[Concept Thread]John Henry's Card Parlor and Emporium

Welcome to John Henry’s Card Parlor and Emporium, where each week we have brand new card concepts for each faction including the neutral category. So kick back in one of our plush reclining chairs and browse our ever-expanding inventory to your heart’s content!

[Disclaimer: Everything you see here is tentative and subject to change at any point and time.]

[Details=Lyonar]

[Details=Sunforge Lieutenant(Rare)]
Added: 10/16/2016
Faction: Lyonar Kingdoms
Type: Minion
3 mana 1/5
This minion activates any nearby Zeal abilities as though it were your General.
[/Details]

[Details=Steadfast Paladin(Epic)]
Added: 10/23/2016
4 mana 3/5
If this attacks this turn, give it Celerity.
If it doesn’t, give it Forcefield.
[/Details]

[Details=Flourescent Golem(Common)]
Added: 10/30/16
Type: Minion, Golem
6 mana 4/6
Enemy minions damaged by this are Stunned.
[/Details]

[Details=Shinedust Mothling(Rare)]
Added: 11/6/2016
3 mana 2/3
Whenever this minion is healed, restore the same amount of regained health to nearby friendly minions.
[/Details]

[Details=Star Stag(Legendary)]
Added: 11/13/16
6 mana 5/5
At the end of your turn, deal 4 damage to a random space occupied by an enemy minion.
[/Details]
[/Details]

[Details=Songhai]

[Details=Patient Exile(Legendary)]
Faction: Songhai Empire
1 mana 5/5
Spell Immunity.
Cannot attack. Cannot Move.
After 3 turns, become active and lose Spell Immunity.
[/Details]

[Details=Mist Maiden(Common)]
2 mana 1/1
Give a nearby minion Backstab: (1).
[/Details]

[Details=Bladework Golem(Rare)]
3 mana 3/3
When attacking a Ranged enemy, gain Ranged.
When attacking an enemy with Provoke, gain Frenzy.
[/Details]

[Details=Masked Acrobat(Epic)]
4 mana 1/3
At the end of your turn, this minions disappears and leaves behind a 1/1 Exploding Mask with Dying Wish: Deal 2 damage to all nearby enemies.
At the start of your next turn, this minion re-appears on a random space.
[/Details]

[Details=Crimson Edge Disciple(Rare)]
2 mana 2/2
This minion’s attacks deal damage to enemies nearby the initial target.
[/Details]
[/Details]

[Details=Vetruvian]

[Details={REWORK OF THE WEEK}Entropic Decay(Basic)]
Faction: Vetruvian Imperium
Type: Spell
4 mana
Mark a nearby enemy minion. At the start of your opponent’s turn, destroy that minion.
[/Details]

[Details=Cartographer Aele(Epic)]
3 mana 2/4
Spaces this minion has moved over THIS TURN give +2/1 to all allies that stand on them.
[/Details]

[Details=Golem Paragon(Epic)]
4 mana 2/2
Opening Gambit: Summon two friendly random Golem minions destroyed this game nearby.
[/Details]

[Details=Fleeing Merchant(Common)]
Type: Minion, Dervish
5 mana 5/5
Opening gambit: Push a nearby enemy minion to a nearby space.
[/Details]

[Details=Neferius Mirror Image(Rare)]
6 mana 3/5
Provoke.
Reflect any dispels to the dealer(general spells that would dispel this, dispel the general).
[/Details]
[/Details]

[Details=Abyssian]

[Details=Blighted Zealot(Common)]
Faction: Abyssian Host
2 mana 3/2
Deathwatch: Attack a nearby friendly Wraithling and summon an Abyssian Crawler in its place.
[/Details]

[Details=Styxus Summoner(Legendary)]
7 mana 1/8
Opening Gambit: Transform all Wraithlings into 1/1 Styx Figures with Dying Wish: Give +1 Attack to Styxus Summoner.
[/Details]

[Details=Decaying Golem(Rare)]
5 mana 7/9
This minion can only move one space per turn.
[/Details]

[Details=Aspect of Fulfillment(Epic)]
6 mana 3/6
Whenever this minion deals damage, summon a 1/1 Lost Child with Frenzy.
[/Details]

[Details=Volatile Wyrm(Rare)]
Added: 11/13/2016
5 mana 4/3
Opening Gambit: Transform all your Wraithlings into Shadow Creep and your Shadow Creep into Wraithlings.
Dying Wish: Revert this minion’s transformations.
[/Details]
[/Details]

[Details=Magmar]

