A Duelyst's Guide to Lizard-People

You guys might’ve seen my guide around elsewhere, but I wanted to host it somewhere besides google docs, where it’d get a lot of traffic. With the official forums returning, I thought it was the best place to put it. So, here it is!

A Duelyst’s Guide to Lizard-People

1.0 - Table of Contents

2.0 - Introduction

3.0 - Beginner’s Decks

3.1 - Beginner’s Resources

3.2 - Magmar’s Strengths

3.3 - Decklists

3.4 - Why These Cards?

3.5 - How To Play

3.6 - When/What to Replace

4.0 - Generals and Bloodborn Spells

5.0 - Crafting Priority

6.0 - Matchups

7.0 - Upgrading your Magmar Lists

7.1 - Crafting Guide

7.2 - Midrange

7.3 - Control

7.4 - Aggro

7.5 - Combo

8.0 Changelog

2.0 - Introduction

So, hi there! My name is Lyvern. You may have seen me on the forums, offering deck advice, or on the recent managlow site.

I wanted to give an introduction for myself and explain what this guide is for. Magmar is currently lacking a good, cohesive guide for beginners and new players, and making one is my goal.

I want to help players understand why some cards are bad, why some are good, and to give players realistic expectations for this faction.

As covered in the ToC, I’ll be going over several key points- First, beginner’s lists, tips, and resources, a crafting guide, and finally, how to build your budget list into a full one.

Now, for my introduction. I have been playing Duelyst for over a year, and have mained Magmar from the start. While I have dabbled in other factions, none has nearly as many games played as Magmar.

I play in every tournament I can, and I’ve won one, and placed top 8 in several. I’m also a teacher for Louvain’s Training Center and help new players learn more about the game. I love helping people out, and want to see more people win with a 30 damage Twin Fang!

3.0 - Beginner’s Decks

3.1 - Beginner’s Resources

Now, there are several different things a brand new player should take advantage of.

First of, the community. Unlike other online games like HS, LoL, CSGO, and so forth, the community in Duelyst is one of the nicest I’ve seen. There’s very little BMing, people adding you to rage is extremely rare, and generally everyone is a good sport. If you want to ask someone questions about their deck, they usually don’t mind answering.

Second, Ash’s Duelyst Training Center. I mentioned this earlier in the Intro, but essentially, we learn a little bit about you, the new player, and pair you with a Teacher who we believe would best be able to help you learn. This can cover many things, from deckbuilding to strategy, placement, and more, at all levels of play.

Third, the Discord chat. This chat is the best way to get in contact with the community and Devs, and a fantastic place for new players to receive help from tournament winners and experienced players.

3.2 - Magmar’s Strengths

Magmar is a faction that’s okay at several different things. You can play aggro, control, late game, midrange, and so on… Some are a little more useful than others, however, pertaining to magmar.
Magmar seems to be on the rise again with the last balance patch, and is performing decently on ladder and in tournaments. Most types of Magmar are performing well once more, and are all performing well. There will be more in depth reviews later on.

The Magmar faction is very minion centric. We have a lot of spells that affect minions, and we have strong, sticky minions. Young Silithar and Veteran Silithar are both very great. Silithar Elder has been seen (multiple times) as one of the most annoying to deal with legendaries.

Magmar won’t be used as a spell deck, but it can certainly dominate in creature centric ones. Spells like Diretide Frenzy, Greater Fortitude, Metamorphosis, and more allow us to force trades in our favor, clear the board, and buff up our minions so it’s even harder to kill them.

3.3 - Decklists

Please be aware that this guide assumes you know most basic abilities and keywords, and that you understand the basics of deckbuilding (Proper mana curve, etc.)

• 2850 Spirit

A very bare-bones list, this will still perform well on the ladder. It has a good early and mid game presence, as well as decent removal to help secure the game. With it’s playstyle, you’re going to be learning fundamental plays in the Magmar toolset. If you’re struggling with spirit, you can cut the Makantor Warbeasts, but this is not advised. You do have a few options on how you can replace the warbeasts:

Adamantite Claws: While not the best card, it’s a solid include for budget lists and can help your general kill problem minions. Since it’s basic, it costs nothing to craft.

Natural Selection: A decent removal spell at most parts of the game, although some people dislike adding it with Rebirth minions.

Bloodtear Alchemist: A Neutral Basic. It has low stats, but the 1 damage ping from it can prove useful.

