards, die a few times; the routine was wearing down on me as a 400-year-old child of destruction. Heading back to my magnificent and morbid abode I was met by a peddler of sorts, touting that his powders and salves invigorate mind and body alike. Tired of conventional extravagance, I took his entire stock and left his writhing corpse on the wayside, a testament to my vicious nature and empty wallet.

I was no beacon of moderation, and I began to consume all the assorted “medicine” inside my unwatered bathtub. Lucid and stoic, I rose out from the bathroom, and felt an overwhelming, unusual happiness pervade through my whole being. Joy turned to confusion and anger, however, as I saw my double laugh menacingly in the middle of my garden. For the first time, I faced an internal conflict with sickle and censer. As I bravely retreated into the bedroom closet, I began to fashion a group of allies willing to rabble-rouse in the name of hallucinations. Where these creatures came from I have not yet discovered, but together we were destined to fight my inner demons and send the vermin back to double hell!

As my other self began barging through my balcony door, I began my perilous assault by summoning a fiercely loyal Jaxi, and subsequently killing him, a classic maneuver. It was not enough, however, as my plan was effectively stifled by my right brain summoning a melange of weak and pitiful monsters all over my kitchen tile and wracking my body with pain! Seeing how I just dusted the countertops not two days ago, I erupted in unholy fury and began to kill and convert her precious minions. Taken aback, she stumbled down into my garage, formulating my demise. Quivering with unrighteous fervor, I exerted by 2/3 full power into summoning a screaming fast warrior with a sexy passion for the number 6. Happy to do anything other than maintenance work, he shambled up my driveway until he felt an unnatural fatigue as his affection for shrouds slowed him down.

Seething with frustration and madness, I began to paint my back lawn a brilliant shade of lavender, so bright and majestic that my twin writhed in agony, not used to any colors lighter than dark purple. With my reasoning stunted, I was actually surprised when my strategy worked. Seeing how we were connected, however, my double prepared her own brand of toxic paint, and threw a heaping gallon of maroon all over my only friend, killing him instantly. My feet backpedaled into the office as I began to recuperate, summoning all manner of healing to de-stress after she subsequently threw a second bucket of paint and made modern art of my favorite Reaper. What I didn’t expect, however, was a third can, hidden away in some realm unknown, and while I was relaxing in the den, checking up on some Shim’zar updates, reverie turned to misery as I saw my couch turn crimson, completely throwing off the feng shui of the entire room. The nerve of me!

Flagellating myself over this stylistic abomination, my mind lay on the verge of collapse, my only solace being that Sharian Law dictates a maximum of three gallons of paint per person. Lurching myself down into the basement, I called upon more healers to feed me ice cream and renew my sanity. Cass 2.0 trembled ever closer, opening my porch door. Soon, she would be upon me. In my feeble desperation, I flung another coat of lavender paint on the exterior wall, but still she moved closer with blinding standard movement. With all options exhausted, I began to pray and kneel to the old gods for assistance, and in my solemn reverence Pandora corporealized all over my 44" TV. As gracious as I was, her crusade proved unstoppable, summoning some of her dirtbag traitorous sisters as a last attempt to shatter my fragile soul. Cornered and broken, in one final attempt to appease the old gods, I called to the heavens to end my torment.

And behold! From the miasmatic skies the clouds did break, as Paddo, in his infinite glory, shoved aside sister New Gods One and Twenty and fell unto my home, causing considerable irreparable structural damage and shoving my hallucination straight into the laundry room. As she shrieked at the lilac painted walls, I rejoiced in my wisdom to splatter bleach all over my dark purple wallpaper. Merciless slaughter of my immediate family filled my heart with dark glee and excitement, as it was taboo to kill your sisters this time of year. Tide turning, my friends and I began to slowly destroy her. After a while, a lesser goddess, known as the Grailmaster, unceremoniously found herself flung into the red paint after she did absolutely nothing like the sack of crap she is.