[Details=Silithar Firstborn(Rare)]
Faction: Magmar Aspects
4 mana 3/2
Rebirth
While in Egg form, gain +0/2 and Forcefield
[/Details]

[Details=Kiraken(Rare)]
5 mana 4/3
Enemies damaged by this minion continue to take 1 damage at the end of every turn.
[/Details]

[Details=Adamantite Golem(Common)]
4 mana 2/5
This minion has Attack scaling directly with your general.
[/Details]

[Details=Fathomfang Lamia(Legendary)]
2 mana 1/4
Grow: +2/1
This minion instantly kills friendly and enemy Eggs upon damaging them, causing it to grow.
[/Details]

[Details=Magma Crystal(Common)]
3 mana 3/3
Nearby eggs hatch instantly and gain +1/1.
[/Details]
[/Details]

[Details=Vanar]

[Details=Frigid Saboteur(Epic)]
Faction: Vanar Kindred
Type: Minion, Vespyr
5 mana 6/4
Infiltrate: Cannot be targeted(spells, attacks, etc.) unless nearby another unit.
[/Details]

[Details=Aurora Specter(Common)]
3 mana 0/4
Your Vespyr minions can move through enemies.
[/Details]

[Details=Slush Golem(Legendary)]
Type: Minion, Battle Pet
2 mana 2/4
When this minion survives damage, summon a 3/3 Snowman Golem nearby at the end of your turn.
[/Details]

[Details=Wailing Lake Matron(Rare)]
Type: Minion, Vespyr
7 mana 6/5
Opening Gambit: Remove Dispel from a nearby ally.
Dying Wish: Dispel a nearby ally.
[/Details]

[Details=Kindred Exile]
4 mana 1/3
Opening Gambit: Give a nearby minion the “Vespyr” typing.
[/Details]
[/Details]

[Details=Neutral]

[Details=Ice Nomad(Common)]
Faction: Neutral
3 mana 3/2
Opening Gambit: Set up a 0/3 Campfire(structure) with “At the start of your turn, restore 1 health to all nearby friendly minions” nearby
[/Details]

[Details=Rabid Mongreel(Rare)]
Type: Minion, Battle Pet
5 mana 4/4
Airdrop.
This minion attacks both allies and enemies.
[/Details]

[Details=Golem Hunter(Epic)]
7 mana 4/4
Opening Gambit: Deal 7 damage to a nearby minion.
[/Details]

[Details=Dyemund(Rare)]
Type: Minion, Arcanyst
3 mana 2/4
Whenever you cast a spell, give all non-token minions +2/2.
[/Details]

[Details=Lawless Marauder(Common)]
8 mana 2/7
Whenever this minion kills a minion, steal that minion’s attack stat for itself.
[/Details]
[/Details]

I’m aware these may be too strong or too weak, just lemme know in the comments what you think as this is my first time trying concepts for Duelyst. If there is anything you feel needs to be changed, just say so alongside the reason why you feel that way and I’ll be sure to consider making the change :slight_smile:

Right-o.

Sunforge Lieutenant, interesting ability, not to dissimilar to a previous card design contest entry.
The rush is inappropriate though.

Wasted Pupil, I just really do not like this, where to begin… It’s just the ultimate runaway + buff Reva’s heartseekers. Also don’t like the name.

Entropic Decay rework: No, I get the delayed effect, but like this all they have to do is step away for 1 turn while Entropic Decay would also be lost for the faction. Better make it a new card and then lower its mana to 1.

Blighted Zealot, ehhhh I guess interesting. he can do it only twice, you can put the wraithlings out of range if you don’t want him to die… he turns 2 wraithlings into 2/1’s which put down creep and sacrifices himself, and you need other stuff to die in order to do it.
Yes, I like this one.

Rough Rider doesn’t make sense, this is Vanar stuff. It’s also again rush. Maybe give it rebirth instead or so. I don’t really like it in any case.

Frigid Saboteur, I would make it ‘unless nearby an enemy unit’. It’s kinda interesting, maybe make it a Vespyr to buff it a little.

Local Hobo, I like it, except the name, just call it Ice Nomad or so. It’s cool.

Sunforge Lieutenant - Rush doesn’t really fit Lyonar. They’re all about ‘slow and steady’, building up value over time. The other effect is good though.

Wasted Pupil - The idea for ‘minion becoming general’ is already taken by another legendary. Plus, doesn’t fit Songhai’s theme.

(Rework) Entropic Decay - Absolutely no need for this. It’s hard removal at a decent mana cost and requires your general to be right next to the target. That’s fair.