Primus Shieldmaster: Ever since it’s buff to 3/6, Primus Shieldmaster has been a great include for many decks, providing a solid provoke minion for cheap from the Neutral card selection.

3.4 - Why These Cards?

Here, I’m going to go over some of the key cards that will help you the most in your games, and why they’re strong. Let’s start with the most obvious one…

Makantor Warbeast: The only Epic in the budget deck, this is one of the most powerful cards that Magmar currently has. A Rush 4/4 with Frenzy is amazing at clearing your enemy’s board and putting the game in your favor, or coming back from a bad board state.

Flash Reincarnation: Once a staple, this card has decreased in usefulness ever since the draw change. Playing things early is nice, but it’s far too easy to run out of hand with Flash. Be cautious when using this card. It is very useful for pairing with Taygete to create a 2 damage AOE and a 2 cost 3/3.

Veteran Silithar: A sticky minion, again with great value for it’s cost. If the enemy isn’t able to clear both the minion and the egg, you get a 4/5 back.

Saberspine Tiger: A minion that’s great for getting rid of the ample one-drops in our current meta (Aethermaster is on the rise, mini-jax, Araki, Vale Hunter, ETC.). Additionally, a cheaper Warbeast when used with Diretide.

Diretide Frenzy: Frenzy is so good that you want to get as much of it as possible. If you can hit even one more minion/general, it’s still useful as it effectively doubles, triples, and so on, the damage your minions put out.

3.5 - How to Play

Now, while higher end decks can require some finagling and planning, budget and aggro Magmar lists are fairly simple to play. This is part of the reason why they’re one of the best factions to start with when compared to, say, Songhai or Vetruvian, which can both be quite complicated or require excessive setup or card management.

I’ll cover replaces a bit more in the next step of the guide (Which are very important), so, for now, I’ll focus on what to do in the game. Ideally, you’ll open with at least one two-drop (two if you’re going second). With your sticky minions, you should try to build up your board and force your opponent to waste removal on your early drops, so your late game minions are harder to deal with. With the draw change, it’s also acceptable to play a single 3 drop early, so you don’t run out of cards as quickly.

In Midrange, only hit their general with yours if you’re ahead on health. You want to push them lower while maintaining your advantage. Use Primus Fist early on to buff your Young Silithar or Healing Mystic to 4 attack to trade with your opponent’s 2 drops, while yours still live. Diretide is also great for this. You want to claim board control early, and never let up, playing a new threat each turn- if possible.

Of course, if your starting hand isn’t great, and your opponent is starting to flood the board with minions, you may want to search for a tiger and diretide, or Warbeast. The more damage it does to your opponent’s minions, the better. You want to make sure that you’re killing as many of their minions as possible.

Elucidator can be an impressively scary early play. If you use mana crystals wisely, it can be played on turn 2 (on either side of the board) as a 7/6 rush, with greater fortitude. You take 4 damage from it, but you’re both dealing 7 to the enemy general, and leaving up a 7/4 that they must trade in their minions on. If they get hit by the Elucidator twice, so early, it’s pretty much game over. It also works well with Diretide, as a 6 atk frenzy. Always be on the lookout for great Makantor plays. If you can flash out a Warbeast and frenzy off of a 1 attack minion, I would do it- if your opponent has no other visible way to deal with the 4/1. You want them to punch it to death, for extra face damage.

Other than looking for opportune times to play your big minions, use your cards as needed- Dancing Blades their 3hp minions when you can, or use it for a good trade. Mystic when you need health, and to pressure your opponent. These are simply examples, because there is so many different ways you can play each turn, it’s hard to try and cover them all.

3.6 - When/What to Replace

In general, you want to mulligan for two 2 drops on your opening turn, while leaving an option or two for late game. If you’re going first, and, for example, your starting hand is Dancing Blades, Flash Reincarnation, Healing Mystic, Warbeast, Greater Fort, you would replace Blades, and Fort. Flash Reincarnation is exceptionally powerful this early, and you already have a minion you can play, even if it’s not idea (like Young Silithar). Going second, it’s a bit trickier. You want that second minion, but an early flash is very strong, too.With these budget decks, they generally run less removal, but the same principle will apply. You want to keep one removal card in hand at all times if you can help it. These cards are Natural Selection, Egg Morph, Diretide Frenzy, Metamorphosis, Makantor Warbeast, and Dancing Blades. Now, while it’s okay to have two cards in hand that are both removal (Egg Morph and Diretide) it’s not good to have two of the same. Always replace a copy of a card, unless you can and want to play them on the same turn (2 Veteran Silithar, 2 Emerald Rejuvenator). As you get more and more cards, you’ll have the option for greedier plays.Archon Spellbinder is a 6 mana card. With Flash, it’s a 7/5 4 cost card. You can play it turn 2 if you have a minion on board when you’re going first, and your second turn even if you don’t have a minion on board when playing second. So, say you start out with a hand like Archon Spellbinder, Dancing Blades, Saberspine Tiger, Young Silithar. You’d generally want to mull all Spellbinder, Blades, and Tiger, but you can make the choice of keeping Archon in hopes that you get both a flash and a 2 drop. Obviously, this can turn out bad, which is why we call it greedy.