In the end, myself and I danced the minuet of war all around my house for a few hours. It was my true self reigning over my worse self, it seemed, as she died the slow death that all nemeses eventually do. My inner demons were ground to dust.

Coming to, I found myself lying dazed, broken, smiling, in my bathtub, the last surviving furniture in my smouldering crater of a house, mechanical footsteps abounding on what was my kitchen floor. With a bow and a thanks, I converted to the god of chaos. Paddo lay on his golden, misshapen throne, and in discrete whispers, I could almost feel him rouse a craving I lost hours ago. Just outside, a peddler was searching for customers, selling his exotic powders and salves…

4.Alexicon1

So this was when I was new to Duelyst, first season, laddering up through Bronze. I was one game away from Silver, which I was super hyped for because it was a mark of achievement so early in the game for me.

I was playing Lyonar, because I got told to play Lyonar by the tutorial, and frankly, I sucked. It was one of the longest games of my Duelyst career, reaching just over 30 minutes, which as we know, is freaking forever. I was down to 3 cards, my opponent was down to 1 in hand, 1 in deck. I was on 5 Health, my opponent was on 8 with a Silverguard Knight on the board for me, but in the corner thanks to my Abyssian opponent’s Daemonic Lure. At that point I had no clue what was in my deck because I had thrown in whatever Lyonar card I could get my hands on into it. I had a Saberspine in my hand, and a Blaze Hound, with one card in the deck. The Abyssian Void Pulsed and face hit, bringing me to 1 Health, putting him at 9. They drew the last card in their deck, and I spent the majority of my turn figuring out what to do. I had no idea what the last card was. So, I played my Saberspine, Roared it and hit General with it, bringing her down to 4. I played my Blaze Hound, drawing a FREAKING MAGNETIZE!!! My opponent had no cards, so took the 1 fatigue damage, putting them at 3. I Magnetized my Silverguard and smashed the General to win with 1 health remaining and get to Silver. One of the best games of my Duelyst career…ever. I then quit Lyonar and have played Abyssian and Magmar ever since.

5.Rayezilla
My best story has to be my promotion match from Gold to Diamond. I started playing 2 weeks ago so hitting diamond for the first time was a big deal.

It’s my midrange vaath magmar vs. lilith swarm abby. My first play of the game is Flash Reincarnation, Elucidator. Walk him onto the center orb and cast Amplification. 5/7 play. I’m expecting an answer right away, but incredibly she runs to the bottom right corner and plays Blistering Skorn. I advance and throw in a young Slithar to try boxing her in, kill the skorn with Elucidator.

Her next turn she HITS the 7/2 elucidator to kill it, and I’m on top of it like a vulture in the desert. the next few turns she draws into her removal and starts popping things as soon as they drop. I’m beating them up as well, but my hand is getting drained. My 6mana play rolls around, the board is clear, I have NOTHING except bounded life, flash reincarnation, and a young slithar. I play the young slithar, end turn, draw a primus. She drops the 6/6 that spawns 1/1s when it dies, hits me, vaath is now 4 attack 10 life, she’s got 15! Very dicey board at this point. But… She ignores my young slithar. It’s my seven mana play. I flash the primus in, young slithar is now a 4/3, then I bounded life with takes me from 4/15 to 12/10.

I swing for victory and a promotion![poll public=true]

• 1.Lyvern
  • 2.Qeltar
  • 3.Vim
  • 4.Alexicon1
  • 5.Rayezilla
    [/poll]

Not gonna lie, I really wanted to win this one. Lyverns is way too good tho, amazing read and you have some epic writing skills sir!

will the 2 random winners be part of this list or will those who didn’t make it to round 2 have a chance at winning?

All entries that do not win either 1st or 2nd are eligible for the random participation prizing.

Congratulations to our winners Qeltar and Lyvern and to our random prize winners Wraith908 and Heroesxpixels

All of your entries were amazing, I thoroughly enjoyed reading each and every one. Now Shimzar is upon us and we are going to have even more crazy stories to tell next time around :smiley:

Thanks everyone for participating and I hope you have a happy Shimzar