Blighted Zealot - Kind of… weird. It’s like you’re trying to combine Swarm and Shadow Creep. It’s not bad, it’s just kind of strange.

Rough Rider - Yeah… no. 4 mana 3/6 is a good, if not great, stat distribution already. Then you give it Rush. THEN you give it one of the stickiest minions ever as a Dying Wish? To put it like this, 4/6 is the vanilla standard for 4 mana. This completely blows everything else out of the water.

Frigid Saboteur - Really not sure how to take it. ‘Can’t be targeted’, is pretty strong. But if something is next to it to attack it, it can be attacked anyway. Pretty interesting though.

Local Hobo - There HAS to be a better name for this. That being said, the minion itself isn’t bad.

Hey hey! Thanks both of you for the feedback! Means a lot!

Will remove rush from Sunforge Lieutenant, and will do a bit more research on past card design contest entries :open_mouth: was not aware it was similar to a previous entrant.

I completely understand the concerns with Wasted Pupil. Will do what I can :wink:

I should reword the Entropic Decay rework. Basically, the enemy minion marked by the spell is GUARANTEED to die at the start of the enemies next turn, regardless of where they move.

Rough Rider is a flop as well, got it :slight_smile: will swap it out for what it was meant to be previously(yay Rebirth).

I have no probs making Frigid Saboteur Vespyr at all! Glad it’s not the biggest problem here x3

Local Hobo is a name I didn’t like either, but my brain was stuck on Hobo and Homeless for some reason @_@. Will go with Ice Nomad, thanks for the suggestion, Aeru!

Such blasphemy, you deserve to be Spiral Technique’d .

On topic, ALL OF THEM, aside from the Neutral one and Vanar one, do not fit their faction’s theme.

I got a new name for the “Local Hobo”, despite you having a new idea, the " Wasteland Medic "

EDIT I didn’t notice the campfire, my bad XD

Whoops, got those mixed up, thanks for that :<

Mind running those themes by me for future reference, or posting a link where each is stated? I’ve only got the gist of what each faction’s thematic is supposed to be ;-;

Local Hobo has already been renamed.

IN OTHER NEWS,

-Rush removed from Sunforge Lieutenant
-Wasted Pupil now Patient Exile
-Entropic Decay reworded
-Rough Rider now Silithar Titan
-Local Hobo now named Ice Nomad

Really hesitant about Patient Exile. Lemme know what’s wrong with this one @_@

Cool, let’s see.

Sunforge Lieutenant, seems fine to me.

Patient Exile, is kinda fun, but some questions: can it retaliate? When it becomes active I assume it can attack and move? But it keeps Spell Immunity (kinda fine, that’s also a downside for Songhai) I guess?
I think overall the mana cost is a tad too low, just make it cost 1. It’s a weird card… I’d need to play with it. If it can retaliate it’s like rok and then suddenly comes alive. I think I’d make it 1 mana and then see. Part of the weirdness is that it doesn’t seem to fit in the whole Songhai faction, but it’s not too unfitting either. It’s a bit anti-combo, but could be a different kind of backup for Songhai. I dunno. Interesting.

Entropic: ok, so it’s now nerfed. To be honest I agree with narasimha (whose entry I think it was with the zeal tiles) that Entropic doesn’t need nerfing for the same reason.

Silithar Titan: I like it. It’s a bit much for 4 mana though. As a Meggmar player myself, you want those rebirth minions to die at times, especially one with such a powerful egg. Making it 3/2 would feel better for 4 mana, too high stats otherwise. Namewise, I feel like it’s not so much a Titan (and we already have a Leviathan) but it’s rather the epitomy of rebirth and magmar survival. Maybe a name that fits it’s indestructibility. Silithar Firstborn? With the lore that the very first Silithars, before they evolved, had such incredibly strong rebirth. Or something like that…

Frigid Saboteur: Is it really intended to lose its protection when next to your own units? I still think it could be a Vespyr. I mean, Thorn Needler is a 6/4 for 4 mana, and how often will no enemy unit be able to stand next to it? I mean it itself needs to approach the enemy in order to do anything.

You do this every month? Kinda cool :slight_smile:

Just to jump in, Slithar Titan still doesn’t work. Though it’s easy to forget, Slithar Veteran does exist at the exact same mana cost. Slithar Titan would either be a 6 drop as it is, without the 'Egg has +2 health" part. Combined with Forcefield, that’s just unnecessary.

Progress is progress, little by little we shall correct these issues :slight_smile:

Patient Exile can still retaliate(Not sure if the clarification in the OP is needed). Will up the cost by 1 as well. Might add something to the activation(lose spell immunity, perhaps?).