4.0 - Generals and Bloodborn Spells

So, with the recent patch, we were given Bloodborn spells. Each general (Main and alternate) now has a 1 cost spell they can cast every other turn, until 9 mana, where they can cast it each turn. The ones for Magmar are decent, and I’ll be going over the pros and cons of both here.

Vaath -

Vaath’s BBS is pretty straightforward. Increase your General’s attack by 1. It’s a permanent buff that persists throughout the game- however, it can be dispelled with Lightbender, Chromatic Cold, Ephemeral Shroud, and so on. It’s very useful in that, from the first cast, your general is able to trade into 3 health minions. This can greatly reduce the amount of trading you need to do. Your general can now handle almost all 2 drops, a large amount of 3 drops, and even some cards up to 4-5 mana cost. This can be huge. And, of course, your general keeps on growing in strength every other turn until dispelled, or game over. Vaath’s BBS is best using in games where you plan on trying to make the game last. Control and Midrange are it’s best fit. You would think it’d be better in aggro, but Starhorn’s ability edges it out, which I’ll be going over now.

Starhorn -

Starhorn’s ability is to draw both you, and your opponent, a card, similar to the effects of Blaze Hound and Spelljammer. It is possible to ‘mill’ your opponent with it, but to be honest, that’s not a valid strategy that’s going to be winning any games, as it currently stands.Starhorn’s BBS is the ONLY one that can actually help your opponent, so you need to be careful with how you use it. Generally, you want to use this ability in Aggro decks. You usually don’t care if your opponent is drawing cards, because you’re going to kill them quickly anyway.You want to use it when your mana allows (Never give up board control, though!), and to search for answers/threats.Now, there are some times you don’t want to cast it. As an example- It’s somewhat late game, at or just before 9 mana. You can now cast your ability every turn. You’ve got board advantage, and you’re moving in for the kill, and your opponent only has a couple cards in hand. Don’t use Starhorn’s BBS, because you could give them potential answers, and you’ve got lethal anyway.You can also try to preserve card advantage with it. If you have 3-4 cards in your hand, and your opponent is down to topdecking, it can also be a good idea to not cast the BBS.

5.0 - Crafting Priority

First of, I’m going to give a general list simply going down the line for when and what you should craft. After starting the game, opening up your packs, and DEing some, you should have a good chunk of spirit, and the ability to craft one of the decks above. So if you’ve already got 3 copies of the card listed, feel free to skip down the line, or if you know what type of deck you want to build, build cards specifically for that deck. It’s ranked from most important to least important. This list is just for crafting the Budget decks, lists including Legendaries will be posted in each archetype’s specific section. Spirit costs to craft 3 of the card will be shown in brackets next to the card name.

1. Makantor Warbeast [1050] - An absolutely essential craft for every Magmar deck. It is an Epic and might be hard to craft initially, but you will not be dissatisfied with it’s performance.

2. Earth Sister Taygete [0?] - Potentially the strongest card in Magmar at the moment, right up there with Makantor Warbeast. It trades up with almost every minion and is extremely hard to play around. It does require you to have/craft each rare in Magmar, though.

3. Sworn Sister L’Kian [0?] - Sworn Sister L’kian has replaced the other card draw in my decks (like Sojourner, Spelljammer) because it has two great benefits: first, it draws you (and only you) two cards. Second, it allows you to get cards in your deck you wouldn’t normally run. Such as Silithar Elder in Aggro, or Twin Fang in control, which can lead to alternate win cons.

