A collection of decks for the gentleman hamster

Hi guys, ever since I stopped streaming nobody knows what the hell I’m playing these days, so I thought I’d make a quick post that consists of a bunch of decks that I play and a few ongoing experimental lists.

I could just make an Imgur post like Grinch does but I thought a forum post would be more interactive. So yeah, here goes…

Bond Lyonar

A lot of the tier lists have Bond Lyonar as the deck to beat right now and I have to say I agree, its consistent and powerful. I myself spent most of the last season in top10 with this (before tanking, lol).

My version ditches sunbloom in favour of Shroud; I prefer shroud simply because this choice allows me to play 10 2-drops! Similarly, since Sun Wisp draws a card when played thus I can keep the curve low while also ensuring I don’t gass out.

The other unique feature of the deck is the choice to run Pandora over Zir. I could write three pages on this choice alone, but for now I’ll simply state that most of the wolves Pandora spawns are good in Lyonar and the 3/10 stats also make her a good bond target. In many matchups this combination makes Pandora quite the formidible lategame powerhouse; opponents will often need to get close to deal with her and the wolves (e.g. lightbender) but in doing so risk the divine bond.

Tips for playing:

1. Understand that running Pandora over Zir completely changes how you play the mid-phase of the game.
  2. As with all Lyonar decks right now, Slo is a monster if played correctly, so focus on understanding how to use this card; in most cases, its more powerful in the hand than on the board, which kinda makes this card unique.

AGGRO ABYSS

So this is probably the deck I’m most known for, I’ve always said this deck is nuts but for whatever reason this deck has never really become meta. A pity, but there isn’t a lot I can do about that. :slight_smile:

There is a guide on the forum for this thing, if interested.

FLOOD HORN

With the release of Shimzar Starhorn got a bunch of tools and that enabled a “Zoo” playstyle, and this style of play is one of my favourite ways to play Duelyst. Indeed, Razor Skin is probably my favourite card in the whole of Shimzar expansion.

Anyway, I digress. The point of this deck is to aggressively expand onto the board with a host of small but sticky threats. I have two versions showcased here; one trying to just get minions on board and the other trying to add a little bit of late game combo potential. However, since this deck is more of a “concept” than definitive list of dudes this ends up being one of those decks where most of the cards are interchangeable and you can tweak it according to your preference.

Personally I find this sort of deck fun to play and reasonably competitive (I have climbed to S-rank with it twice now). Hopefully the next expansion will provide even more support for the archetype.

tips for playing:

1. Be aggressive, and don’t be a pussy; if you play around turn 2 Slo Immolation you lose.
  2. protect and set up your snowball cards; not only does Mirkblood/Shiro/Razor skin turn small guys into threats its also the case that these cards can also make your board much resilient against shit like Plasma storm and/or Frostburn.

Again, somewhere on the forums you can read about my previous attempts at building this archetype.

CONTROL VET

So this list I’ve been playing for most of this season. I must confess I don’t really like playing Vetruvian much, but hey, I’m a completionist and I wanna get the faction to level 50 :stuck_out_tongue:

The deck has a bunch of value minions and a decent amount of heal (to utilise Sajj Bbs you bloody need that!) The aim of the game it outvalue the opponent (either through minions and/or card advantage) and then smack them with some sort of artifact combo (Eg Staff + Hex + Time Mael = 14 dmg).

This deck is also an interesting experiment for me; most of the time when deckbuilding I consider it a failure when I have a bunch of 2-of’s or 1-ofs; I’m the sort of player that almost always builds for max consistency. But here, I’ve been much more liberal with one-ofs than I normally would be.

Tips for playing:

1. Wings is used for mana ramp (e.g as Player 2 T1= wings T2 = Nimbus) and for dealing with ranged minions. Basically, its a sweet little card that provides a lot of flexibility. Honestly I think this card should see a lot more play than it currently does.