Hmmm, I understand where you’re coming from with Entropic Decay. If more people find issue with it I will definitely replace it :smiley: .

Will lower the stats of Silithar Titan and rename it. Magmar is a tough faction for me >.<

Frigid Saboteur works alone :spy:… I simply forgot to add Vespyr. Will do that now :+1:

Cool, I’d definitely play the Lyonar, Magmar and Neutral one.

Oh the saboteur cannot be targeted by attacks either? ok, interesting.

The rest doesn’t seem bad or really wrong or so.

I’ll give my order of ‘most want to play’ to least:

Silithar Firstborn
Sunforge Lieutenant
Ice Nomad
Blighted Zealot
Frigid Saboteur
Entropic Decay rework
Patient Exile

Can’t be targeted by attacks unless a unit is nearby them ;), so Ranged minions cannot hit them unless they are nearby.

WEEKLY UPDATE(Some updates were added today but I started the update on Sunday so don’t trip about dates)

-Steadfast Paladin added to Lyonar
-Mist Maiden added to Songhai
-Cartographer Aele added to Vetruvian
-Styxus Summoner added to Abyssian
-Kiraken added to Magmar
-Aurora Specter added to Vanar
-Rabid Mongreel added to Neutral

As always, numbers, names, and etc. are tentative, just lemme know in the comments what you guys think and if you see anything that’s broken/needs to be changed!

Bump for minor stat changes to Aurora Specter

WEEKLY UPDATE: GOLEM-OLUTION)

-Flourescent Golem added to Lyonar.
-Bladework Golem added to Songhai.
-Golem Paragon added to Vetruvian.
-Decaying Golem added to Abyssian.
-Adamantite Golem added to Magmar.
-Slush Golem added to Vanar.
-Golem Hunter added to Neutral.

So question with the Gilem Paragon, why does it exaughst all of my active golems? Like what’s the purpose of that opening gambit?

Flourescent Golem - For a utility ability like this, you want more health than attack. 4 Attack and 6 Health means it can survive more and stun more.

Bladework Golem - Not worth being a 3/1 for 3. This could easily be a 3/3 and be fair given its conditions.

Golem Paragon - Replace the Opening Gambit with the Dying Wish and remove the Dying Wish. This is a late game card, since you’re not going to have any half decent golems out by 4 mana, so it should have an impact.

Decaying Golem - Too overstated. Even with the movement reduction, immunity to damage spells and a 7/9 for 5 mana is crazy strong. It’s basically ‘hard removal or be fucked’.

Adamantite Golem - This feels like it should swap factions with Vetruvian. Magmar is more about life and rebirth (in general), while Vetruvian has THE artifact based general.

Slush Golem - Was going to complain, then saw it was a battle pet. 5 health is still too much for 2 mana with a summoning effect though. Just a 2/4 would be value enough.

Golem Hunter - It should be fine as a 7 mana 4/4. 7 damage to a nearby minion is enough of a limiter.

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread, first and foremost! I’ll be going through throughout the day and making the changes needed.

If it’s not too much to ask, would you mind going through and checking over last week’s entrants? Always good to have a second opinion to help pick out issues.

Ok. Late as hell, but I finally added last week’s update set. Whoo!

-Shinedust Mothling added to Lyonar
-Masked Acrobat added to Songhai
-Fleeing Merchant added to Vetruvian
-Aspect of Fulfillment added to Abyssian
-Fathomfang Lamia added to Magmar
-Wailing Lake Matron added to Vanar
-Dyemund added to Neutral

Dyemund is a 2/4 for 1 mana with a decent ability. That seems insanely powerful. For 1 mana, you get a minion with stats about equal to that of a three drop and an ability that is comparable to Spelljammer in that it rewards playing many small minions. At its current power level, it would be monsterously broken. I would argue that, even if it costed 3 mana, it would be decent.

I would make it 3 mana and give +2/+2 to everything.

Done.

Update)
I won’t be doing this week because holiday hijinks, but here’s last weeks late as hell!

-Star Stag added to Lyonar
-Crimson Edge Disciple added to Songhai
-Neferius added to Vetruvian
-Volatile Wyrm added to Abyssian
-Magma Crystal added to Magmar
-Kindred Exile added to Vanar
-Lawless Marauder added to Neutral

There are a LOT of issues with this bunch. Will be going over each of them after I get some other stuff out the way. Please keep in mind that everything you see on the OP is subject to change and that your opinion truly does matter here.