4. Diretide Frenzy [120] - Staple in Aggro and Midrange, optional include in Control and Combo.

5. Egg Morph [300] - Staple in control and combo, optional in midrange. A very useful removal spell that turns an enemy minion into a harmless 0/1 egg

6. Young Silithar [120] - Staple in all Magmar decks.

7. Shiro Puppydragon [120] - A new card and a solid 2drop. Good in midrange and aggro.

8. Veteran Silithar [120] - Staple Midrange, Control, Combo, optional in Aggro.

9. Primus Fist [120] - Common include in Aggro and Midrange. Sometimes seen in Control.

10. Dancing Blades [120] - A very solid include, now that you draw less. It’s both a big body, and removal, for a good price.

11. Flameblood Warlock [300] - Usually only seen in aggro lists, this is the most ‘niche’ card in the lists. Since this one isn’t as essential to all decks, don’t feel forced to craft it. It’s a solid option for Aggro lists but doesn’t fit in as well elsewhere. If you plan on playing a lot of aggro, go for it.

The Duelyst Community
Circle of Fabrication

6.0 - Matchups

In this section, I’m going to go over each faction in depth, citing positioning, and trouble cards to watch out for against each. For a quick, not in depth statement, the matchup from hardest to easiest is generally: 6. Abyssian 5. Songhai 4. Vanar 3. Magmar 2. Lyonar 1. Vetruvian

Songhai: Currently, songhai plays a lot of threats they’ve been known for, along with a few new cards. Songhai is commonly seen using inner focus, lantern fox, killing edge, tusk boars, and so on, but now also with the addition of spelljammers, hamon bladeseeker, and others. Songhai essentially plays like a midrange deck, but with the ability to buff up their creatures more than we can. Backstab is making a return with Kaleos’ BBS, and so you do need to play carefully against Songhai so that you don’t make it easy for them. Songhai has many different ways to move minions into range, so watch your back. Always hold on to removal for their threats, as stopping a hamon bladeseeker on curve can be extremely hard if you don’t have an egg morph.

Spellhai should be pretty noticeable since they’ll play Chakri Avatar, Four Winds Magi, and drop several spells in a turn, like Heaven’s Eclipse. Usually, against Spellhai, it’s fine to move your general up and pressure with that, but you still want to protect your back and be wary, otherwise the Songhai general can use Blink to get minions into favorable positions. With Spellhai, Lantern Fox is definitely something to watch out for. The only ‘problem’ with Spellhai before was that it would run out of steam, but Fox can help cover their lulls with extra burn. Most of the damage they do is out of hand, but still try and remove whatever minions they do play, as they’re usually used for a reason.
Backstab minions can be quite a pain as they do extra damage on the backstab, and don’t get hit in response. Along with buffs like Killing Edge and Saberspine Seal, they can put out a high amount of damage in a turn. If you run them (or are in a tourney), try to keep at least one Rejuvenator (or Earth Sphere) in hand at all times against Songhai, if you can. Try to keep yourself from getting too low against them, and don’t use your general to kill minions unless you absolutely must. They will use Tusk Boar in a variety of ways to hurt you, so try to get rid of it when you can. It’s common for Songhai to use it to steal mana orbs when they play first, or for face damage/minion removal turn 2. Before killing a Tusk Boar, check how many cards the Songhai player has in hand. It’s unlikely, but if they have 6 cards in hand, the boar will be destroyed instead of going back to hand. This is also true with Lantern Fox, as they can’t get Phoenix Fire if their hand is full.

Another crucial card they have is Inner Focus, which reactivates a minion with 3 attack or less. After the reactivation, they can buff it with spells, so it’s common to see Sword of Mechazor + Inner Focus to clear your board, sometimes with buff spells.

Vetruvian: Vetruvian is not quite as overpowering as before, but still a threat to magmar… Vetruvian has been relying on strong, buffed up minions for some time. Since Magmar does not have a ranged dispell, our options to remove it are Egg Morph, Metamorphosis, and Natural Selection. All of the minions we have access to with Rush are not always enough to take out the unit. For example, a Third Wished Sand Howler is a 6/6. If we play a Saberspine Tiger + Diretide, that’s only 4 damage and isn’t enough to kill it.

