Looks like I should read more carefully.
I like how Songhai spells just I’m sorry for this pun spell “boring” to the forum as it seems. This poll only serves as more proof.
Here’s another decklist. This one is also pretty stacked with legendaries, and this time it happened naturally with no draft manipulation - in fact, I could’ve had up to 6 legends if I hadn’t passed on a Futureshaker and a Fatesealer due to curve considerations. It’s a nice change of place after having several drafts in a row with only 1 legendary (and it also includes my first Dancing Blades in over 5 drafts). I haven’t been doing justice to the list with some pretty poor play, but I’m still currently sitting at 7-2, carried by the sheer power on the top end.
- Auroara has been passable but not great - it’s fine as a 4-mana 3/5 together with the Crestfallen token, but it’s hard to grow it very quickly, and I find I’m often looking for the more immediate impact of my other 3-drops.
- On the other hand, I wasn’t expecting too much from Lux Ignis, but it’s been pretty good for me with all the high-toughness minions.
- Magnetize is a lot of fun. It’s a card I’ve been experimenting with on ladder, and it has a surprising amount of utility. It feels completely outside of the Lyonar faction identity, but because of that no one ever sees it coming.
- The combo of Crestfallen + Afterblaze feels great, and is another thing I’m going to try out more on ladder. Primus Shieldmaster is already on the cusp of constructed-playable, so a (somewhat conditional) version that doesn’t cost a card has to be good enough in some shell, right?
I had flashbacks appearing outta nowhere when reading this one.
Auroara is always one of my low-priority picks in Gauntlet just because you can’t rack up their damage fast without a dedicated deck.
It’s a Ranged unit with 5 Health. Whatever all its other stats and features are that’s what matters.
If you can get lots of Magnetizes you can just rely on your General to position your troops. Also counters Repulsor and Demonic Lure! It’s been a very good spell in my Lyonar drafts.
Overall your top end is extremely pressuring. You have Dawn’s Eye. You have Aperion’s Claim. Stormblade. Silhouette Tracer to infiltrate. And no one plays around Dust Wailer. This is very solid compared to most of my drafts.
I MISSED IT. AGAIN.
Essence Sculpt won for best design!
This week we have the four basic cost-1 minions in the whole of Duelyst pitting off against each other in a battle of…
…attractiveness. Yes, of course! If it was a show of power Bloodtear Alchemist would’ve won the bracket without breaking a sweat!
Vote for the most appealing sprite and animation!
- Bloodtear Alchemist
- Komodo Charger
- Planar Scout
Does anyone know the “rules” of Gauntlet drafting? I was thinking about slapping together a rudimentary Gauntlet draft simulator, but I have no real knowledge of the percentages at which different cards appear. @t2k5 used to have Gauntlet stats tracked, which would be helpful, but it appears the tracker is broken and has never been updated to take into account the last three expansions.
Just based on personal observation, I believe that:
- Obviously higher rarity cards are less likely to appear.
- However, you are guaranteed certain minimums for each rarity slot: at least one legendary, two epics, and a handful (5+?) of rares.
- Faction cards appear somewhat more often than neutrals (to balance out the larger neutral card pool).
- Maybe some other sets of cards are also weighted to appear more often: Core set, spells, artifacts?
Beyond that I don’t know.
Thread is immortal now
The gods have smiled upon my thread! Rejoice, my fellow Gauntlet fanatics!
@discobot roll 1d2
Dragonlark and Planar Scout tied with 4 votes each! This is the first draw in my list of polls! Discobot, who can’t take both for an answer, decided by themselves that Dragonlark was the better out of the two.
This will be the start of a series of polls unrelated to the cards’ power level. This week will be a battle of gimmicks! Which card would you feel the most proud/hilarious/satisfying to successfully issue the kill or pull off their strat in Gauntlet?
- Scarzig, le Chibi Spawn of Death
- Evolutionary Apex, Screwer of Plans
- Death by Shadow Creep, Ultimate Humiliation
- Spiral Technique, Rage Inducer
- Betrayal, Betrayal… Just Betrayal.
- Death by Riftwalker, Outta Nowhere™
- Grandmaster Zendo. Need I explain?
- Bounded Lifeforce, Divine Bonding Your General
- Khanuum-ka, Bye-bye Vaath
I’m convinced that Khanuum-ka is responsible for 99% of all rage quits.
The tracker is “fine”. What changed was how the data is parsed on CPG/BNs server side. It’s not that he didnt update it, its that they changed their server settings for bizarre reasons that killed loads of stat trackers at the time.
As a add on to the above, Ka is fairly low on my list of cards i’d consider very good in the format in the first place.
That’s unfortunate. The reason I thought the gauntlet tracker hadn’t been updated is that the statistics widget won’t even load, and in the underlying html source, the “Card Sets” list variable only goes up to Ancient Bonds. By contrast, the orbs tracker is still perfectly functional, goes all the way up to Trials of Mythron, and provides more than enough information to estimate each card’s appearance rate, which is all I’m really looking for (although I’d certainly buy the fact that it hasn’t collected any new data in a while).
I guess in the absence of third-party tools, I can always try asking for Word of God: anyone from CPG, can you offer any insight on the technical details behind Gauntlet drafting (in particular, the appearance rate for different sets/categories of cards)?
I still use the orb tracker script, so my orbs should be counted
Scarzig seems very popular huh…
This week we have another battle of design, this time between the Mech faction rares! Vote for your favourite mechanic/design!
- Echo Deliverant
- Silica Weaver
- Dusk Rigger
- Nightmare Operant
I had been getting stuck on 7 wins for a few drafts in a row, but I broke through recently with this nice Kara list (12-2).
I would’ve liked a little more hard removal, another heal, and a slightly lower curve, but you can’t argue with results. It felt good having strong card quality at every point on the mana curve (with either solid stats or powerful Opening Gambits), with the only real duds at 3 in Toth and Mantella. Thoughts on individual cards: Jax may be the best Legendary for Kara, and him plus BBS was always gamewinning. Sometimes he ate a sweeper, but I was always left with something behind, and of course if enough of him survived then 6+ ranged power closes out a game swiftly. Meanwhile, Eyolith was not as impressive as I had hoped it would be - it’s a lot better with Faie, who can take better advantage of the Snowstorm effect to just run away and Warbird the enemy down.
Echo Deliverant won the competition, probably because they have all the memes to supply the masses.
This week will be a battle of aesthetics! It will be between some of the more fancy Structures available:
- Gate to the Undervault
- Simulacra Obelysk
- Trygon Obelysk
- Bloodfire Totem