2. GroveKeeper is for Lyonar Meta, right? Nope. Again, when it comes to deck building, I hate running “tech cards” for the most part; and that comes down to the fact I like to build for consistency. So no, this card isn’t here to specifically beat the Lyonars on ladder (though, of course, it does well against them!), actually, this card is for Songhai and Abyssian. In the spirit of games, I’ll let you guys try to figure out why I say that :stuck_out_tongue:

CONTROL SONGHAI (experimental)

OKAY so this is the deck I am currently working on. In the thread below I’ve written a little building diary, which may be of interest to those that like to see the building process in action…

I’ll be honest, I’m a bit disappointed with how things turned out here. As I tinkered the deck got progressively faster, and eventually it got to the state that it is now. Honestly, this attempt at “control” is probably just a bad midrange list, which is a shame, but hey not every deckbuilding experiment will be successful.

I should probably qualify what I mean by “successful” when when talking about decks. For me hiting S is a peice of piss and so therefore that is not a good measure of a deck. Rather, I define a “good deck” as being something I think I could finish a season in the top20 with (a highly subjective measure, most admittedly). Basically, I’m 100% confident I could hit S with this shit, but I am currently unsure as to whether I could to much more than that. Thus, by my own metrics, this deck is currently a failure.

After a bunch of games I decided that Gnasher wasn’t really good enough, but I have thus far been happy with the performance of both Beastmaster and Xho, so those guys are going to survive this round of ‘the culling’.

Additionally, I swapped to Kaleos. In theory I think his BBS is powerful and I wanted to tinker with a deck the utilised that BBS in a technical way (as opposed to just buffing shit with the 5 mana cat thing). but utlimately that is hard to consistently and unfortunatly I think the exact list would be improved by just switching back to Reva.

Holy shit that Sajj deck is really something else. I won’t even try to fully decipher and will just take it for what it is. Using Wings as a form of ramp is something I’m hearing of for the first time, pretty interesting idea. And even without knowing that I’d still agree how the card is underrated.

My limited game knowledge tells me how grove is there purely to pop your own aymara. I don’t play vet myself due to not having aymaras just yet but if I did, I would definitely put grove in for that reason, especially now in lyonar infested meta where it’s even more useful.

Full marks.

I consider the ability to kill of your own Ayamara to be of great importance; the deathrattle is a powerful one and if it is not dispelled it is usually thrown into narnia (Aggro/Tempo likes Repulosor beast, Cass is fond of Luring your shit and Songhai has Jux), thus running a card that secures you that 10 life swing is a nice option to have. In a way, the logic on display here is similar to Lyonar running Magnetise for thier Ironcliffs.

The other option for this Aymara trick is Sunset Paragon. And yes, the Lyonar meta is why I prefered grove over sunset.

You can play Vet without Aymaras easily.

You can, but why would you of you have the Aymaras? I mean, their potential to secure wins or turn tables if unanswered is something almost every deck could use.

That’s the whole gameplay of Starhorn, right there.

Thanks for sharing, really interested in trying out the Reva list or hearing your thoughts on how it turns out :>

For Control Reva, I’d recommend taking out Xho and adding Shiro.

Xho is in general not very good, you can’t direct your efforts early and too many punishes late.

Shiro on the other hand helps all your 3 attack minions (of which you have many) get out of Plasma Storm, and since the list is dubbed “control”, its ability to keep pumping value out of nowhere is super useful. I’ve been playing with Shiro lately, and even a single tick on 3 minions can swing the game massively. A late game Shiro surrounded by a gaggle of Heartseekers is a sight to behold.

Plus, it basically guarantees ramp.

Question, how well has the Gnasher been paying off for you, and how would you compare it to Sword of Mechaz0r?

Finally, loving the Grovekeeper to kill own Aymara idea. Most people get me by killing their Aymaras with Dancing Blades, heh.

It was aimed @raqyee who said he doesn’t have them

I used to run dancing blades for this function a while ago. Huh, never thought of grovekeeper. Sadly, I haven’t got any spare spirit to make some of these cards as I’m saving up gold for the upcoming expansion, feverishly awaiting the new Vet cards. That gold I’d rather keep for expo orbs than spend for spirit right now.

yeah so, right now the current list has about 15 games ~~ so really I haven’t played enough to have an opinion on say Gnasher vs sword.