You need to keep an eye out for Star’s Fury. With Third Wish no longer giving Blast, this card is making it’s way back into Vet decks. Most Vet decks don’t run the blast artifact, so they have no way to use out of hand blast, and you’re generally safe lining up. If necessary, you can attempt to bait the Vet into blasting your units instead of your general by lining up 2~ minions and moving your general away from them. Second Wish is currently one of their biggest threats. Being able to spawn a minion (Like a Saberspine Tiger) and hit your general with it, without the minion taking any damage, is huge… You also need to watch out for Rasha’s Curse, which will remove a random artifact and spawn a 2/2 dervish, Cosmic Flesh, which gives +1/3 and Provoke, Inner Oasis which grants +3 HP to all of their minions. Hexblade is also seeing an increase in play, due to how easy it handles your mid-late game drops.

Vetruvian is taking advantage of their good amount of in-faction card draw, with first wish, and wind shrike. Vetruvian’s decks are quite hard to play around. With Zirix’s BBS and dunecasters, second wish and more, you need to always be on your toes against them. If you’re running control type lists, use natural selections on obelysks as soon as possible, and try to drop larger minions to corner the Vet player in. They will beat you in a damage race, with very few exceptions, so you must try to play for value and pressure them with your larger minions. Their control variants are also a pain, as Aymaras and Dominate Wills can be crushing.

Currently one of Vet’s stronger cards is Scion’s Second Wish, giving a minion +2/2 and immunity from general damage. It’s used on tigers a lot due to rush, but is good on any minion.

Lyonar: Lyonar is a good matchup for Magmar. Although Lyonar is currently strong in this meta, Magmar has one of the best chances of beating them due to our good removal and minions. When playing against Lyonar, you always want to play your units diagonally, as if the Lyonar has frenzy. This is due to Holy Immolation, which is a very strong spell, that deals 4 damage to each of your minions, and general, while healing the unit it was cast on. You want to try and deny their value from that as much as possible. Lyonar will Martyrdom your big threats, so try to hold off on some until you’re getting a little lower on health, so that way it isn’t a free removal.

Another card to be on the watch for is Arclyte Regalia. It adds two to their general’s attack, but more important, prevents the first 2 damage that they take each turn. While the damage prevented can go up with additional equips, it is still only the first time they take damage. So deal damage with something small first, then hit them with the big stuff to remove the artifact. You also want to watch out for anything with big health, namely Ironcliffe Guardian, because the lyonar will Divine Bond it to get massive damage. Try and remove those Ironcliffes as soon as possible.

The big difference between positioning against Lyonar and Magmar, are Lyonar’s provoke units. It can be much harder to move around with them in the way, so you’ll likely end up using your minions to take out their provokes. You can get a lot of value with Diretide Frenzy against Lyonar, as they tend to try and block your general in with units, placing them close to each other.

Against Lyonar, you need to constantly watch for Divine Bond, from any point in the game. As a 2 mana spell, it’s an extremely strong card and can be used for buffing minions at any point. Even a simple Azurite Lion can deal 14 damage with roar + DB slapped on it. Lyonar is good at keeping minions on the board, so you need to play carefully and block yourself off from surprise lethals, if you can.

Magmar: Similarly to Lyonar, you always want to watch for frenzy. Play your minions diagonally, and try to ensure that you’re forcing them to either frenzy your minions, or your general and try to spread them out so there’re no more than 2-3 targets getting hit at a time.

While Metamorphosis used to be seen as the best removal in the game, it’s not really the case any longer. Metamorphosis was been nerfed fairly heavily, and it essentially functions as a higher cost egg morph right now. Even in control you only want one or two Metas. I wouldn’t expect it on the ladder very much.
Now, with Taygete, you need to try to always keep removal in hand. Taygete can be game winning if left unchecked. With her AoE and decent stats, she can be a real pain to deal with- especially if she ends up punching your buffed general or minions. You need a way to get rid of her that won’t force you into moving everything away, such as Egg Morph or a dispel. You should also be wary of their general as Twin Fang, Adamantite Claws, and Bounded Lifeforce are all cards people can use to punch you to death.

Vanar: Against Vanar, it’s important to toe the middle line. You don’t want to give them access to your side of the board, but you also want to remain wary of their side. If you get on their side, they may use Avalanche on you, and stun anything on their side of the board, as well as dealing 4 damage to it.

You want to keep them off your side of the board, for a few different reasons. First of all, Infiltrate. Obviously, you’re not going to be able to perfectly halt their advance, but try to limit what they get through. Respawning Snowchasers are a pain to deal with, Crystal Cloaker turns into a 4/3. The biggest threat, however, is Spirit of the Wilds (when pertaining to your side of the field), because it reactivates all minions on your side of the field, allowing them to set up lethal. Try not to get swarmed by their minions, if you can, because they’ll use buff cards like Razorback and Boundless Courage to deal massive damage. Vanar is also a faction that is weak to Frenzy, as they rely on board control.

Running dispell against Vanar can be very useful. Kara now pumps out over-statted minions that give Magmar a lot of trouble. Even with Meta, Egg Morph, and more, we still can’t keep up with all the big minions Kara can drop. Lightbenders are very useful and can even the playing field a bit, as well as helping with their trouble minions.

Against Faie, always make sure you don’t have any minions on the same column (the line going from top to bottom) as your general, because of their BBS. You want them to get as little value as possible, but the 2 damage ping is still very strong. You won’t always be able to play around it due to hearthsister, but you should try your best.

Abyssian: With Abyssian, you need to watch out for swarms of small minions, and position your units so that they’re a bit spread out. The main reason for spreading your units out against Abyssian is Grasp of Agony. It deals 3 damage to each of your units when the creature it was cast on dies. It can only be cast on your units, not the Abyssian’s. You can mitigate damage from this by keeping your general in between your minions, and positioning so that no more than 2 are touching at a time.

Abyssian has good burst, similar to Songhai. Abyssian is a faction currently full of ways to get out huge value minions quick and early. Shadow Dancer is a common abyssian card, especially in their Swarm type deck. It’s 4/4 and deals 1 damage to you, and heals their general for 1, for each minion that dies while it’s up. Save your warbeasts and tigers for these. Spectral Blade, an artifact, gives their general 2 attack and heals them for 2 when they kill a creature. It’s efficient removal, but easy to get rid of. The stronger card right now, is Spectral Revenant, a 6/6 rush that deals 4 damage to your general when it hits a minion. You also need to be on the lookout for Black Solus in conjunction with Lilithe’s BBS, as it’s by default a 6 mana 8/11. If they use Darkfire, it could be a 4 mana 8/11 as well, which is extremely strong.

Be on the lookout for burst in mid-late game, and try to hold on to heals to postpone it until you can win. A common finisher is slapping Deathfire Crescendo onto a wraithling or other minion and killing you with it.

Although, the meta now is more about Cassyva, either control or burn. Control is a very hard deck to play against, as they have good ways of removing your minions, and finishing you off with Revenants and Shadow Nova. Aggro Magmar has an okay chance of beating Cassyva, but if it gets past 7 mana it’s usually very dicey. Take care to try and play around shadow nova in the late game, by playing your creatures away from your general, so they have to choose to nova you, or your minions.

Mechaz0r: There are enough of these decks to warrant it’s own section. Mechaz0r can be quite strong in a few certain decks, namely Vanar, and Songhai, in particular. Vanarhas a way of giving Mechaz0r rush, letting it act on the turn it’s summoned, which puts them ahead. Vanar edges Songhai out because their spell that activates Mechaz0r on the turn it’s played also reactivates any other minions on your side of the board, which can lead to a quick lethal.

Songhai has enough built in burst and damage capabilities that Mechazor is a solid finisher for them. Unfortunately, in a budget list, Magmar doesn’t have many options for dealing with Mechazor. The spell we have that takes care of it is Metamorphosis, and Mechaz0r is one of the reasons why it’s the top of the list to craft for legendaries.

7.0 - Upgrading your Magmar Lists

7.1 - Crafting Guide
Here, I want to go more in depth with Magmar and Neutral Legendaries, Rares, and Epics and will mark which decks they’re used in, similar to how I did with the crafting guide earlier. Finish crafting your commons/rares in the above guide before moving on to this. Some legendaries aren’t cut out for certain decks, so pick from the type you’d like most and craft the legendaries shown in that list.

1. Zen’rui, the Blightspawned [2700] - A card that’s very good against several decks, for great tempo swings. Extremely good against Cassy for stealing Kelaino, Songhai for foxes, and so on.
2. Twin Fang [2700] - Staple in Midrange and aggro, optional in Control. Fantastic finisher with potential for extremely high damage.
3. Elucidator [300] - Used in aggro, and can see play in midrange as well.
4. Archon Spellbinder [2700] - Staple in Midrange, Control, and Combo. A strong body with a cheap cost and an effect that seriously hurts Songhai and Cassyva
5. Silithar Elder [2700] - Staple in control, optional in Midrange. A card Magmar often receives flak for, because it’s extremely hard to remove, and can overpower enemies all on it’s own.
6. Kujata [1050] - Used in aggro and midrange, and occasionally seen in control lists. Works very well with Twin Fang.