As for shiro vs Xho, well, I’ve been watched a bit of Flux’s stream and the general “vibe” i get from songhai is is two main thoughts:

1. Songhai needs a lot of draw.
  2. Xho sucks.

(1) seem about right by my estimation, but maybe (2) is inaccurate. So I dunno, I’m gonna play Xho until I am convinced it is flat our worse than some other card. But If I do swap it out then sure, Shiro will be a consideration.

I only posted this list because, I dunno, maybe some people would be interested in seeing the process; from initial idea to refined list.

I believe any list with Xho will be better when Xho is removed. But do keep us apprised of your own findings.

And sure, refinement is half the fun :slight_smile:

Also, yeah, your Control List has very little draw, and the curve isn’t actually low enough to avoid having any draw, unless it wins by being tempo/aggro, and not control. It sort of reminds me of Draco Moriary’s list, that has cards that fit control, and cards that really don’t. He too runs Xho.

THE ADVENTURES OF BUILDING CTRL SONGHAI.

As eluded to in the OP, I thought I’d briefly show you guys the different versions of the list as I innervate and test different shit.

the first version of the deck was:

So this bad boy is my newest creation and as a result the list most likely to change. But anyway, I find it amusing that most of the time I’m considered an aggro player, but when it comes to songhai – the faction most known for its aggro capabilities – I like to build a fucking slow-as-shit turtle. I guess I’m just weird, lol.

Unlike the Sajj list, the one-of here are mostly experimental cards; things I’m trying for a bit as I try to find a cohesive direction for the deck. At the moment, the current Idea is to control enemy movement and consistently threaten to blow up their board with combos. Maybe Reva isn’t the best general for this, but hey, as I said at the outset I still have a lot of work to do with the list.

Anyway, here’s a few reasons for playing all the one-ofs…

I’m trying Pandora because hey Inner Focus is sweet with it and its a good card in its own right.

I’m also trying beastmaster too. In all of the Shimzars cards this little guy is probably the card I’m most surprised by. I mean, in Songhai this dude is OTK with Focus and Killing Edge and a 5 mana Makantor with Inner Focus. Maybe there is a really good reason why Songhai has never really adopted this card, I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

As for one-of GroveKeeper, well, since this deck seems to be all about making baby makantors I thought fuck it why not add a 5th. :stuck_out_tongue: The thought of killing an Iron cliff and then Frenzying a 2-drop or some shit just sounds like too much fun to not try.

I’ll be honest, I’m a bit disappointed with how things turned out here. As I tinkered the deck got progressively faster, and eventually it got to the state that it is now. Honestly, this attempt at “control” is probably just a bad midrange list, which is a shame, but hey not every deckbuilding experiment will be successful.

After a bunch of games I decided that Gnasher wasn’t really good enough, but I have thus far been happy with the performance of both Beastmaster and Xho, so those guys are going to survive this round of ‘the culling’.

Additionally, I swapped to Kaleos. In theory I think his BBS is powerful and I wanted to tinker with a deck the utilised that BBS in a technical way (as opposed to just buffing shit with the 5 mana cat thing). but utlimately that is hard to consistently and unfortunatly I think the exact list would be improved by just switching back to Reva.

This may seem as dumb question, but that Lilithe aggro list is viable to get S with? Great stuff as always Smash. Bonus question for you : can I add you in game for replay goodies?

all the lists posted are S-viable and I ordered the lists most powerful first.

in the case of aggro abyss I finished August season (i think?) S#6, and hit s with it (different iterations, of course) probably 4-5 times.

As for IGN replays, this is something I just dont do. sorry.

Thats so weird though i played literally the exact same vett deck before the siphon nerf… Feels weird to see it on a forum. Only difference was that i used siphon over empheral shroud cause it was way better. Funny thing is though the deck was always pretty bad when facing aggro decks which it what control is supposed to “control”

Decimus Spike: Get it before its nerfed

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.