7. Araki Headhunter [1050] - Used in aggro and midrange, a very solid 2-drop that can reach high amounts of attack quickly.
8. Vindicator [2700] - With the Vindicator change, the card is almost dead right now. Decks it’s used in aren’t very great. It’s too slow and not enough of a threat in the aggro decks that might use Starhorn.

7.2 - Midrange

Midrange is a good deck that focus on pumping out good minions at every stage of the game. Twin Fang is a card that I love, and I feel it works best in this sort of deck. You have plenty of minions to use as fodder to grow the artifact, and can move in for the kill… If your opponent doesn’t have artifact removal, then your general turns into a juggernaut, forcing them to run away and try to stop your warpath. It has a flexslot with Archon Spellbinder and Zen’rui that I’m testing out. These can be easily substituted for other threats.

[11,960]
7.3 - Control

Control is doing solidly with the new patch, but it’s still rather weak to some aggro decks. As the name states, you use your spells like eggmorph, nat selection, plasma, meta to control the enemy’s board, and finish with strong late game minions. This is my current variant, in which every card played is either heals or removal, and you rely on your general for finishers.
http://duelystdb.com/landscape/87685df51e1eb3f7041fb12196b9bde4.png

[12,040]
7.4 - Aggro

Aggro is currently quite strong. With the ability to draw 5 cards at the start, you’re able to set up good plays turns in advance, like a strong Twin Fang kill.

[10,410]
There’s also another kind of aggro which I’ve been testing, that uses Starhorn as the general. It’s more of a ‘hyper’ version of aggro that goes for very quick games, win or lose.

[11,460]
7.5 - Combo

Combo as we know it is dead. However, a new form of OTK mag has cropped up, but it’s not really reliable. It’s a very hilarious deck, and while I don’t see it being played outside of lols, I’ll include it for consistency. The way you play the deck, is:1. Have Kujata on board2. Equip Twin Fang3. Play Dance of Dreams4. Cycle through your deck5. Punch enemy general with a huge twin fang

[6,460]

8.0 - Changelog

Updated 3.2 Magmar’s Strengths
Minor change in 3.5 How To Play
Updated 5.0 Crafting Priority
Updated most faction matchups in 6.0 Matchups
Updated 7.2-7.4 Magmar lists and reviews.
Guide up to date through patch 1.68.0

Lyvern’s guides <3
Now to read the whole thing.

budget

Manakor

Isn’t there a budget deck for people without Manakors? >.>

Well, there probably are some. However, Makantor is epic, so it’s not that hard to craft, and it’s just SO good. So good!

I really don’t have the dust for that.

Honestly, if you have that little dust, Magmar may not be the best faction for you right now. Typically Lyonar is better for ultrabudget decks, because it has powerful basic, common, and rare cards.

I mean I own 100% of the Common and Rare cards and a majority of the Epics and Legendaries. I own a bunch of cards, it’s just that Manakor is not one of the cards that I own.

I meant to reply to you with my earlier message.

There’s a budget Magmar deck here written by Pylons, one of the main community deck-builders - it should upgrade pretty neatly into Iyvern’s list as you craft Makantor Warbeast and the relevant Rares :slight_smile:

I gave options to replace makantor with directly under the budget list…?

Liked for the title alone.

Nice long guide.

Some things that need updating though:

1. tiger and diretide images (RIP cheap frenzy cats)
  2. second wish no longer draws but mentioned in Vet’s card draw
  3. no more rush mechazor with Vindicator changes (mentioned under Mechazor section)

Not much on Bounded Lifeforce. Would be nice to add a bit on it.

Hail Magmar :slight_smile:

Fixed on all accounts but bounded info. I’m not actually a big fan of that card. =P I’ll add more about it eventually.

This guide is really good, and I might use a few of these in my climb. Thanks for putting this out there for people to see!

am I too late for the Ash training center? :confused:

Nope! It’s just going through a remodeling currently. It will be back up in full soon enough.

So I’m a little confused. The image in section 3.3 shows egg morph and no flash reincarnation. But section 3.4 on essential cards features flash reincarnation and then section 3.6 discusses them both.

So which do we use or do we use both? In which case it’ll be a 43 card deck?

can you make an updated guide?
shimzar changed a lot of these cards

An update will be coming out. Shim’zar introduced a lot of changes that take time to write up about.